New album news!

I don't see the jam band similarity. Having been pretty heavily into the HORDE era of the jamband scene, it seems to me that a lot of that music was (is?) made up of each band member playing a lot of notes a lot of the time. In the current Wilco lineup, each member plays very little most of the time. Granted Nels' solos tend to contain a lot of notes, but during the non-solo portions of their concerts, they are very much an ensemble in which each small part makes up the whole sound. This is not true of most bands, jam or otherwise. The Muzzle of Bees video performance from Burn to Shine is a perfect illustration if this.

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you'd love A.M. with all the solos removed? BT with no solos? ST with no solos (killer guitar is exactly what makes the title track)? YHF with no killer guitars? Seriously? AGIB? I always thought killer guitar work was one of Wilco's hallmarks; I could be wrong.

This strikes me as overly defensive. Surely you can see the difference in the guitar styles of pre- and post-Nels Wilco, and understand that the work that Nels does may not be to some people's liking, despite the fact that he's extremely technically proficient?

i think Airline to Heaven got a huge upgrade when Nels came along. Same with Mountain Bed. He's just got a better feel for melody with the slide than Jay or Bob Egan or whoever was playing slide in the earlier days.

I am not sure it would be possible for me to agree less. To each his own.

Guest Speed Racer
Surely you can see the difference in the guitar styles of pre- and post-Nels Wilco, and understand that the work that Nels does may not be to some people's liking, despite the fact that he's extremely technically proficient?

Yeah, which is exactly why I address that in the second paragraph that you didn't quote. Good read!

I hate to be pushy but I would also love a reupping of these tracks....

It's not gonna be happening from me anytime soon. Computer is in a serious funk (Checkdisk 2 days and counting?) But people have downloaded it before. If someone else could do it, that would be great!

Yeah, which is exactly why I address that in the second paragraph that you didn't quote. Good read!

You address the fact that Nels's "killer" guitar is different from Jay Bennett's "killer" guitar in your second paragraph? You address the fact that in your defensiveness you attribute motives and opinions to jakobnicholas that he surely did not intend?

The fact that someone does not like the direction a band has taken does not disqualify him or her from listening to and/or commenting on that band's music. There's no need to be so defensive.

And if you want emotion, don't forget his solo during She's A Jar. I have no idea how he makes that sound, but it sounds like several classical stringed instruments together.. About got me teary eyed as well in Asheville.

Probably my fave moment in Asheville. Definite chills the entire song.

Guest Speed Racer
You address the fact that Nels's "killer" guitar is different from Jay Bennett's "killer" guitar in your second paragraph? You address the fact that in your defensiveness you attribute motives and opinions to jakobnicholas that he surely did not intend?

The fact that someone does not like the direction a band has taken does not disqualify him or her from listening to and/or commenting on that band's music. There's no need to be so defensive.

Yes, I do. I talk about how I liked the Old 97's, then they changed and I don't like their new output anymore. I assumed (wrongfully?) that a reasonable person might draw from that the comparison that he or she liked Wilco, and then they changed and now he or she does not like Wilco's new output any more.

Please read the original context of my post you quoted, on page 37; I was responding to junkiesmile, not jakobnicholas, and in fact directly responded to the intentions of his post.

Is there a need to come on this thread and say "this new album is going to suck, just like Sky Blue Sky, because of that damn Nels Cline and his emotionless wanking"?

We all like Wilco. Some of us think the bad is smokin' right now and are excited for the new album. Others think the band is at a low point and assume the album won't be very good. Both are valid opinions, but what's the bigger crime, attempting to fend off negativity (sometimes in the form of defensiveness) or creating negativity (by badmouthing the musicianship of certain members of the band)?

Yes, I do. I talk about how I liked the Old 97's, then they changed and I don't like their new output anymore. I assumed (wrongfully?) that a reasonable person might draw from that the comparison that he or she liked Wilco, and then they changed and now he or she does not like Wilco's new output any more.

Please read the original context of my post you quoted, on page 37; I was responding to junkiesmile, not jakobnicholas, and in fact directly responded to the intentions of his post.

It seems to me that junkiesmile (sorry, got my 'j's confused) was stating a perfectly valid opinion that he or she feels that Wilco's music relies too heavily on Nels Cline's guitar solos, in contrast to earlier Wilco incarnations, which did not. It is possible to dislike one aspect of a band's output and still like the band's work as a whole. Preferring that Wilco move away from the reliance on long guitar breakdowns he or she feels diminished the quality/emotion/etc. of Sky Blue Sky, and has the potential to do the same to the new album, does not mean that his or her opinion on Wilco's music is invalidated, nor does it mean that he or she needs to stop listening to and commenting on Wilco's albums.

There remains no need to be so defensive.

Is there a need to come on this thread and say "this new album is going to suck, just like Sky Blue Sky, because of that damn Nels Cline and his emotionless wanking"?

We all like Wilco. Some of us think the bad is smokin' right now and are excited for the new album. Others think the band is at a low point and assume the album won't be very good. Both are valid opinions, but what's the bigger crime, attempting to fend off negativity (sometimes in the form of defensiveness) or creating negativity (by badmouthing the musicianship of certain members of the band)?

Seems to me, this is a thread to discuss the new Wilco album. There's no reason every comment has to be positive.

Guest Speed Racer
My name is Ben, actually.

Guess I would have been closer if I'd have guessed 'Pot.'

He said, "Wilco used to have killer guitar work," I said, "They still do, you just don't like it and that's okay. I used to like a band and don't anymore, I get it." Then you posted five times about how I was defensive. That's fine; that's what the board is here for. :yes

We all like Wilco. Some of us think the bad is smokin' right now and are excited for the new album. Others think the band is at a low point and assume the album won't be very good.

And then there's some of us who...despite thinking this isn't the best incarnation of Wilco...think Wilco is still VERY good, are very excited for the new album AND assume the new album will be very enjoyable.

Guess I would have been closer if I'd have guessed 'Pot.'

He said, "Wilco used to have killer guitar work," I said, "They still do, you just don't like it and that's okay. I used to like a band and don't anymore, I get it." Then you posted five times about how I was defensive. That's fine; that's what the board is here for. :yes

:lol

Yes, that's exactly how it played out.

Regardless, we can agree to disagree.

And then there's some of us who...despite thinking this isn't the best incarnation of Wilco...think Wilco is still VERY good, are very excited for the new album AND assume the new album will be very enjoyable.

That's how I feel, except I believe this is the best incarnation of Wilco.

Even if it's their worst album, it definitely will not suck..

One can't be a true Wilco fan and say that SBS sucks, or AM sucks, etc. They may not be your favorite of their albums but I know you don't think they suck, or else you wouldn't be hanging out at Via Chicago. :)

One can't be a true Wilco fan and say that SBS sucks, or AM sucks, etc. They may not be your favorite of their albums but I know you don't think they suck, or else you wouldn't be hanging out at Via Chicago. :)

Good bit.