Patterson Hood Interview

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would put Outfit, Decoration Day, Goddamn Lonely Love, Danko/Manuel, Never Gonna Change, and The Day John Henry Died above anything on his solo albums.

That is why they have been disappointing.

of those i'd put Goddamn Lonely Love, Danko/Manuel and Day John Henry Died above any of his solo songs... for sure.

Outfit i love the lyrics (they're some of his best with DBT), musically I've never thought it was that great.

definitely not Never Gonna Change... in fact that's not even close to one of my fave Isbell songs honestly.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of those i'd put Goddamn Lonely Love, Danko/Manuel and Day John Henry Died above any of his solo songs... for sure.

Outfit i love the lyrics (they're some of his best with DBT), musically I've never thought it was that great.

definitely not Never Gonna Change... in fact that's not even close to one of my fave Isbell songs honestly.

I guess that's why you haven't shared in my disappointment, then.

I guess that's why you haven't shared in my disappointment, then.

exactly.

and i mean do you honestly think Patterson's upcoming solo record will be better than the best DBT album? i don't. that said I still prefer both of Jason's solo records to Patterson's by quite a bit honestly.

i think people have a bit too high of expectations out of Jason's solo work too... you forget there were 5+ other members working on those DBT records and even the songs he wrote with them. it's pretty rare when an artists solo work eclipses that of a previously succesful band's greatest work.

exactly.

and i mean do you honestly think Patterson's upcoming solo record will be better than the best DBT album? hell no.

i think people have a bit too high of expectations out of Jason's solo work too... you forget there were 5+ other members working on those DBT records and even the songs he wrote with them.

No I don't. But I expect it to be something I enjoy listening to and wish to return to at certain points. I can't say that for either of Isbell's solo albums. Doesn't mean I won't eagerly listen to his next one. And I don't think those are lofty expectations for any artist.

No I don't. But I expect it to be something I enjoy listening to and wish to return to at certain points. I can't say that for either of Isbell's solo albums. Doesn't mean I won't eagerly listen to his next one. And I don't think those are lofty expectations for any artist.

fair enough. it just seemed like you (and many others) always want to compare Jason's solo albums to the songs he contributed to DBT records in the past, which as I pointed out, isn't exactly totally fair.

i listened to Patterson's first solo record maybe 5-6x, so I can understand that...

and like i said, i'm not claiming either of Isbell's solo records are amazing, they're both not without their flaws, but they're also both very solid 7.5+ albums for me and there's plenty for me to enjoy.

I'm going to venture a guess and say Patterson uses more of his 'A' material for the DBT records.

i would hope so. :thumbup

as much as I love Patterson's songwriting, his vocals are my least favorite in all of DBT, past or present. they're not bad, but when he strains to hit highs on stuff like Sands of Iwa Jima, my skin crawls a bit :ermm

It is crazy but I love Jason's contributions to DBT, but have found the few tracks of both solo albums I have heard completely second rate.

That being said, having lived in Alabama for about 6 years, hearing a song like Never Gonna Change is pretty powerful. He hit that nail on the head, and it never fails, that song gets stuck up in my brain for days at at time. Amazingingly awesome song.

Getting back to DBT, although it is dangerous to trust what any artist says about their upcoming album, I am pumped about a "big, fun rock record."

I just hope they keep Shonna away from the mic (and the songwriting).

i like Jason's solo shows a LOT, but i would be lying if I said I enjoyed DBT shows without him just as much. just like how much more I liked them live after he joined vs. before (in fact I honestly was bored to death the first time I saw them live before Jason joined). i guess i really just prefer his vocals by a very wide margin vs. Patterson & Cooley's, he's got a great soulful voice for someone his age and his lyrics just hit me way more than Patterson & Cooley's subject matter.

I can understand the lyrics/voice thing. However, for me, he didn't bring much to the live scene. The triple guitar onslaught was pretty impressive but Cooley is more of the stage show to me. I'm a huge Jason fan...don't get me wrong. Just much prefer him solo now. Maybe I'm selfish.

The first time I saw him live solo, he was opening for Son Volt. He sounded very good but struggled with the front man part. The 2nd time, he was unreal. Getting kicked out was the best thing that could have happened to him.

Decoration Day

Outfit

Goddamn Lonely Love

Never Gonna Change

Danko/Manuel

I think you just set my soundtrack for the ride home.

i can understand the songwriting point, but do you really feel she has a bad voice? from a technical standpoint she has a pretty decent voice honestly. now whether or not you want that on DBT records is another point altogether. her voice reminds me a much smoother Lucinda.

i thought it was a nice change of pace... i loved Houston and Purgatory Line is a really pretty song. might serve her better to release a solo record tho...

The first time I saw him live solo, he was opening for Son Volt. He sounded very good but struggled with the front man part. The 2nd time, he was unreal. Getting kicked out was the best thing that could have happened to him.

he rarely plays lead in the 400 Unit tho, Browan Lollar usually does.

i think he prefers to focus on songwriting/singing when he plays with the 400 Unit moreso than his guitar heroics.

he's never been a very flashy player, even in DBT.

I like Shonna's songs... they just don't fit on a DBT album, or DBT show, for me. Nice harmonizer but I don't think she should be writing songs for the albums. Maybe a solo gig?

now that I can understand... i think for her first time out, 2 of those 3 songs were very strong...

i would have cut 3 songs from Dark, and none of those were Shonna songs, fwiw :thumbup

It is crazy but I love Jason's contributions to DBT, but have found the few tracks of both solo albums I have heard completely second rate.

curious which songs you've heard from his solo records? cuz the singles have not been the best tracks on either solo record, i'll give you that.

i can understand the songwriting point, but do you really feel she has a bad voice? from a technical standpoint she has a pretty decent voice honestly. now whether or not you want that on DBT records is another point altogether. her voice reminds me a much smoother Lucinda.

i thought it was a nice change of pace... i loved Houston and Purgatory Line is a really pretty song. might serve her better to release a solo record tho...

I don't think she has a bad voice. In fact, I have more of a problem with her songwriting because her three songs would be at or near the bottom of BTCD.

But that is where I miss Jason the most in terms of DBT. He has a great voice and it was a great change of pace from Patterson and Cooley. I don't think Shonna's works as well in that role.

i think we can all agree that Jason's song 'When The Well Runs Dry' should have made Blessing and a Curse over 2 of his other songs and over plenty of other songs in general instead of just the ABAC bonus disc?

I must say, I agree with everything Solace has said so far. He has crystallized my thoughts completely.

What a soulful voice Jason has. A song like "Streetlights" is just so lyrically perfect. I can't wait to see him live on April 11th.

Thanks for the link...nice. I am a Patterson gal. He just slays me. I feel like he sat next to me in home room in middle school. His take on good and bad times, lyrics like a novel and such an impassioned person..."its great to be alive" are really astounishing. With that said, I can't say much negative about the rest of the collaborators in his bands they all bring something beautiful and profound to the records and shows.

I've said it before, here, Jason is an amazing songwriter just coming into his own. I saw him do a heartbreaking version of The Magician at Cafe du Nord last fall. I never thought that song was great til that night. He's an amazing talent. I think we'll see PHood work with him again someday.

I just hope they keep Shonna away from the mic (and the songwriting).

I share the same hope.

I'd love to hear a Neff song or two on the new record instead.

Three's a crowd.

i think we can all agree that Jason's song 'When The Well Runs Dry' should have made Blessing and a Curse over 2 of his other songs and over plenty of other songs in general instead of just the ABAC bonus disc?

Absolutely. I also think "Thank God for the T.V.A." blows the doors off what he contributed to ABAAC.