Class on Jeff Tweedy's Music

I thought some people on this forum might be interested to know that the Old Town School of Folk Music is offering a class called "Jeff Tweedy Ensemble" starting next week. There are still some openings in the Saturday session.

So if you play an instrument, and want to play some of Jeff's music with a group of fellow fans, check it out!

http://oldtownschool.org/classes/register/...php?course=3661

The class is taught by Bob Goins, who taught the school's Wilco Ensemble for years. He rocks and really likes to get into the arrangements of the songs. Fun times.

I'm having errors on the website - will have to call. I may do this. $20 per session ain't bad.

Yeah, it's quite a good deal really, particularly since classes run around 90 minutes. Also, this group tends to perform at the end of each session or every other session, so there are sometimes additional rehearsals outside normal class time for those who are interested. The Tuesday session is full, but there are currently 7 spots left for the Saturday session.

I suspect that Tuesday night spots were snapped up by the usual suspects the moment the class was announced - the usual suspects being those who've previously been involved in the school's Wilco ensemble. Saturdays are likely to be a mix of Wilco ensemble alums and people who are new to the school/and or "the Wilcult." If you're considering it but still on the fence, here are some shots of the usual suspects jamming with Jeff earlier this spring.

I'm not sure what the mix of instruments will be this session, but of the people I know who have enrolled, we have lots of guitars (acoustic and electric) at least one keyboard player, pedal steel, drums, bass, and a part time guitar/part time fiddle guy.

You should be pretty comfortable with your instrument for this class. You can expect to see lyric sheets with chords and some tabs for guitar licks so you should know your basic chords and have some grasp of bar chords (for guitarists). Of course, Jeff/Nels use some very funky chords, so Bob will explain any that are unusual.

Still on the fence? You could always drop in to observe the Tuesday class before deciding whether to sign up for the session that starts on Saturday. Just let Bob (the instructor) know you're thinking of signing up and wanted to check it out first.

Interested but don't know how to play an instrument? Check out the other classes at the Old Town School. You can learn to play anything from guitar to oud. After guitar 1 you could be strumming away on some of the simpler Wilco tunes like California Stars.

I am so looking forward to starting this session tomorrow night! It's gonna be a blast. :dancing

I can't believe he actually showed/shows up. That's incredibly nice of him.

Yep, on one occasion Jeff has dropped in on one of Bob's classes at the school.

These photos are actually from the most recent living room show with the Wilco ensemble. For the 4th year in a row, a Wilco ensemble member entered and won the letters to santa auction for a living room show with Jeff. The rest of the crew then contributed toward the cause. When Jeff heard that the group who'd won a living room show was the Wilco ensemble, he said he'd heard about us and he actually requested that we jam together in lieu of Jeff playing a solo show. He really seems to enjoy it every year and sticks around for a long time jamming, talking music, joking around, comparing instruments and such.

He now knows quite a few of the group members by name and remembers us from year to year, which is really cool considering how many fans he must meet.

This year he was really funny about thanking us for taking the time to learn his songs. Of course we all immediately thanked him for writing them. A real community has grown up around this music with this group -- there's even been a Wilco ensemble wedding, with the crew playing the reception.

But don't be intimidated by the tight-knit nature of ensemble alumni. New people are welcome. Just be friendly, and keep showing up and you'll become part of the family in no time. Joining the gang for food and/or drink after class is also encouraged!

:thumbup

Yeah, it's gonna be sooooo fun.

More cities need places like the Old Town School! It's an amazing institution and an amazing community.

No kidding. I just saw Alejandro Escovedo at their tiny performance space and this is now my #2 favorite venue (The Ark at Ann Arbor being #1). I see they are expanding, too. OTS rules, and I'm with you, Tweedling - I wish I could be involved in such a fine institution.

Yeah, it's gonna be sooooo fun.

More cities need places like the Old Town School! It's an amazing institution and an amazing community.

I agree. I've been taking classes there for the past few years and it really starts to feel like a family.

The performance space is very cool - just saw Loretta Lynn there last week. And I'll be performing there myself on Friday with my go-go class :lol

It's a great place, and we should consider ourselves very lucky to have it in our own backyard.

I agree. I've been taking classes there for the past few years and it really starts to feel like a family.

The performance space is very cool - just saw Loretta Lynn there last week. And I'll be performing there myself on Friday with my go-go class :lol

It's a great place, and we should consider ourselves very lucky to have it in our own backyard.

Cool! Hmmmmm, have we met? Do you know any of the usual suspects from the Wilco Ensemble or Bob's other groups (Bowie, Proto Punk)?

And I nearly forgot it's First Friday this week.

I'm really hoping that the Jeff Tweedy ensemble will play a couple of tunes with in the showcase of student groups! We'll only have one class under our belts, but with so many Wilco Ensemble alumni returning, it should be a piece of cake to get a couple tunes ready.

First Friday is a good time! :dancing

Do you need a fiddle?

Couldn't hurt. (We have one fiddle player, but he also plays guitar and is working on keys.)

I don't believe we've met, but Bob was my Guitar 1 Rep teacher. Really nice dude!

Do you think they'll offer Tweedy ensemble again? I'm hesitant to sign up for it since I know I'll only be able to make about half the Saturday classes. Darn June weddings...

I don't believe we've met, but Bob was my Guitar 1 Rep teacher. Really nice dude!

Do you think they'll offer Tweedy ensemble again? I'm hesitant to sign up for it since I know I'll only be able to make about half the Saturday classes. Darn June weddings...

I'm thinking there's a good chance that this class will run again. And since there will be a new Wilco album soon . . . that's more material to learn!

FYI, the first session of the new Jeff Tweedy ensemble was a blast and we're gonna play a couple of tunes at the Old Town School's First Friday festivities.

Music starts at 7:30 at the Lincoln Ave location of the school.

Rock on.

:dancing

What songs are you guys doing? I'll try to make it out

We discussed doing Hoodoo Voodoo and War on War. There were also requests for Company and I'm the Man.

I think we're gonna try to get there by 6:30 to sort out the details and run the songs.

Hope to see you there! :guitar