Steven is mostly right

There's no accounting for taste, but I just can't believe any argument can be made that the popular music today is as good as the popular music of, shit, even the '80s, much less the '60s and '70s.

Like top-of-the-charts popular music? or music meant for the general public? Because I believe the former has turned into a marketing scam, while the latter has only improved since the 1960's.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article and VZ's words offend me. There is SO MUCH new and great music around, and he is either too comfortable with the sound of his day or too lazy to do any real research to know that. That Rock and Roll is nothing like it was in his day is a damn good thing, because nothing bores me more than tired ass music. And nothing pisses me off more than radio stations that share his attitude and play nothing but 60's and 70's rock and claim that is THE MUSIC FOR THE AGES, or some shit like that. People just want to believe that their generation is more special, and for some reason a huge contingent of people that grew up in the 60's and 70's want to think this so much (are so self-absorbed) that they've even sold the notion to many people my age, who are also missing out on a shit ton of great music being made or just listening to artists that are so highly derivative of that era that they sound like novelty bands.

Going to be honest, there has been a lot of good work recently. It's just not in the mainstream anymore. It's no longer Beatles, Stones popular anymore. You're going to have to try to find it to find it. If you don't, then the state of music looks like a load of poo. If you do, you see a lot of good stuff going on already. I mean, shit, look at the good crop this year already, in my order of preference:

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Wilco - Wilco (the Album)

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

They're all 9.0+ albums, and it's not even halfway through the year. It's hard to find a year with this many good records already at a similar point in the year.

It's not your typical rock, but it's A. good and B. there, if you look for it.

I always thought the term "woodshedding" meant "to practice". When a band gets some new material, and begins working on the arrangement as a group.

urban dictionary:

1. woodshedding

meaning to practice or hone skills, particularly musical skills. the origin is from the fact that for purposes of privacy people would go to their woodshed to practice without being overheard

jason spent the last three months smoking grass and woodshedding his banjo skills.

I always thought the term "woodshedding" meant "to practice". When a band gets some new material, and begins working on the arrangement as a group.

Yes it does mean to practice, often in private, to learn chops.

LouieB