http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/5451...ds-in-june.html

this was the precursor to emusic for me. i got some much shit i had just an ancillary interest in only to sell the cds at the local used shop. used bins are always packed with bmg discs:)

I also despised some of their tomfoolery, but I got a lot of great CDs back then.

I remember when you first signed up, they had a deal for 13 cd's for a penny or something like that. I sent them the penny, but I have a feeling they would have honored the agreement anyway.

http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/5451...ds-in-june.html

this was the precursor to emusic for me. i got some much shit i had just an ancillary interest in only to sell the cds at the local used shop. used bins are always packed with bmg discs:)

Wow I didn't even realize this was still around anyways...I remember buy 1 get six free...shipping was loony but it was a good deal. First batch of disks I got from BMG included Jayhawks "Hollywood Town Hall" and Bjork's "Debut" back in 92. Both disks I still cherish!

Wow I didn't even realize this was still around anyways...I remember buy 1 get six free...shipping was loony but it was a good deal. First batch of disks I got from BMG included Jayhawks "Hollywood Town Hall" and Bjork's "Debut" back in 92. Both disks I still cherish!

yeah, i pretty much filled out my springsteen and dylan catalogs as a result of this service. it was always fun getting that package of 6 CDs. it was like christmas were someone actually had an idea of what music you wanted!

They didn't keep very good records. I probably signed up as a "new" subscriber four or five times and got their 12-CDs-for-a-penny deal (or whatever it was) every time.

There are still a whole bunch of discs in my collection that bear their annoying little imprint.

Can't say I'm too broken up to see that they're headed out the door, but this does bring back a memory or two.

You and me both. And I'm guessing we weren't alone.

Me too. When I was a minor, I signed up a few times and refused to pay them anything. It was great.

I did the getting the 12 for a penny deal and then never fulfilling the agreement thing a few times too and so did half of the people I know. The selection really wasn't that great. It was usually stuff you could find in the used bin of a music store for $4 anyway. I recall enjoying looking through the catalog and all the little inserts though. You had to select what genre of music you liked and you got a catalog specific to that, right? That wasn't cool...what musical narrow-mindedness!

Back in the day, I would order the introductory package in the name of all my pets (ie: Tom Katz, Goldie Fish) . I had gobs of lps, then later, cds coming all the time. Finally, they enforced the "one membership per address" rule.

Back when I use to buy used cds, I would end up with a lot of BMG stamped cds. I think a lot of people use to rip them off, and sell them to the place where I use to buy cds. I think I still have most of them. I recall having to usually replace the jewel case, as they would be cracked. When I was a kid, people did this via Columbia House - which still exists.

You and me both. And I'm guessing we weren't alone.

You were not. I figure if they would actually send a buncha CDs to a guy named "Zog J. Interloper," why the hell not?

Oh, and the little record album cover stamps that Columbia House had back in the '70s were pretty awesome.

Guest Speed Racer

Carrie Brownstein had a fun blog post about this today: Mourning What We Thought Was Already Dead

I joined when I was in 8th grade, and have been an on/off BMG binger ever since. Toward the end I would sort by label, and bought up most of the Nonesuch and Blue Note they offered (which was quite a bit). Got most of my Kinks, Dylan, Neil Young and Sonic Youth there. Art Blakey. Not sure who was scamming who, but my ears have always thanked them.

edit: Oh, and I rejoined all the damned time throughout a calendar year - don't know why folks ever tried to use different names. After I realized the FBI probably wouldn't come after me, I rejoined with the same address and name about two months after canceling. Never had an issue.