• Exile on Main St.
    • Goats Head Soup
    • It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
    • Black and Blue
    • Some Girls
    • Emotional Rescue
    • Tattoo You

Exile, because I can only pick one.

Ditto. I love Sticky Fingers and Some Girls and almost went with Some Girls as it's the album I can listen to through-and-through the most without skipping tracks (there are some clunkers on both Exile and Sticky, imo) but the amount of tunes that blow me away on it are too strong to ignore. However, "Moonlight Mile" is probably the best tune they wrote (imo) but it can't, alone, take the place of Exile's collective power.

It was between Beggars, Let it Bleed, and Exile. I picked Exile because it has so few radio staples. It was the first Stones album I listened to for itself, not for what I heard on classic rock. For a a somewhat similar reason, I almost voted for Emotional Rescue. The first Stones album being released. I really like the title track (as strange as it is) and "She's So Cold" just rocks.

Beggars Banquet.....(and between the Buttons....)

LouieB

Yep. :thumbup

I know it's just a matter of taste, but Beggars is not only my favorite Stones LP it's gotta be a top 5 all time (rock) for me as well. I had that record when it came out (I was a wee lad) and I never tire of it.

I'll second Lou and Danny for BTB - many gems on that one too. And I know EVERYONE hates Satanic Majesties but I like that one quite a lot. Hell, "Citadel", "2000 Light Years", "The Lantern" - all great recordings, and great riffs.

edit: And I DO think Exile is a great fucking record, but I would put it in the category of many double LPs (I'm thinking Blonde On Blonde, Physical Graffiti, etc.) where, if it had been paired down to a single disc, it would be the best LP by that particular artist/ band.

I'll second Lou and Danny for BTB - many gems on that one too. And I know EVERYONE hates Satanic Majesties but I like that one quite a lot. Hell, "Citadel", "2000 Light Years", "The Lantern" - all great recordings, and great riffs.

Yeah, I am actually among the two or three people who really like Satanic Majesties also. It's one of my favorite releases of theirs.

--Mike

Love the new avatar, Mike. :thumbup Has there ever been a more wasted looking dude than Brian on that cover?

Yeah, I am actually among the two or three people who really like Satanic Majesties also. It's one of my favorite releases of theirs.

--Mike

I like Satanic too, but not my favorite. Great stuff on there though.

(I got an original version, cut out, believe it or not....)

LouieB

Let It Bleed and Aftermath are the only Rolling Stones albums that ever really won me over. There are a few songs from Beggard Banquet I like too, not to speak of "Safisfaction", a shot of genius.

The Stones never sounded better with Let It Bleed. With a track like "Gimme Shelter" to set the tone, it's hard to beat.

hahahaha I just put on Let It Bleed and holy hell is Gimme Shelter a great fucking song. They don't make em like the stones any more. Jeez.

Possibly their best song. Really hard to top that one.

I picked Exile as a total album (I even love the "clunkers" others have alluded to), but it doesn't have more than one or two of my favorite Stones songs on it. It's just such a great album from start to finish -- sort of their London Calling, in my opinion (or maybe London Calling was The Clash's Exile on Main St.).

I also dearly love Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Aftermath, Flowers, and two or three others ... there are times when I start thinking that they really were better than the Beatles -- at their peak, anyway.

Possibly their best song. Really hard to top that one.

I picked Exile as a total album (I even love the "clunkers" others have alluded to), but it doesn't have more than one or two of my favorite Stones songs on it. It's just such a great album from start to finish -- sort of their London Calling, in my opinion (or maybe London Calling was The Clash's Exile on Main St.).

I also dearly love Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Aftermath, Flowers, and two or three others ... there are times when I start thinking that they really were better than the Beatles -- at their peak, anyway.

You don't get much better than gimme shelter in my opinion. But they were never, ever, better than the Beatles. :)

Has any band ever had a better four year (album) run than the Stones with Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile?

As a footnote, I miss the era when bands made records every year or every other year.