Prog Rock (Old and New)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assumed it would be. I've only heard one song, and it sounded like something that would have been on their last album. People have been saying this is their best album since Signals (which is not all that impressive of a compliment, really, although it is meant as a huge one). Rush's music used to be really fun, despite the dorkiness of it. The rhythms were upbeat and the music had wide stylistic range. When asked what other bands they liked, they used to always name great bands (in the '80s for instance, they cited XTC, Talking Heads and other new wave/post punk bands). Nowadays, they cite some real horseshit when asked what current bands they like. Frankly, it shows. Their music has become plodding, humourless and very much the same from one song to the next.

I thought their music started to become plodding and humorless beginning with Grace Under Pressure. By Hold Your Fire, they had lost me. I agree with the comments about their mixing, too - muddy and buried for years now. Still amazing musicians, just not-so-amazing songs.

progarchives.com

more than you'd ever want to know.

That is quite some site.

I'm listenig to an old Genesis radio broadcast at the moment (Chicago 1978). I think, live, they were amazing around this period. I love the Phil era band performing the Gabriel stuff. 'Dancing with the Moonlit Knight' is really great.

progarchives.com

more than you'd ever want to know.

That is quite some site.

I'm listenig to an old Genesis radio broadcast at the moment (Chicago 1978). I think, live, they were amazing around this period. I love the Phil era band performing the Gabriel stuff. 'Dancing with the Moonlit Knight' is really great.

Van der Graaf Generator is playing in Boston again (next Saturday @ the Regent in Arlington)
This week, when I'm not listening to Ornette Coleman, I've been checking out the early Van der Graaf Generator material, basically going in chronological order. To me, it is similar-sounding to late 60s era Bowie, not just the sound but even the vocals. Interesting.

Tell me about Can.

Based on having heard a few albums, and watched their DVD: Annoying vocals, but the music is interesting at times.

This is a band I still want to like, but so far they've failed to win me over.

Based on having heard a few albums, and watched their DVD: Annoying vocals, but the music is interesting at times.

This is a band I still want to like, but so far they've failed to win me over.

I have bands like that, too.

There is a Can show from May 1973 at the Olympia in Paris floating around out there. Pretty easy to find if you google it, although it may only be available in mp3.

I listened to it on my way to Thailand and thought it was pretty f-ing cool. The guitar work is really good, from what I recall.

So, my LP shelves have gotten a little too crammed lately and I've been thinking of ways to relieve the pressure. I decided to take all my prog albums off the shelves and put them in a crate of their own. I had to make some tough calls as to what is and isn't prog. There are a lot of bands that sort of are and aren't. Jethro Tull? Pink Floyd? Zappa? Yes and no to all of those. Tull went into the crate, but Floyd and Zappa did not. Actually, Tull is arguably the least prog of all those bands, so wtf do I know?

Tell me about Can.

I don't know if it's fair to call Can progressive. They do have complex playing and longer songs, but they're not in the same 'high concept' realm. They also improvised almost everything they recorded.

Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi are my favorites. It's krautrock. Almost as absurd as Faust. It means nothing, intentionally.

The things that could draw a person into Can would be some of their more magnetic grooves, and a playful sense of psychedelia. There is a sense that you're listening to some crazy characters making something bizarre, and loving every moment.

The thing that could turn a person off of Can, is the long, jammy song structures that are often absent of any conventional hooks.

The thing that could turn a person off of Can, is the long, jammy song structures that are often absent of any conventional hooks.

Exactly what I like about them. :lol

I forget what the genre label is on the stuff of theirs I uploaded to iTunes, but it definitely does not say Progressive Rock...something like Krautrock/Psychedelic Rock. I think I edited them all to say Psychedelic Rock, just because I am so OCD with my iTunes.

The new Guitar Player magazine has a cover story on the guy from a current prog band called Porcupine Tree (I think that's what it's called). Never heard them, and probably won't make much effort to, but the guy, in addition to being in that band, has been remixing some old prog albums to 5.1 audio. Most notably, perhaps, is King Crimson's Lizard. Apparently, his mix brought great joy to Robert Fripp, and is much closer to the album Fripp wanted to make than the muddy sounding version that was originally released. His interview is well worth a read for the info about the remixing process.

The new Guitar Player magazine has a cover story on the guy from a current prog band called Porcupine Tree (I think that's what it's called). Never heard them, and probably won't make much effort to, but the guy, in addition to being in that band, has been remixing some old prog albums to 5.1 audio. Most notably, perhaps, is King Crimson's Lizard. Apparently, his mix brought great joy to Robert Fripp, and is much closer to the album Fripp wanted to make than the muddy sounding version that was originally released. His interview is well worth a read for the info about the remixing process.

yeah, his name is Steven Wilson and he is prolific as hell as a mixer, producer and artist. he just put out a very interesting album with the main dude from opeth. i've listened to some porcupine tree albums, but randomly picked up his most recent solo album called Grace for Drowning. it is the pinacle of sound quality and has some great songs. kind of like radiohead meets pink floyd meets lizard era crimson.

I'm listening to Lizard right now (an old vinyl pressing). It is pretty muddy sounding. Not sure what happened with the mix, but the definition of the individual instruments is lacking. Some cool as shit songs, though.

For me, much of the appeal of '70s prog has to do with the fact that it was done with such primitve technology. Mellotrons? I love the charm and the sounds they produce, but how much shittier of an instrument can you get from a technological standpoint? The modern prog bands don't interest me partially because they have so much to work with technologically and due to the fact that the original prog bands laid such a solid foundation for them. The original bands left very little ground to cover, and they did it with far fewer resources.

The Lost Tapes is pretty awesome...definitely give it a listen.

Yeah, I was pumped to see some reviews on that. They had a more meticulous approach than their seeming randomness would suggest. Hours and hours of unreleased recordings would suggest that they edited aggressively.

I'm listening to Lizard right now (an old vinyl pressing). It is pretty muddy sounding. Not sure what happened with the mix, but the definition of the individual instruments is lacking. Some cool as shit songs, though.

For me, much of the appeal of '70s prog has to do with the fact that it was done with such primitve technology. Mellotrons? I love the charm and the sounds they produce, but how much shittier of an instrument can you get from a technological standpoint? The modern prog bands don't interest me partially because they have so much to work with technologically and due to the fact that the original prog bands laid such a solid foundation for them. The original bands left very little ground to cover, and they did it with far fewer resources.

I actually love the sounds some of these bands produce with a Mettotron. Mainly, I am thinking of The Moody Blues.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

https://youtu.be/-trSFkXTleY

Digging up an old thread to post a shameless plug for my niece's band Ghost Medicine.  They are releasing their debut album independently, called Discontinuance. My niece sings on most of the tracks and her (now ex) boyfriend is the creative genius/songwriter and guitarist.  They are prog rockers heavily influenced by Opeth and Porcupine Tree as well as the classic prog bands of the 70s..  

They have been working on the album for about three years through college.  Jared (the now ex) boyfriend had the chutzpah to contact Colin Edwin of Porcupine Tree to see if he would play bass and to everyone's astonishment he said yes.  

This song is the first release from the album which should be available online in a few weeks.  I would love to hear critiques, especially from the prog fans.  Sorry about pimping their music here, I hope that's not a major faux pas.

• 2 months later...

Been listening to a ton of prog and proggy stuff at work this week, as my new job provides ear buds and access to YouTube. So far, it's been:

Genesis - Foxtrot, SEBTP

Yes - Tales (which I'd never heard, believe it or not), Relayer, Going for the One

U.K. - Phenomenon

King Crimson - Islands

Wishbone Ash - Argus

Gong - Shamal, Live in Sheffield

Camel - Moonmadness

moonmadness is one of my favorites. usually really synth heavy stuff like that does nothing for me but that album has this great melancholy vibe i rarely find in proggy bands. 

argus is a recent discovery for me but thats a great one too. some really incredible twin guitar jams on there

you familiar with gentle giant or captain beyond at all?