My thoughts:

I've been to quite a few festivals, and Lollapalooza 2008 was the best. Period. Top to bottom, I saw an unthinkably good three days of music--Radiohead, Wilco (my fifth show, and I was right up close for Jeff's solo set), Okkervil River, Broken Social Scene, The National, and, surprisingly, Kanye were among the best individual shows I've ever seen. So it's not a surprise that 2009 would be a letdown. But really? The Killers headlining main stage? Depeche Mode, while wonderful, is obviously a huge step down from Radiohead. There are real standouts here (LOU FUCKING REED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? And TVotR, Andrew Bird, Decemberists, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, of Montreal, Neko Case)

But this lineup simply isn't as deep as 2008. Not at the top, not in the middle, not even at the bottom. The dance tent is the clear improvement (Simian Mobile Disco!!!!!!). But on the whole this seems to be an off-year for what I think (sorry, Bonnaroo!) is America's finest festival.

There isn't a single headliner at Lolla that I would want to see. I'm not a festival guy to begin with but considered going last year because of the stellar line-up. This year, the list would be limited to the following for me:

Bon Iver

Dan Auberbach

Heartless Bastards

The Gaslight Anthem

Constantines

Langhorne Slim

Other Lives

I'm sure that they'll be some great club shows in Chicago that weekend.

not really... bands sign a clause that play Lolla can't play club shows within like a 100-ish mile radius of Chicago (i forget if Milwaukee is exempt or not?) like 2 months prior or after. most big festivals do this.

the only club shows you'll see by Lolla bands are official Lolla sanctioned after parties, like Dr. Dog @ Schubas last year or Yeasayer & Broken Social Scene @ the Metro

Is Depeche Mode as good as Radiohead or Pearl Jam, because that's who topped the bill the last two years? This year seems like a step down to me.

I have seen Radiohead about 10 times, Pearl Jam 2 times and DM about 5...I liked most of my Depeche shows better than the last Pearl Jam and Radiohead show I saw. It didn't help though the last time I saw Radiohead I was a mile away. Pearl Jam could be better than DM but I think it all comes down to setlist.

Haven't been since 1991 (first year: Jane's, NIN, et. al.)

Not planning on going again.

yeah... def not a killer lineup this year by any means, but I might still go, we'll see.

thinking ACL will be a sick lineup

My thoughts exactly. I'll be going because I live here and got the $60 tickets, but I wouldn't travel for it. Headliners are so-so, and the middle tier doesn't make up for that; it's the same middle tier as every other festival this summer.

And I agree that whatever money C3 "saved" on the Lolla lineup will hopefully be "spent" on ACL.