Steven is mostly right

i've got a lot of the stuff he's been involved with...White Heaven, Stars, Onna, and Ghost. even the stuff w/ damon and naomi.

kurihara = :worship

Cool beans. I just saw Ghost a couple weeks ago and they completely blew me away. It boggles my mind they've been around since '84...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually radio used to be surprisingly democratic (in maybe a narrow band, which I know is a contratiction...). Growing up I heard all sorts of stuff particuarly after FM came in (yup I am that old....), but none the less AM covered a fairly wide range of types of music and rock stations played all kinds of stuff including soul, rock, folk, and country. Sure "the man" was in control, but many artists ultimately did get played (and over played). Those tunes are now called oldies and classic rock, but at least we all knew the songs. Now you can turn on a radio and hear some really homogenized crap that no one wants to listen to. So Little Steven has a point of sorts (he isn't a complete asshole), all kinds of fun type music got played on the radio by hook or by crook (or by payola) and much of it is remembered today. In fact many of the artists that people use as role models did get played on the radio; most in fact (Beach Boys, Kinks, Creedance, Beatles, Badfinger, Thin Lizzy, T. Rex, etc. etc. etc.) had hit records and got significant exposure on radio. None were cult artists.

LouieB

One other false point Steven makes has to do with home recording. The way he speaks, you'd think everyone is recording their album in their bedroom or garage. But the reality is that, with the exception of local hobbyist bands and the extreme fringe artists, virtually all of the albums on the market today were recorded in studios, or in well equipped band owned facilities (like the Wilco loft) by people who have enough skills to create good sounding albums.

Yeah, I guess McCartney didn’t get the postcard, the one that clearly states music will not and cannot change the world, that war will always exist and freedoms will always be curtailed and no amount of hand clapping and/or tambourine tapping will ever put a serious dent in that reality – and that this is doubly so insofar as extremely comfortable musicians recording from the safe confines of a multi-million dollar studio is concerned.

Regardless of McCartney's intentions, he still probably crafts one mean pop song, like, every day.

Cool beans. I just saw Ghost a couple weeks ago and they completely blew me away. It boggles my mind they've been around since '84...

where did they play? i've only seen Ghost once (Terrastock V) and they were great.

i did see Batoh w/ Helena from Espers last year, and that was really fun.

Actually if there are more people there is bound to be more talent. But it is not simply the issue of talent it is also the issue of young people being able to access better equipment, learn how to play, sing, read music, listen to a wider range of music, etc. There is no doubt that people now have many more recources at their commands, including the ability to record themselves successfully and mix and reproduce that music with little interference.

I have said this repeated here over the years, your average musician is far better now than in the past. Simply having electronic tuners which can help anyone play in tune, is a big advantage over musicians in the past (not to mention far better equipment...)

LouieB

True, based on raw numbers, a higher population would result in a greater number of musically talented folks, but then the inverse is true as well

where did they play? i've only seen Ghost once (Terrastock V) and they were great.

i did see Batoh w/ Helena from Espers last year, and that was really fun.

I know Ghost played in Athens, GA last Wednesday.

I for one am very happy that people with no technical or music writing skills have access to the tools to make music anyway.

:lol

And what the hell is that "auto tone" shit kids use today to make their voices sound like robots?

And what the hell is that "auto tone" shit kids use today to make their voices sound like robots?

Don't blame the kids. Cher was one of the first to bring that into the mainstream.

Vodcoders I have no problem with - I was an impressionable little kid when "Frampton Comes Alive" came out. But using technology because you can't sing well enough to sing in key FOR AT LEAST ONE FUCKING TAKE IN A RECORDING STUDIO? Oy. Go work at the mall.