Jason Molina/Magnolia Electric Co/Songs:Ohia

wondering if any jason molina fans could point me in the right direction for where to start with his vast catalog of recorded output.....

or maybe a list of your favorite tunes (a best of jason molina mixtape, if you will)

thanks in advance...

I will take on this challenge.

Songs: Ohia - The Lioness

Songs: Ohia - The Tigeress

Songs: Ohia - Lightening Risked It All

Songs: Ohia - Untitled #1 (The first song from Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma)

Songs: Ohia - Didn't It Rain

Songs: Ohia - Blue Factory Flame

Magnolia Electric Co. - Farewell Transmission

Magnolia Electric Co. - I've Been Riding With The Ghost

Magnolia Electric Co. - Hold On Magnolia

Magnolia Electric Co. - I Can Not Have Seen The Light

Magnolia Electric Co. - Leave The City

Magnolia Electric Co. - Texas 71

Jason Molina - Long Desert Train

Jason Molina - It's Easier Now

Jason Molina - Somethings Never Try

Jason Molina - Steady Now

Really, there's a bunch of albums that you could pick any song off of it. My favorite Molina albums are:

Songs: Ohia - The Lioness

Songs: Ohia - Ghost Tropic

Songs: Ohia - Didn't it Rain

Magnolia Electric Co. s/t

Magnolia Electric Co. - Nashville Moon (if you like alt-country this one is great)

Magnolia Electric Co. - The Black Ram

Magnolia Electric Co. - What Comes After The Blues

Jason Molina - Let Me Go Let Me Go Let Me Go

I won't link another message board but on the official MECo board there is a topic where J.M. answers questions from fans, it's a good read.

start with nashville moon from the sojourners box set. all the other albums have their peculiarities that can be off putting to a new fan ie: bad female singers, bad male singers, acoustic dirges, etc.

they have a new album coming out this year and jason did an album with will johnson that should come out this year too.

Songs Ohia - "Magnolia Electric Company" was the album that got me hooked; that one's really solid from start to finish (IMO) - and I agree, it's tough to beat "Farewell Transmission" (which is the opening track on that album).

Songs Ohia - "Magnolia Electric Company" was the album that got me hooked; that one's really solid from start to finish (IMO) - and I agree, it's tough to beat "Farewell Transmission" (which is the opening track on that album).

i say start there, too.

trials and errors is great, too, and more rocking.

I fell in love with this album on first listen. It immediately became one of my all-time favorites. I'm especially fond of "I've Been Riding with the Ghost."

I've tried a sampling of Jason's other work but nothing has hit me quite like Magnolia Electric Co does. Off hand I'm thinking that "Ring the Bell" is a strong song, and I really like most everything on Fading Trails, though I seem to recall that that particular album isn't normally considered to be on of his best works. "The Dark Don't Hide It" is pretty great song as well.

I fell in love with this album on first listen. It immediately became one of my all-time favorites. I'm especially fond of "I've Been Riding with the Ghost."

I've tried a sampling of Jason's other work but nothing has hit me quite like Magnolia Electric Co does. Off hand I'm thinking that "Ring the Bell" is a strong song, and I really like most everything on Fading Trails, though I seem to recall that that particular album isn't normally considered to be on of his best works. "The Dark Don't Hide It" is pretty great song as well.

when he wants to he can write an amazing song...farewell transmission, dark don't hide it...at the same time, his heart in that brooding place that is almost impossible to listen to all the time.

Molina doing overdubs?! That'd be like Pet Sansone not doing windmill guitar chops. Impossible!

Magnolia Electric Co's self titled debut is probably the best starting point. I love all the songs on that album, and I especially love "The Old Black Hen"... never got the dislike for that song. Oooollllllllddddd back hennn is that youuuu agaiiiinnnnn? Classic.

Magnolia Electric Co's self titled debut is probably the best starting point. I love all the songs on that album, and I especially love "The Old Black Hen"... never got the dislike for that song. Oooollllllllddddd back hennn is that youuuu agaiiiinnnnn? Classic.

Songs: Ohia's The Magnolia Electric Co?

300x300.jpg

• 3 years later...

this sounds great! didn't know this was out. hope he is currently doing well and following a program. it's hard to believe he maintained the output he did while struggling with an addiction that has resulted in 3 years of rehab. i bet he's written a shitload of material.

Yeah, the note they posted from him on the website is insightful. Sounds like he's intentionally taking it very slow, which is probably the healthy thing to do.

Dear friends and family.

It has been a long hospital year. You all have done so much and given so much to further my cause on this planet that I feel compelled to give you a little note. The response towards my medical fund and other support has been better than I could have ever imagined. I spent my time on the farm which was more like the opposite of a tour of duty, but it was good in its way. I have been moved around quite a bit too, Chicago, England, Indiana, West Virginia and back and forth to each. For the time being I am doing well, still in recovery and still in treatment until probably the summer does its thing. I’ve been writing a lot of music and eagerly anticipate the new 10” with Will Schaff’s book, word is that end of May we might finally get them. It is slow going, but it is going. I did write about 500 letters to many of you who sent me good wishes and more, oddly the facility I was in decided to keep them all instead of sending them. I’ll start re-collecting post box information when I am in a place for any length of time. Treatment is good, getting to deal with a lot of things that even the music didn’t want to. I have not given up because you, my friends have not given up on me. I do still need your support however that takes shape, good vibes are worth more than you might think. Finally, there are actually some musical projects on the distant radar screen, but for those who understand, I am taking this in much smaller steps than I’m used to. Keep the lamps trimmed and burning!

JM

5 May 2012

Indianapolis

frankly it's next to impossible to be in a touring bar (ish) band and stay sober. having been to many different treatment centers indicates some sticky stuff, but also that he's following direction. look forward to new music. wonder if he'll stick with the magnolia electric moniker or just play under his own name. it'd be cool if he started putting stuff out as Pyramid Electric Co. :)

I love Molina. His songs have been a theme in my life for about ten years now. I can always come back to his stuff. I met him once and he was obviously a kind fellow.

Some petty part of me is curious as to what he became addicted to, but more importantly I'm just glad the guy is getting better.