I could barely tolerate Leno and would record it only to see what music was on it. As for O'Brien, I detest the sight of the floppy haired prick. I hate his idiot style and everything about him makes me want to stab him several hundred times. The only one worth watching in that style is Jon Stewart.

We're all entitled to our opinions.

My opinion is that John Stewart, while very sharp and witty, is smug, sarcastic, and annoying as hell. I CANNOT watch the guy.

O' Brien's a great late-night host because he's all about trying to be genuinely and broadly funny. He's not about pissing off people or trying to be controversial or trying to be edgy to just be cool. He's a clown....a goofball...with a very wacky, weird and glorious sense of humor.

• 2 weeks later...

One from the old days:

I caught some of the show online. I don't stay up late enough to watch it. It's good to see Andy back on the show.

Pearl Jam - Got Some from The Tonight Show

There is an interesting interview with Jay Leno in one of the recent issues of Rolling Stone. He states that he does not spend any of the money he makes from TV, but rather, he lives on what he makes from doing stand-up comedy gigs.

One from the old days:

I caught some of the show online. I don't stay up late enough to watch it. It's good to see Andy back on the show.

Pearl Jam - Got Some from The Tonight Show

There is an interesting interview with Jay Leno in one of the recent issues of Rolling Stone. He states that he does not spend any of the money he makes from TV, but rather, he lives on what he makes from doing stand-up comedy gigs.

Then how does he afford all those cars he collects?

I don't really know how much stand up comics make, but I didn't think they'd make enough to collect cars. How often did he do stand up gigs?

Side note, I don't like Jay Leno at all. I watched his second to last episode to see Prince, and Leno didn't make me laugh at all. I felt bad for him after most of his lame jokes.

Glad Conan's back.

An OK first week. I thought the first show was very shaky and un-Conan-like. He seemed a bit nervous. And the guests were overall lame for the whole week.

The Year 3000 bit was really funny on Wednesday. He had a joke about combining Youtube, Twitter and Facebook into a mega time-wasting site called YouTwitFace.

Conan's remotes seem a little awkward and not as funny as his older bits. And he seems to be keeping things in check a little bit. I just think Conan and the show in general will take time to find its comfort zone.

Andy is funny, but used too sparingly. Hopefully he becomes a player in future sketches.

Sucks that Joel isn't along for the LA ride. And Max became a big part of the show in New York, but hasn't been used as much....which will probably change.

Finally, I'm anxiously awaiting whenever Triumph makes an appearance. Surely it will come soon.

I'm waiting for the Masturbating Bear to appear. And of course the Chuck Norris clips. :)

I believe he was renamed Bear Frantically Trying to Find his Cellphone in his Fannypack to be more suitable for the Tonight Show.

I'm enjoying the new Tonight Show. It's obvious that Conan has toned it down a bit and that the bits are more aimed at a wider audience (not as many "wierd" bits that you can get away with on Late Night....speaking of, Fallon's show is much better that I thought.) But Conan's doing enough things that remind me of his type of humor on Late Night to make it a good watch. I like the unexpected nature of his bits and humor. The "Conando" bit where he acted out a Spanish skit was very creative and funny. Max and Andy are both starting to work their way into the show more, which is a good thing.

He's got some cool guests coming up:

Tonight: Spinal Tap

6/16: Larry David, Gavin Rossdale

6/17: William Shatner, Incubus

6/18: The Dead Weather

6/22: Pete Yorn

6/23: Elvis Costello

6/24: Wilco

• 1 month later...

Curious if anyone's been watching Conan's Tonight Show.

It's decent, but something just seems not right. Conan doesn't seem as funny and/or loose all the time. The monologue isn't good. The bits are getting better. I like when Andy's involved. Some of the bits have been lamer than what I remember on Late Night. I don't know. Conan will probably find his groove. But it doesn't seem he's found it yet.

Guest Jules

Ratings are terrible, I know that. He's lost a good chunk of Leno's audience, and they have just disappeared. Letterman's ratings are about the same I think, but he's now beating Conan/Tonight show.

I'm still watching Conan, but it seems that the show is already in a rut. And what happened to the decent musical guests? He used to have some great musical acts, nowadays it's rare that he has anyone on that's interesting: for every Wilco there's a ton of insipid American Idol types on there. Jimmy Fallon seems to be beating him on this front. I'm guessing the network has their agenda and non-mainstream musical acts aren't a part of that.

Late Night's always had cooler bands than the Tonight Show. It's not the host, it's the timeslot.

Agreed. I wasn't blaming Conan, like I said it's obviously the networks doing. Just venting at the inevitable decline in quality that comes with a more "mainstream" timeslot.

Late Night's always had cooler bands than the Tonight Show. It's not the host, it's the timeslot.

I saw Fishbone on The Tonight Show back in college. It was surreal, but it really happened.

I even emailed the band a couple of years later, to make sure that I saw what I saw (it was during the CARSON) years. Got an email back from Norwood, confirming that they were, in fact, on The Tonight Show. But that Johnny was out that night, and Leno was guest hosting.

it can happen.

Captain Beefheart was on Letterman.

So, uh, yeah.

When Letterman was hosting Late Night. Keep up.

I saw Fishbone on The Tonight Show back in college. It was surreal, but it really happened.

I even emailed the band a couple of years later, to make sure that I saw what I saw (it was during the CARSON) years. Got an email back from Norwood, confirming that they were, in fact, on The Tonight Show. But that Johnny was out that night, and Leno was guest hosting.

it can happen.

Yeah, I remember They Might Be Giants doing 'Birdhouse In Your Soul' w/The Tonight Show band around then (Leno guest hosting but Doc Severinson in all his cheesy glory). So there's exceptions to be sure, but in general, you know what I mean.

Pavement was on Tonight Show.

I remember seeing that one. If I recall correctly they did "Cut Your Hair," which was probably the closest thing to a hit they had at the time.