Saw Monsters vs. Aliens yesterday. I'm a big fan of animated movies, and will go see most all of them. I DID NOT see the 3D version (wish I would have....could only have helped).

Dreamworks primary goal is obviously to make movies that hundreds of millions will pay to see. Another goal is to entertain primarily kids, and not necessarily 30-something males. Because of their history of Shrek and Kung Fu Panda and other films that entertained many, their huge marketing department, and a great premise (how many kids WOULD'T want to see a movie about monsters and aliens?), Dreamworks KNEW they had a money-maker on their hands.

So why couldn't they make something special, knowing that hundreds of millions would go see it? It kind of ticks me off that a company of such skilled animators and artists, with such huge resources, could put out a movie that is mostly nothing more than amazing to look at, but so lacking in character depth and emotion. The "jokes" in Monsters vs. Aliens are either inside jokes for sci-fi geeks or jokes that just aren't that funny. The funniest parts of the movie were slap-stick. What a waste.

The story was OK. The female-empowerement story of the lead character was OK. The monster characters were OK (BOB the blob was great). The action was OK. The space scenes were OK. Everything was just "OK". Is it unfair to expect more from a company like Dreamworks?

It's not fair to compare MvA to Pixar classics, but it's hard NOT to. Who doesn't think of Monster's Inc. when seeing the title? Or who won't remember Wall-E during the parts that take place in space. To me, it's almost laughable to compare a comic classic like Monster's Inc, or the emotional and beautiful Wall-E to such a throw-away like MvA.

I seriously hope Dreamworks aspires to something greater one of these days. They seem to have most of what it takes...except for maybe leadership and direction.

The above point about kids wanting to see movies with monsters and aliens is right on. It will make a boat load of $$, who cares if it sucks. They need to remember that 4/5/6 yr olds cant drive themsleves to the theater, or pay for their ticket.

Bolt was boring, too.

The wierd thing is that it's a kids movie, yet the kids in theatre I was at hardly ever laughed. I guess it provided a decent amount of entertainment, though it started off very slow and later had many boring, talky parts. And except for B.O.B. the blob, all the characters were pretty forgettable.

But yes. It WILL make buttloads of money.

Bolt was flatter than I'd hoped, but at least the characters were fleshed out. Travolta and Miley Cyrus did NOTHING to enhance the film. The hamster was VERY funny and the action scenes were exciting.

i saw both of these movies and i found them pretty entertaining. nothing i'd buy on dvd, of course

my girlfriend works at the movie theatre though, so i didn't have to pay to see them. i probably would have liked it less if i would have had to pay

I took my two lads to see this here in Melbourne yesterday. The movie was awful and the boys were restless and hard to manage. However, Nick Cave was also in there watching with his boys which I found quite exciting!

We went on Sunday, saw the 3D version, glad we paid extra. I liked the 3D, but the movie was meh.

My boys are 10 & 3. The 10 yr old said it was boring, and the 3yr old just likes the movie "experience": eating junk & people watching, he spent most of the movie turned around in his seat looking around.

I took my two lads to see this here in Melbourne yesterday. The movie was awful and the boys were restless and hard to manage. However, Nick Cave was also in there watching with his boys which I found quite exciting!

I went yesterday with my family in Spain...NICK CAVE??? ARE YOU KIDDING??? :stunned

Oh well,that can make my day to see NIck Cave in the cinema!