Looking for someone to review my album

My fellow VC friends:

I would like someone to review my bands new album, and I was wondering if there were any music/album reviewers/critics in the house? It doesn't have to be someone that is employed by a review company or website (pitchfork, etc.) but that would still be very cool and acceptable. Anyone that has 45 minutes (length of album) and loves music.

This is not an attempt at shameless self promotion, it's just that my band and I worked VERY hard on this album (almost destroyed my marriage and my liver) and we would like a full review of it.

What's in it for you? You get a free high quality download of our full length album, and the review will be posted at several websites including our official site, myspace, facebook etc. This can be a general overall review, song by song review, or whatever you prefer.

FYI - We are a Rock/Indie/Experimental band. Some have said we don't really sound like anyone else, but have been influenced by older (good) Weezer, Interpol, Pixies, and you guessed it, Wilco. You can check out samples of the album by clicking our myspace link in my sig.

If your interested, you can reply here or PM me. Whatever you prefer. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to hear it.

I cannot promise a truly detailed review, but I will write something here (or elsewhere, if you prefer).

I know what it's like to want to be heard and I like your influences.

Good luck with the album, and lay it on me.

I would love to hear it.

I cannot promise a truly detailed review, but I will write something here (or elsewhere, if you prefer).

I know what it's like to want to be heard and I like your influences.

Good luck with the album, and lay it on me.

Awesome, thanks PopTodd. :thumbup

Give me some time to upload the album (sorry, should have done this already) and I'll send you a link.

Thanks again my friend.

The link DID work.

Just got it.

Thanks. I'll give it a listen sometime today.

I would be thrilled to hear your work and offer whatever opinions I have.

While I am not a music journalist, I am involved in the print media (after a fashion). I also love Music.

Lay it on me Brutha!!!

While I am not a music journalist, I am involved in the print media (after a fashion). I also love Music.

Lay it on me Brutha!!!

Excellent my friend. I'll take as many reviews as I can get. PM will be sent shortly. :)

Lay it on me Brutha!!!

Well, PM's were kind of working earlier, but now they aren't again.. I think.

You can just email me at socalledstar@yahoo.com and I'll reply with the link.

Thanks for the link.

I have listened to the first three track so far (four times in a row then in sequence) and I will say that I REALLY like this.

I keep coming back to ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE.

Hope this gets you guys some recognition...and maybe some filthy lucre to boot.

Have you guys decided on an Album title?

Remember... LETTERS I NEVER SENT

i'd love to hear it. i can't promise a well written review as that's not really my thing, but i will definitely give you some feedback at least. what's your bands name? i didn't see your myspace link........can i get a download?

(nevermind, i see the myspace link, i guess i wasn't logged in when i read the post) a download would still be nice though........

So Called Star - So Called Star

So Called Star has some pretty solid songs. They also got the chops. And they have a monster guitar sound. Think Blue Album-era Weezer and you are beginning to get the point. Big, crunchy guitars backing up fist-pumping choruses, with just a touch of fine whine paired nicely with the angst.

Lamrod: you say that "Azin" is your favorite tune on the album and it's one of my favorites, too. The herkey-jerkey riffage grabbed me and shook me around a little. I also dug "Another Day In Paridise" and "Silver Lining". But, my #1 favorite song on the album is definitely "Two Rings". Okay, you know the obvious thing I'm going to point out is the synth part, and it's true that is what first caught my ear; but I also think that this song has the most indellible hook: "It's summer all the time...". Yeah, I was singing along.

The one critique that I would have of the album (as long as Lamrod is asking for honesty), is that a lot of the songs blend together. While the individual songs are really good one-at-a-time, it's a little hard to listen closely to the entire album, due to the homogeneous sound. There could be a little more diversity from song-to-song. Mix it up a little from the quiet-loud dynamic that you have nailed so well. Change around the instrumentation a little, play with the dynamics. Do something unexpected.... surprise yourself and I bet you will get a smile from a whole lot of us, too!

But, overall, this is a really solid effort with some very cool individual tracks. Very well-recorded and absolutely worth a listen for you fans of Weezer and other fuzzy pop bands like that.

Thanks so much for letting me listen to this, and allowing me to write this review for you.

A very solid 7/10.

Have you guys decided on an Album title?

Remember... LETTERS I NEVER SENT

I REALLY liked that title, but the other members had other titles they liked better.. So we couldn't decide on one stick with, so we decided to self title our first record. I'm still going to name a song Letters I Never Sent though. :)

i'd love to hear it. i can't promise a well written review as that's not really my thing, but i will definitely give you some feedback at least. what's your bands name? i didn't see your myspace link........can i get a download?

(nevermind, i see the myspace link, i guess i wasn't logged in when i read the post) a download would still be nice though........

Hey, if you like what you hear shoot me an email to socalledstar@yahoo.com and I'll hook you up. :)

Wow, that review is making me want to hear it. I will check out the myspace when I get home.

Yeah, check it out let me know what you think. The myspace songs are kind of low quality and they are from and older mix, but you'll get the picture. :) Thanks!

Thanks for the review Pop Todd! I'll be sharing this with the other band members tonight.

Like I was telling Crow in an email, these are the first true reviews we've had. We've sold some CD's at shows and have received overall positive feedback, but this the first time that anyone is getting into the guts of the record. I really appreciate your feedback, and I'm glad you enjoy.

And BTW Pop Todd - Did you get my reply about your CD? I LOVE it.. and I'm not just being nice because you reviewed my record.. The album is really good. It's very poppy, but in a unique way.. which makes it not so poppy if you know what I mean.. I hear some Ben Folds Five, Shins, Fountains of Wayne, but also with an alt-country twist.. You guys have your own sound, and its good stuff. Whoever is on keys is great.. I play keys in my band (and guitar,lead vocals), but we're looking for someone to do it full time.. Can we steal your keyboard player?? :lol

(almost destroyed my marriage and my liver)

Your lack of commitment and admitted unwillingness to take it all the way to eleven has me a bit concerned – had you said the completion of this record ended in the dissolution of your marriage, followed by catastrophic, irreversible liver failure, well, I would have agreed to review it.

But, as it stands, I no longer believe you are possessed by the rock’n’roll spirit, as "almost" is not a part of its vocabulary.

OK...now that I'm home, I am in full rock out mode. I will say that I have a limited musical vocabulary. I know what I-IV-V means, but I dont' know what chords they would indicate. I understand time signatures and the 8-bar, 12-bar motifs, but I don't know WHY one would play a song in 3/4 as opposed to 4/4 time. I count things in my head looking for that 8 bar count. But beyond that, I recognize key changes but can't tell you what key a song is in.

I won't play spot the influences here. But like all creative bands, you guys are synthesizing a lot of materila and really making it your own. Following in the great tradition of rock. You take what has gone before and make it uniquely yours.

I have listened to the first three songs up to 8 times.

Enduring Sleep---The pulsing bass line sets up a really nice groove for the song. This is an excellent example of Power Pop, but there is enough quirkiness in the placement of guitar solos and time signature changes to make this a lot more interesting than the typical indie rock song. (The last guitar break at 2:24 to the end will be killer live).

Solar Ray --- This one is really a grower. The vocal phrasing is awesome. Steel hand in a velvet glove. The background vox at 1:09 would really work better punched up a bit in the mix. I really like the acoustic guitar line at the end...and you didn't sell out the song by ending it the easy way.

Good one two punch to open the record

Another Day in Paradise --- Me Likey!!! Chiming guitars followed by a nice (acoustic?)guitar line.

I have always told my 14 (soon to be 15) year old son that the difference between a passable band and a good band is a good rhythm section. Bass and Drums...the foundation. Really good foundation here without the masturbatory flashiness that bands with a prog rock bent end up ruining their sound with. Nice drum fills at 2:45, And the guitar false start at 2:43 made me laugh out loud with joy. I LOVE IT. It's those little touches that make a song memorable.

You guys are a band that is about the songs...that should be your mantra.

I don't know if this is one of your favorites, but it is already one of mine.

The rest of this is first impressions...

Sorry...I like how the vibe changes after 16 bars of acoustic guitar, harmonica and bass to a guitar attack. The snare really punches it out. Handclaps and Raggae. What a fun song musically with some really personal lyrics. guitar Feedback...oh yeah baby.The sound of the guitars after having the shit beat ouf of them for three minutes.

Two Rings...Uh...initially not fond of the synth at the beginning. Really jarring after Sorry. But, as I check it out again, it may be the volume level. Retro keyboards are ok...just not my cup of tea. The distortation effect on the bass is cool. The keyboard arpeggios work pretty nicely. Here it's summer all the time ... So Called Star's byline?. With a proper mix here, this screams summer beach radio tune. The vocals need to be punched up a bit. Old guys like me need vocals higher in the mix to make out the lyrics.

Silver Lining...She's the voice in my head...heh, heh, heh...been there buddy.. My musical vocabulary isn't very sophisticated, but I like the interplay with the guitars and rhythm section :42 to 1:10...more than filler and nicely sets the table for the rest of the song.

I have always tought songwriters have an advantage in having avenue for communicating with their loved ones that mere mortals don't have. First you look for the girl. Then you find her, court her, win her or lose her...and guys will always fuck it up. But, the songwriter has the advantage of finding that avenue to express love, regret, anger, ennui...whatever...that makes music something more than background noise in our live.

Standing Still...the chattering guitar separates this one from the rest of the songs. Just when I was about to say something about things sounding the same...we get a key change and the bridge. I bet these songs are really fun to play live. Roaring guitars, bass line so steady you could cut diamonds on it and drums rumbling,..

3:15 to the end gave me a smile.

Azin...I read somewhere that the secret to a heavy metal song is the bass line replicating the guitar riff. You guys aren't heavy metal, but the bars where the guitars and bass riff together adds a heaviness that work well with the vocals.

Blank Canvas ... Working in lower register vocals make the higher vocals have more impact. The vocals have an impressive timbre, but they can become sing song. Just an observation. Pretty song.

Aimless...A hint of background vox? Nice keyboard touches. The snare punches are really strong in the mix ( a bit too strong) but I get where you guys are going here. I was waiting for feedback and distorted guitars here...it fits, it works. HOT DAMN Slide Guitar. and fittingly in the last few bars of the record.

Overall, I like the pacing of the songs. The vocals are expressive (I think I said plaintive earlier) but need a bit of backkground vox to breakup a near tendency toward sing songiness. Really strong lyrics and guitar work. Fun stuff with some things that really work nicely. My favorite(s) are Another Day in Paradise and Solar Ray.

You guys have a heavy sound that has real moments of tenderness. The crushing guitars in Solar Ray with the emotive vocals could well become your trademark. You have some really nice quirky prog rock touches is several of the songs that keep them from being rote indie rock. Nice work.

it would be interesting to hear what you cite as your influences. Weezer? Big Star? Fountains of Wayne? The Pixies? I am really curious.

I gotta say, I'm digging this. I'm a sucker for good melodic ear candy. Some really good stuff here. Let me know when it's available for purchase or whatever.

I gotta say, I'm digging this. I'm a sucker for good melodic ear candy. Some really good stuff here. Let me know when it's available for purchase or whatever. I am just listening on myspace so look forward to hearing the "polished" stuff. I will try to put some thought down if I get a chance.

OK...now that I'm home, I am in full rock out mode....

Wow.. Thanks a million Crow Daddy. This is exactly what we were looking for. See the reply I sent you to your email. :)

Moss - We haven't officially released this album yet, so you're more than welcome to grab the download.

PM me for the link.

Let me know what you think. :)

Great, I will give it a good listen and try to put some thoughts down for you as well!

Edit: Just a few thoughts so far:

Enduring Sleep - This one grabbed me right away. Great distorted guitar sound that kicks in after the first few lines. I like the dynamics on this one. Sounds amazingly well produced as does the rest of the album. Very melodic. I love the end with the drums and guitar doubling up, sounds very "At the drive in" or something but not like a copy. Sounds like a wall of guitars.

Solar Ray - The melody on this one is like something Robert Pollard would come up with which I consider high praise. I hate to compare everything to other bands because I think it sounds very original and it's not my intent to imply you are copying in any way. Again, good dynamics with the acoustic and electric guitars coming in and out.

I agree that the first 2 songs make a great melodic one-two punch.

Another Day in Paradise - You guys have a way with melody, that's for sure. These are all catchy right off the bat, like you have heard them before. Again, fantastic guitar tones throughout this record. Great ending on this one.

Sorry - This one did not grab me like the previous ones but there is some great stuff on it. Still melodic. Interesting little reggae break in the middle. Reminds me a bit of Jimmy eat world.

Two Rings - Really like the layered vocal stuff on this, "here it's summer all the time...", talk about a great hook.

Silver Lining - This one sounds like a grower. Not as immediate as some of the other ones.

Standing Still - Busted out a guitar solo on this one!

Azin - Great guitar sound again.

Blank Canvas - Nice vocals on this one. I really like the singing throughout the record actually. There is a nice original quality to the voice.

Aimless - Great dynamics again on this one.

Started to run out of time towards the end so I apologize for the brevity of my thoughts on this. All I can say is that if this were my album I would be shouting from the rooftops for people to hear it. I would be proud to say I wrote any one of these songs. It really sounds like a ton of time went into getting instruments to sound right, the songs have real complexity but are just absolutely catchy as all hell. I love this kind of guitar driven catchy music so I will be listening to this one again for sure. It probably sounds like I'm being a bit too "nice" about it but I have to say, I'm very impressed. Many times people want you to hear their music and it's somewhat painful. I will absolutely be playing this one again on my own for enjoyment.

Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks for sharing this.

Moss - First of all; thanks for taking the time to download and listen to our record. Like I was telling Crow and PT, it's extremely helpful to receive honest constructive reviews of our music. I'm especially flattered by your comment "I will absolutely be playing this one again on my own for enjoyment.". This shows that we are on the right track.. I play/write music for my enjoyment, but more importantly for others to enjoy. Thanks again my friend!

Matt

Started to run out of time towards the end so I apologize for the brevity of my thoughts on this. All I can say is that if this were my album I would be shouting from the rooftops for people to hear it. I would be proud to say I wrote any one of these songs. It really sounds like a ton of time went into getting instruments to sound right, the songs have real complexity but are just absolutely catchy as all hell. I love this kind of guitar driven catchy music so I will be listening to this one again for sure. It probably sounds like I'm being a bit too "nice" about it but I have to say, I'm very impressed. Many times people want you to hear their music and it's somewhat painful. I will absolutely be playing this one again on my own for enjoyment.

Thanks for sharing this.

I had the exact same reaction. As I was writing my review, I was afraid my gushing at what I was hearing would somehow destroy my credibility in my review. It is a great record. With some cleanup in the production (vox mix, instrument levels)...who knows? I think it is very sophisticated record with a great guitar sound and powerful musical soundscape and definitley worthy of a widespread release.