Just 2 more weeks with Leno at the helm.

Leno says his last week (May 25-29) will include some of his favorite guests, including Mel Gibson, Billy Crystal, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Wanda Sykes and his last guest will be Conan O'Brien (!). And Leno promises "something special" for the last show....he doesn't want to spoil whatever it is.

Conan will take over the following Monday, June 1st.

I grew to like Leno a lot. He's a class guy and his opening half hour was very strong. But I can't wait to see THE king of late night TV take over the Tonight Show (with Andy Richter!!).

Leno seems like a hell of nice guy, but I can't stand to watch him deliver jokes or interview people. He got a little better over the years, but I still find him annoying as a host.

Bring on Conan. I won't be watching Leno's new 10 PM show.

I have felt a little lost not being in the "Cone Zone". Fallon has had great musical guests (Van, Cat) but I just tune in at the end for the music.

Bring on Conan, indeed.

Letterman was a comedic god from the debut of Late Night through about 1998. He's really lost it, but still a million times better than Leno. O'Brien is okay. Not my taste. My late night viewing now belongs to Stewart/Colbert.

Letterman was a comedic god from the debut of Late Night through about 1998. He's really lost it, but still a million times better than Leno. O'Brien is okay. Not my taste. My late night viewing now belongs to Stewart/Colbert.

I agree that Letterman's show was great at COMEDY for a long time, especially at NBC. But what happened to Letterman's focus? Is he trying to be funny or is trying to be John Stewart?

I prefer late night "comedy" to be off the wall, silly and just funny without having to inject a political angle to it. It's very hard to make political jokes or skits that don't irritate or offend a good chunk of the audience. Making jokes and skits about how dumb George Bush is EASY. Making jokes and skits that are timelessly funny is HARD.

Letterman was BRILLIANT at this at NBC. Dave's silly conversations with guests, Chris Elliot bits, Larry Bud Melman, tossing watermelons off buildings...etc were all golden. His quirky humor is what inspired how Conan approaches some of his show. Letterman still has moments that remind me of his old self, like his interactions with Alan Caulder and his attempts at getting humor from his stagehands. But his show is a complete dud anymore. He's become WAY more political, and because he's kinda nasty and a smart-ass, the political bits come off as lecturing or hatred (mainly towards Bush and Republicans). To me, he's an un-funny, lecturing grump.

Jay Leno is at least likeable.

I think Conan will be terrific because he combines the silly humor of Letterman in the 80's, with Leno's likeability, with Carson's quick-witted thinking and reactions and ability to be funny when acting out bits during the show.

Caught Leno last night. It's easy to see why his show is so popular. He did a bit where he goes to an apartment complex and gets residents to act out movies, using costumes and even later-added special effects. William Shatner showed up to play Captain Kirk in a Star Trek bit. All very silly but fun.

Terry Bradshaw and Jay had a good exchange. Blink 182 did their thing.

And check out this song by an 8 year old piano-playing prodigy....pretty good little tune:

http://www.nbc.com/The_Tonight_Show_with_J...-51909/1107581/

I'm sure Conan's a true fan, but GON has a point - the only person in the entire history of entertainment to say a bad word about Johnny Carson's act is Howard Stern.

Stern is such a narcissistic egoist that he cannot comprehend why he isn't REALLY the king of all media.

I'm sure Conan's a true fan, but GON has a point - the only person in the entire history of entertainment to say a bad word about Johnny Carson's act is Howard Stern.

From a professional standpoint, IS there many bad things to say about Carson?

Carson may not have been EVERYONE's cup of tea, but he seemed like the perfect personality for hosting what the Tonight Show is...an hour-long show to entertain and make laugh the biggest and broadest audience possible.

It sounds like you're arguing. I'm confused.

I guess I took GON's reply of "Conan having no choice" to mean he's saying Conan loves Carson so much because he works for NBC and he'll soon be the host of Carson's show.

But if he meant it as Conan has no choice 'cause there's really no reason to not love Carson, then we're all on the same page.

I just realized Conan has his own Tonight Show page with some awesome new videos....with Conan, Andy & Max:

http://www.thetonightshowwithconanobrien.com/

I guess I took GON's reply of "Conan having no choice" to mean he's saying Conan loves Carson so much because he works for NBC and he'll soon be the host of Carson's show.

But if he meant it as Conan has no choice 'cause there's really no reason to not love Carson, then we're all on the same page.

Ahh, I took it as the latter. :cheers

I could barely tolerate Leno and would record it only to see what music was on it. As for O'Brien, I detest the sight of the floppy haired prick. I hate his idiot style and everything about him makes me want to stab him several hundred times. The only one worth watching in that style is Jon Stewart.

Ahh, I took it as the latter. :cheers

Damn it, man! You missed a golden opportunity to work 'latterly' into a post!

Johnny Carson is the gold standard. I loved the show then. Letterman would have been the proper replacement for him, not Leno.

I could barely tolerate Leno and would record it only to see what music was on it. As for O'Brien, I detest the sight of the floppy haired prick. I hate his idiot style and everything about him makes me want to stab him several hundred times. The only one worth watching in that style is Jon Stewart.

I've said it many times, but the first 10 minutes of The Daily Show is my favorite piece of late night television.