I don't know if this is happening everywhere or just here in metro Detroit. All cds and dvds are 50% off "while supplies last." Of course that only brings the price down to reasonable, but still.

We had some discussion about this in the Neko thread.

RETAIL: Tanking CD Sales Shutter Stores

The article is not online yet, but I just read the opening of it in the new print issue of Rolling Stone. The article states that the reason Border's is doing this is that they are going to possibly get rid of 70% of their cds and dvds. It also talks about the Virgin Megastores that are closing.

Edited by Analogman

I asked an employee and he said they we rearranging. When I asked if it was to make more room for the coffee and gift cards he said he wasn't sure.

I asked an employee and he said they we rearranging. When I asked if it was to make more room for the coffee and gift cards he said he wasn't sure.

Also in the article I mentioned above, it suggests that Wal Mart was going to do away with cds all together until they saw how many millions of people bought the last Eagles cd there. OF course, that was the only way to get it. We don't have a Borders here, but I use to go to one in PA. The whole bottom floor of the place was filled with rows and rows of cds. That's gone now.

It's depressing to see that music is disappearing all over the place. Over the last ten years or so I've rarely bought anything from Borders due to the high prices, but it was always nice to see some decent music on the shelves.

I have fond memories of buying CD's from Borders in my early teens when I was really getting into music for the first time. That's where a lot of my Beatles CD's came from, and I remember my dad buying the two of us some Neil Young to "co-own" from that store. Years later I purchased Summerteeth at Borders.

It's depressing to see that music is disappearing all over the place. Over the last ten years or so I've rarely bought anything from Borders due to the high prices, but it was always nice to see some decent music on the shelves.

I have fond memories of buying CD's from Borders in my early teens when I was really getting into music for the first time. That's where a lot of my Beatles CD's came from, and I remember my dad buying the two of us some Neil Young to "co-own" from that store. Years later I purchased Summerteeth at Borders.

It's depressing and hard to remember/recognize that we have more music available to us in more ways now than ever before.

Borders changed my music listening life when I was in high school and it came to town. It was right before downloading entire albums was practical and all of my income was disposable income. Compared to the only other store in town, Best Buy, their selection was like a revelation. I haven't even wandered into the music section of a Borders in years, but it will be weird to go in there and not even have the option.

• 2 weeks later...

okay, so my experience is usually that these sets are not worth it. the 'extras' just aren't that great and they just sit on a shelf. i might look at it once a year. case in point, the sojourner's magnolia electric co box set. of course, their best album, nashville moon was in there, but they should've just released that. here's an idea, how about a band focus on making a really good album rather than dressing it up with a bunch of extra crap. less is more when it comes to rock as far as i am concerned. interesting article though. trent reznor's got it right i think...

• 3 weeks later...

Just went to my local Borders at lunch for the 50% off CD/DVD sale. While not everything was 50% off, a lot the secondary (so to speak) inventory was.

I picked up Of Montreal's "Coquelicot" 12.99 50% off. 70 minutes (plus CD packaging) for 7 bucks is not bad.

(I also picked up Sonic Youth's "Daydream Nation" which was not on sale; but I had a 30% coupon: 11.99 30% off pretty good for a classic record).

(I also picked up Sonic Youth's "Daydream Nation" which was not on sale; but I had a 30% coupon: 11.99 30% off pretty good for a classic record).

I'm hoping this is to replace the one that you already wore out! :P

I'm hoping this is to replace the one that you already wore out! :P

Ha! No, I am a dork. Always on my "to get" list (for "Teenage Riot" alone, no?) but never did, for whatever reasons. Overall, I am a little SY challenged.

Just picked up:

Rancid - Let's Go

I have the double 10" white vinyl, but no turntable to play it on, anymore.

It's nice to hear this again; especially "Radio" (one of my favorite songs, evah).

Just picked up:

Rancid - Let's Go

I have the double 10" white vinyl, but no turntable to play it on, anymore.

It's nice to hear this again; especially "Radio" (one of my favorite songs, evah).

That is a fantastic song. Have you ever heard the 7" version? It's even better, IMO.