Fixing the YHF + YHF Engineer's Demos...

BARE WITH ME:

Soooooo it's always-always-always-ALWAYS bothered me that the 'YHF Demos' annnnnnnnd the 'YHD Engineer's Demos' have flaws. I suppose they're drop-outs but I've mostly thought of them as hiccups. Whenever I listen to these demos, I enjoy the music so very much and then just w~i~n~c~e when I hear the hiccup. Yes, I can be the princess and the pea.

Anyway, I've actually enrolled in a class on music editing and recording -in large part- to finally fix-up these demos. Crazy? Probably.

But I need some help from the Wilco fan base... I only have two more classes (we meet on Saturdays) and I'd love to consult and get support from my instructor--if I need that extra help.

What I could really use is some proof-listeners. If I could get some y'all to very-very-very carefully re-listen to these demos and report back as to where you hear a drop-out/hiccup, I'd appreciate it!

If you trimmed some dead-space (because there is some at times)--please don't go off these new, edited track times. Unless the dead space was at the end; then it wouldn't make a difference. I need our track times to be the same.

So if you could, report back as to which set of demos, what track, and what exact minute + second you hear the flaw. That would be GREAT.

I've already started the proof-listening, but I'd hate to accidently miss one/some and then my class is over.

I could tell you some of the ones I've already found, but I'd don't want to cloud anyone's observation.

What I can say is that I've found a total of three hiccups in the 'YHF Demos'. Are there more? And to get everyone on the right track, one of those glitches is at 0:06 in Track 14--"Heavy Metal Drummer".

There's definitely more problems with 'The YHF Engineer's Demos'.

Can you help?

Needless to say, that when I'm all done--I'll post the finished product.

Also, if you've noticed any other problems with other non-YHF outtakes/demos, please let me know. I'll see what I can do! Please keep in mind, I'm not talking about the trimming of dead space on tracks (like on the 'A.M. Demos') --but rather real flaws that require editing.

Would be a nice rainy sunday afternoon spending.Listening over and over again.

That's how you can do it also:Decode to Wav files,use'CD Wave'to find gaps in a track and repair with' Adobe Audition' or 'Click Repair' (if you're on a PC for Mac I wouln't know)

Jpeg as how to find glitches:(track 4 @ 35sec)

amagazinecalledsunset35.jpg

there's the obvious drop out of Venus Stop the Train on the Engineer Demos. It'd be cool to patch it up with the full version from just the "regular?" demos, that is if they aren't too different... I don't really know if they are or not I would have to listen again, Or if that even works with your assignment.

just listened looks like that wouldn't work, the key is totally different.

I don't think that is a good idea - mixing and matching two different sets of files.

I see a lot of this sort of thing going with another certain band's live shows; everyone changing this and that, tweaking, re-mastering, adjusting, etc. I guess some people like that sort of thing, others do not. I suppose I am apt to just accept them the way they are. Of course we are not talking about live shows in this case, but rather studio tracks.

Everyone can do as they please with audio files - we see that all the time. It gets tricky when such things get put out in the trading community though. I have seen some big arguments go down on various BT sites over things like you are proposing. I don't know what your plans are with regards to putting what you do out there, but whatever you do, make sure you mark your work, so it can be distinguished from the original versions of the files.

I hope the copies of the files you have are good ones and not transcodes.

yeah I dig what you are saying for sure. I just messed around with mixing those two files. it worked alright but definitely not worthy of putting out there. changed the pitch and speed a bit and the cut works pretty well but it's not worth anything but messing around I guess.

I was not jumping on you - just putting that thought out there. People do all sorts of nutty things with files these days. I saw a group of songs not long of another band that turned out to be parts of various songs put together from different shows. And whoever did it, did not mark it as being what it was. That is like something a record company would do. :stunned

I was not jumping on you - just putting that thought out there. People do all sorts of nutty things with files these days. I saw a group of songs not long of another band that turned out to be parts of various songs put together from different shows. And whoever did it, did not mark it as being what it was. That is like something a record company would do. :stunned

yeah I didn't think you were. That's kind of ridiculous taking parts of live songs and whatnot. It sounds like they did that with Wilding in the West, that Bonnie Prince Billy live album. They said they were "new" songs but they sounded like shitty mashups or something.

I agree that stuff like this and that should not be traded with out clearly stating what it is.

I mean, we see that with older shows - a patch from an AUD into a SBD or whatever, (I am thinking of various GD shows) but this was a case of mixing and matching to try and create some sort of "perfect" show.

I don't think what I'm hoping to do is all that big-a-deal. Just fixing the drop-outs. No patch work with other songs. My hope is to just have a smooth sounding listening experience. When I post, I'll be sure to identify what I've done. I see your point and agree with you. As a project, this is just for the listening experience.

I mean, we see that with older shows - a patch from an AUD into a SBD or whatever, (I am thinking of various GD shows) but this was a case of mixing and matching to try and create some sort of "perfect" show.

I hate the Dead shows that do that. Usually the volumes aren't matched and it's really abrasive.