june 25- third wiltern show???????

http://www.nme.com/news/wilco/44328

I sure hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact they're playing three LA shows and not even stopping in San Fran for a duo, or even trio, tells me they lost their roots. Everyone knows LA is for the soulless wannabe wash-ups and those who cling to a claim of fame built on lies and plastic surgery.

It's a sad day.

In the words of the late great Bill Hicks, this about sums it up:

"LA is the home of the pedestrian right of way law. What this law is, is if a pedestrian decides to cross the road, anywhere or any time on the road, every car has to stop and let this person cross the road. Yes, 'cos only in LA does common courtesy have to be legislated."

Please, tell us how you really feel.

Nels is from L.A. That's probably all it comes down to. There are plenty of places they're not playing this time around (once again I have to travel 4 + hours, even though I know it will be worth it), but there's no doubt they'll be back for another round of touring soon.

Please, tell us how you really feel.

Nels is from L.A. That's probably all it comes down to. There are plenty of places they're not playing this time around (once again I have to travel 4 + hours, even though I know it will be worth it), but there's no doubt they'll be back for another round of touring soon.

I'm just bitter because the dodgers beat the giants last night.

There are parts of LA that are awesome. But mostly the scene there makes me nauseous. That being said they are hitting berzerkeley and saratoga (winery show?!).

I just caught John Prine at the Warfield and would love to see Wilco play that venue.

There are parts of LA that are awesome. But mostly the scene there makes me nauseous. That being said they are hitting berzerkeley and saratoga (winery show?!).

I just caught John Prine at the Warfield and would love to see Wilco play that venue.

There's some truth to this. The second night at the Wiltern is going to be my third show on the tour (after El Paso and Tucson) and I know it'll have the worst crowd by far.

Concertgoers in LA are so jaded and self-conscious that they can't really let loose and have a good time. They're much more concerned with who ELSE is at the show than what is happening in the show.

just my 2 cents. GO DODGERS!

The second night at the Wiltern is going to be my third show on the tour (after El Paso and Tucson) and I know it'll have the worst crowd by far.

And the second night at the Wiltern will be my second show on the tour. I'll also be at the Tucson show. See you at both MikeChuck.

There are parts of LA that are awesome. But mostly the scene there makes me nauseous.

There isn't really a "scene" in LA, unless you're talking about going to Spaceland with 50 other people and watching local bands play. People who go looking for a "scene" in LA are usually pretentious out-of-towners who have so thoroughly adopted an attitude of superiority towards the rest of America based on their own self-perceived hipness that they don't know how else to inject themselves into a city except to go searching for the Southern California version of whatever petty clique they belong to back home. In LA this inevitably leads them to crappy bars on the Sunset strip populated by other tourists (even the ones who might live here for a couple of years), where everyone looks at the other tourists and passes judgement on the entire city based on their comical misperception that the rest of the patrons in the bar are locals, when in fact, they're just a bunch of visitors looking at themselves in the proverbial mirror.

p.s. Go Dodgers.

The fact they're playing three LA shows and not even stopping in San Fran for a duo, or even trio, tells me they lost their roots. Everyone knows LA is for the soulless wannabe wash-ups and those who cling to a claim of fame built on lies and plastic surgery.

It's a sad day.

In the words of the late great Bill Hicks, this about sums it up:

"LA is the home of the pedestrian right of way law. What this law is, is if a pedestrian decides to cross the road, anywhere or any time on the road, every car has to stop and let this person cross the road. Yes, 'cos only in LA does common courtesy have to be legislated."

I know how you feel. When was the last time Wilco played Manhattan? They only played Brooklyn and they are playing Brooklyn again recently and now they are playing Upstate NY for a second time in awhile (Counting Jeff's solo show). Now I don't necessary think they lost their roots I just can't figure out why they hate on Mnahattan so much.. :stunned

Updated...Wilco last played at the Hammerstein which was June 07..it also was only 1 show and that one sold out in about 2 minutes..

That being said they are hitting berzerkeley and saratoga (winery show?!).

Look we Bay Area folk hate LA-is what it is. They (so Cal) don't hate us-it is a much more one sided hatred from my years in both Nor Cal and So Cal. That being said, no they aren't playing in SF proper but the Greek is fun and the Saratoga show will be beautiful. Im in KC now and have to travel out of state to see them! You just have to jump on 101. So stop whining go the the Saratogo show-hit the Shadowbrook inn with your significant other in Capitola (about 30 miles away but worth the drive) http://www.shadowbrook-capitola.com/ and make me insanely jealous. Did I mention I live in Kansas now? :realmad

Yeah, the people in LA don't even know we're here. It's a one-way rivalry. :lol

I had dinner at Shadowbrook once. YUM. And, it's beautiful there. Definitely recommended if you're looking for a place to stay over. :thumbup

There isn't really a "scene" in LA, unless you're talking about going to Spaceland with 50 other people and watching local bands play. People who go looking for a "scene" in LA are usually pretentious out-of-towners who have so thoroughly adopted an attitude of superiority towards the rest of America based on their own self-perceived hipness that they don't know how else to inject themselves into a city except to go searching for the Southern California version of whatever petty clique they belong to back home. In LA this inevitably leads them to crappy bars on the Sunset strip populated by other tourists (even the ones who might live here for a couple of years), where everyone looks at the other tourists and passes judgement on the entire city based on their comical misperception that the rest of the patrons in the bar are locals, when in fact, they're just a bunch of visitors looking at themselves in the proverbial mirror.

p.s. Go Dodgers.

Usually when I'm in LA I try and catch a good band playing, not so much a scene. That being said ALL of the shows I've been to are filled with pretentious clowns who dress up prettier than I do on Easter sunday. I find it hard to believe everyone at the El Rey when Built to Spill played were all out-of-towner scene searchers dressed in nice clothes at a rock show. But perhaps they were.

For instance in Austin, if you go to a show everyone is sort of King of the Hill, laid back, casual, happy go lucky. That's a product of the environment and you can only narrow down a "scene" as you're describing by grouping specific social groups. In the case of Austin, from "punk scene" to "rockabilly scene" to whatever other scene you want to widdle it down to, that attitude is prevalent. Chicago you get a similar feel although the crowd seems more rugged and direct, a product of the big city environment. In the case of LA, it seems subdued, sanitary, and fake - LA is essentially a community of suburbs and it certainly reflects in the attitudes of those who inhabit its municipalities.

Because LA lacks a vibrancy I've found in Chicago, NYC, and even San Fran, it's a valid argument when talking about local patrons. If no locals ever go to shows there, then I guess you have a great point, but we all know that's BS.

Two of the most respectful audiences I've ever been in were for Jeff's solo shows at the Fonda a few years ago, and as I recall, the '04 Wiltern shows were pretty darn peachy too. OK, maybe the crowds at those El Rey shows back in '02 were kinda annoying, but no city is above reproach.

I live in San Francisco, and I love LA (we love it!).

Look we Bay Area folk hate LA-is what it is. They (so Cal) don't hate us-it is a much more one sided hatred from my years in both Nor Cal and So Cal. That being said, no they aren't playing in SF proper but the Greek is fun and the Saratoga show will be beautiful. Im in KC now and have to travel out of state to see them! You just have to jump on 101. So stop whining go the the Saratogo show-hit the Shadowbrook inn with your significant other in Capitola (about 30 miles away but worth the drive) http://www.shadowbrook-capitola.com/ and make me insanely jealous. Did I mention I live in Kansas now? :realmad

I am going to make you insanely jealous. Also, I realize what a huge prick I'm being about no proper san fran shows after I type this.

I just moved out here from Chicago - I made some great auditorium shows and all the residency shows, I also just saw them in Milwaukee and have tix to the greek.

I really have nothing to complain about but I will definitely give LA shit when I can! After all, they steal our water.

Four shows in L.A. seems fair to me.

We haven't seen Wilco in these parts since August 2007! Heck, the whole state of California hasn't seen Wilco headline a show since August 2007. You'd think California was Montana or Alaska (but no, even those states have gotten headliner shows since Wilco's last turn through California). It's definitely time for an L.A. residency!

As for the L.A. "bashing", it always makes me smile. The thing is that L.A. County has about 10MM people. Unfortunately, a miniscule fraction of those 10MM people are the entertainment world phonies that are often most conspicuous in their bad behavior that gives L.A. a bad name. The diversity, culture, abundance of activities, and glorious weather are matched by few cities in the world. I'm staying!

Usually when I'm in LA I try and catch a good band playing, not so much a scene. That being said ALL of the shows I've been to are filled with pretentious clowns who dress up prettier than I do on Easter sunday. I find it hard to believe everyone at the El Rey when Built to Spill played were all out-of-towner scene searchers dressed in nice clothes at a rock show. But perhaps they were.

For instance in Austin, if you go to a show everyone is sort of King of the Hill, laid back, casual, happy go lucky. That's a product of the environment and you can only narrow down a "scene" as you're describing by grouping specific social groups. In the case of Austin, from "punk scene" to "rockabilly scene" to whatever other scene you want to widdle it down to, that attitude is prevalent. Chicago you get a similar feel although the crowd seems more rugged and direct, a product of the big city environment. In the case of LA, it seems subdued, sanitary, and fake - LA is essentially a community of suburbs and it certainly reflects in the attitudes of those who inhabit its municipalities.

Because LA lacks a vibrancy I've found in Chicago, NYC, and even San Fran, it's a valid argument when talking about local patrons. If no locals ever go to shows there, then I guess you have a great point, but we all know that's BS.

I've never been to a place more pretentious than a bar in San Francisco. Is there any place in the United States as stultifyingly conformist as San Francisco? I doubt it... unless you want to talk about the lockstep conservatism of the deep South, but that's a whole different story. I remember seeing Jay Farrar in San Francisco and looking around and realizing that literally every guy in the place was wearing the exact same uniform, kind of a shabby Jay-Crew look to split the difference between Kerouac and having a job. Speaking of having a job, most people in LA work pretty long, hard hours, often in the television business, and if they're out at a club on a weeknight it's highly likely they just came straight from work, which might account for the "pretty" clothes. (That said, I've never noticed a crowd looking "pretty" any night of the week, except maybe at the Hollywood Bowl when Lyle Lovett was playing). Regardless, it's hilarious to read someone from San Francisco accusing LA of being "pretentious". I mean, truly.

I never said no locals go to shows in LA. Plenty do. There's no lack of vibrancy. What there is, is a lack of jackasses checking out how everybody is dressed so they can figure out what the uniform of the month is for next time.

I've never been to a place more pretentious than a bar in San Francisco. Is there any place in the United States as stultifyingly conformist as San Francisco? I doubt it...

:rolleyes I invite you to join me at O'Keeffe's the next time you're here...