That was my point.

LOL...you wee as obtuse as you could be there. So, we're on the same page about the Toadies?

Really? Tuneful? I don't see them as that melodically strong quite frankly.

"Tyler" sounds nothing like Pearl Jam. It sounds like The Pixies I suppose. Really none of those songs like any of the bands you compared them to. I suppose the Nirvana thing was a bit of a rash statement but I'm not entirely sure the Toadies deserve a much closer look. (Sorry, I used to really hate the Toadies on the radio when I was a kid.)

Truly a difference in perspective. I was in my mid-30's when The Toadies were on the radio. These songs were pretty dark (Tyler about a stalker and possible serial killer, Possum Kingdom about a serial killer) and probably weren't aimed at grade school kids.

Really? Tuneful? I don't see them as that melodically strong quite frankly.

And Nirvana's songs are?

"Tyler" sounds nothing like Pearl Jam.

That was my point.

It sounds like The Pixies I suppose. Really none of those songs like any of the bands you compared them to. I suppose the Nirvana thing was a bit of a rash statement but I'm not entirely sure the Toadies deserve a much closer look. (Sorry, I used to really hate the Toadies on the radio when I was a kid.)

Again, that was my point. The songs I posted didn't sound any more like the bands I tied them to than they sound like Nirvana. If all you've heard is Rubberneck, and the radio singles from that album, then that might be what you hear. I don't.

[quote name='Crow Daddy Magnus

While they're certainly not The Kinks, I'd say there's a respectable level of tunefulness in Nirvana's best songs; I would hardly call "About a Girl" a tuneless song for example.

I recall a Nirvana backlash a few months after Nevermind came out because grungelitists thought it was TOO tuneful.

I recall a Nirvana backlash a few months after Nevermind came out because grungelitists thought it was TOO tuneful.

Steve Albini was never convinced of Nirvana's noiseiness, once saying they were "R.E.M. with a fuzzbox".

Steve Albini was never convinced of Nirvana's noiseiness, once saying they were "R.E.M. with a fuzzbox".

Nirvana = What's the Frequency Kenneth?

Interesting theory.

I also recall a Rolling Stone article in which Cobain said he wanted to be like REM, but the he killed himself before making any more music.

Nirvana = What's the Frequency Kenneth?

Interesting theory.

I also recall a Rolling Stone article in which Cobain said he wanted to be like REM, but the he killed himself before making any more music.

Well he was obsessed with Automatic For the People, so the next album was supposed to sound like that one. Of course a splitting headache put those plans on hold.

I'm sorry, that was tasteless.

Well he was obsessed with Automatic For the People, so the next album was supposed to sound like that one. Of course a splitting headache put those plans on hold.

I'm sorry, that was tasteless.

I could take or leave Nirvana, but it would have been interesting to hear them attempt to be like REM.

Since this is a Toadies thread, I recall seeing a photo set in RS from one of the early Lollapalooza tours. Flaming Lips and Toadies were among the side stage acts that were pictures (actually, now that I think of it, I may be confusing Toadies with the Frogs).

His voice didn't sound very good?

Throat Polyps from screaming. Needed surgery towards the end. This was recorded two weeks before he died.

I've come to accept that people on here don't respect Nirvana very much...but that "not very tuneful" thing was grossly inaccurate.

I'm a big fan of Nirvana, and I didn't say they were "not very tuneful."

I feel that their songs tend to be comparatively less tuneful than the Toadies'. Which, I suppose if you feel that the Toadies don't write very tuneful songs, means that you think I feel that Nirvana's songs are even less so.

Throat Polyps from screaming. Needed surgery towards the end. This was recorded two weeks before he died.

I've come to accept that people on here don't respect Nirvana very much...but that "not very tuneful" thing was grossly inaccurate.

I love Nirvana. I still think they might have the best Unplugged show of anybody. That's not his best vocal performance but it is a demo.

A thousand apologies.

No problem. I just thought it was strange that not only did I see that quote written down twice in a few days' time, but it was spelled incorrectly the same way both times.

I didn't mean to come off snarky.

I'm a big fan of Nirvana, and I didn't say they were "not very tuneful."

I feel that their songs tend to be comparatively less tuneful than the Toadies'. Which, I suppose if you feel that the Toadies don't write very tuneful songs, means that you think I feel that Nirvana's songs are even less so.

Having listened to the Toadies a bunch this week, I'm going to reevaluate this statement and say it's a push. While the Toadies don't really have anything as tuneful as "About a Girl" in their repertoire, they also don't have anything that approaches the opposite end of the continuum to the extent that something like "Tourette's" or "Milk It" does.

No problem. I just thought it was strange that not only did I see that quote written down twice in a few days' time, but it was spelled incorrectly the same way both times.

I didn't mean to come off snarky.

Good people here. Posts like this one show what seperates VC from the other message boards I frequent. Well...lurk.