I was just listening to Born Again in the USA today and got to thinking...is Loose Fur now a thing of the past? I'd love to see a new album, even a tour (?!) eventually. O'Rourke should come back to the heartland haha

no bitter feelings i'm aware of, just difficult to get time to work on things with Jeff so busy and Jim's commitments in Japan

fingers crossed they can pull out another album down the line

I love Loose Fur, and it would be great to see them make a new record. A tour would be a treat to see.

Also, is the Autumn Defense finished? I've always liked the stuff John and Pat do...

I doubt they are finished. Was just listening to the newly re-issued Loose Fur debut this morning on my turntable. Jeff has put aside Golden Smog though, and I guess the same could happen for he and Glenn with Loose Fur. Glenn still has On Fillmore also.

Guest Speed Racer

Jeff has put aside Golden Smog though,

No he hasn't - he was on Another Fine Day in 2007, and they've released just one album since then? Does that count as putting them aside?

No he hasn't - he was on Another Fine Day in 2007, and they've released just one album since then? Does that count as putting them aside?

Yeah, I don't think just because Tweedy wasn't on "Blood on the Slacks" (which is basically leftovers from AFD) means that he's done with GS. The side projects have major logistical issues. Not only with the Wilco members, but organizing everybody else from outside Wilco. i.e. The Jayhawks are Louris' moneymaker, just as Wilco is to Tweedy; then there's family and rest to be calculated. If any of these side projects ever end, most likely it will be from an inability to get together physically, not from desire.

Yeah, I don't think just because Tweedy wasn't on "Blood on the Slacks" (which is basically leftovers from AFD) means that he's done with GS. The side projects have major logistical issues. Not only with the Wilco members, but organizing everybody else from outside Wilco. i.e. The Jayhawks are Louris' moneymaker, just as Wilco is to Tweedy; then there's family and rest to be calculated. If any of these side projects ever end, most likely it will be from an inability to get together physically, not from desire.

I think you're right. Lately Wilco has been gaining a lot of recognition, so it would be stupid for Jeff to take a break from Wilco for an extended amount of time. Admit it or not, being a musician is a career, and Jeff's not an idiot. He has a family, and he knows that a musician's financial income is a fragile thing. So I don't blame him at all for devoting most of his non-family time to Wilco these days, as that's by far his most profitable project. And I don't say that as a bad thing, because it's not like he does music with Wilco, and suffers through it just to make some money. That's obviously not the case.

But Jeff is clearly a guy who loves making music, so I think another Loose Fur album will happen in a few years. But hopefully sooner.

Jeff is clearly a guy who loves making music, so I think another Loose Fur album will happen in a few years. But hopefully sooner.

Other than his solo work, I would imagine that Loose Fur would the last side project Tweedy would stop participating in, given his musical relationship with O'Rourke and Kotche.

Other than his solo work, I would imagine that Loose Fur would the last side project Tweedy would stop participating in, given his musical relationship with O'Rourke and Kotche.

That's true. Jeff seems to have nothing but love and respect for Glenn and Jim as musicians and people, so I'm sure Loose Fur isn't over. And if so, I think the chances are high that the three of them work together on something outside of Wilco, even if it's just informal jamming.

But I really think a Jim produced Wilco record with this lineup could be VERY interesting to hear.

Born again in the usa is one of my favorite records from anybody, so I would love to hear more loose fur. I hope they continue to collaborate, especially since they are really just a recording project it seems like there arent alot of reasons not to.

I'd love to see another Loose Fur album, but I think Jim is living in Japan now and I'm sure how much of a pressing concern the project is for the three of them. Hopefully someone will ask Jeff about Loose Fur in the thousands of WTA articles we'll be seeing in the next few months, so we can get something a little more concrete.

--Mike

• 2 weeks later...

O'Rourke's in Japan? That's pretty cool, actually. I'm getting into his work and Loose Fur a lot lately. This year has been a big eye opening to me with regards to so-called "avant garde" music. I have to thank Tweedy for that. It was A Hawk and a Hacksaw that started it, Glenn's participation with Andrew Bird on Useless Creatures, and examining O'Rourke's music and then his, Jeff's and Glenn's collaboration on Loose Fur closer. I can't get enough of it right now and really hope the three of them get together again soon.

i just received born again cd last week in the mail and it's been out for a alittle while now, don't know why i didn't get it earlier but i'm glad i did get it, and it made me want more so hopefully another album in the near future same as autumn defense.