Sunny Day Real Estate

From Billboard:

Sunny Day Real Estate Classic Lineup Reunites For Tour

Jeremy Enigk is reuniting with the original Sunny Day Real Estate lineup for a fall tour.

June 23, 2009 01:00 PM ET

David J. Prince, N.Y.

Pioneering Seattle rock band Sunny Day Real Estate will return to the road with its four original members this fall and will reissue its first two Sub Pop albums on Sept. 15. These will be the band's first shows of any kind since November 2000, and the first with its classic lineup since 1998.

Dates begin Sept. 17 in Vancouver and run through Oct. 16 in Seattle. The reissues of 1994's "Diary" and the following year's untitled follow-up (commonly known as "LP2" or "The Pink Album") will include as-yet-unspecified bonus tracks and new liner notes.

Sunny Day Real Estate's bracing blend of emotionally resonant hardcore struck an immediate chord with listeners on "Diary," which was produced by Brad Wood. A second full-length record with Wood arrived in 1995, but internal tensions, including frontman Jeremy Enigk's conversion to Christianity, had already broken up the group by the time the disc was released.

A three-year hiatus followed, during which time Enigk released a heavily orchestrated, pop-leaning solo album, "Return of the Frog Queen," while drummer William Goldsmith and guitarist Nate Mendel joined Foo Fighters. But in 1998, the band suddenly regrouped -- minus Mendel, who remained with Foo Fighters and was replaced in SDRE by a succession of bassists -- to record the acclaimed album "How It Feels to Be Something On."

That set was supported with several tours, as well as the 1999 concert document "Live." But Sunny Day imploded again following the release of the 2000 album "The Rising Tide," although Enigk, Mendel and Goldsmith regrouped shortly thereafter minus SDRE guitarist Dan Hoerner in a similar sounding new band, the Fire Theft. That group released a lone self-titled album in 2003 on Rykodisc.

Enigk has since released two solo albums and an EP, the latest of which, "OK Bear," came out May 12 on his own Lewis Hollow label and features a return to a heavier, Sunny Day-ish rock sound.

The band reconvened in March for rehearsals, and decided to give a full tour a go. The set lists will largely stick to material from the first two albums that were written and recorded by the original lineup.

"Some songs make me cringe, and some still blow me away," Enigk told Billboard in 2003 about the legacy of Sunny Day Real Estate. "Some songs that made me cringe once, blow me away now. I think it's best to realize that these albums were documenting a certain time in our lives -- where we were then, emotionally, spiritually. Ultimately, I feel we wrote some pretty timeless music, and that's just fine with me.

Here are Sunny Day Real Estate's tour dates:

Sept. 17: Vancouver (Commodore Ballroom)

Sept. 18: Portland, Ore. (Crystal Ballroom)

Sept. 20: Salt Lake City (Murray Theatre)

Sept. 21: Denver (Ogden Theatre)

Sept. 23: Minneapolis (First Avenue)

Sept. 24: Chicago (Metro)

Sept. 25: Detroit (St. Andrews Hall)

Sept. 27: New York (Terminal 5)

Sept. 28: Boston (House of Blues)

Sept. 30: Washington, D.C. (9:30 Club)

Oct. 1: Philadelphia (Trocadero)

Oct. 3: Atlanta (CW Center Stage)

Oct. 5: Dallas (Granada Theatre)

Oct. 6: Houston (Warehouse Live)

Oct. 7: Austin (La Zona Rosa)

Oct. 9: Tempe, Ariz. (Marquee)

Oct. 10: Anaheim, Calif. (House of Blues)

Oct. 11: Los Angeles (Fonda Theatre)

Oct. 13: San Francisco (Fillmore)

Oct. 15: Spokane, Wash. (Knitting Factory)

Oct. 16: Seattle (Paramount Theatre)

Man, I would love to see this.

Is The Fire Theft still a pressing concern with these guys?

--Mike

I read somewhere recently that it was a concern and that they were intending on recording as the Fire Theft again but only as a recording project, not a touring unit. Yet, they're (the band) pretty unreliable on release info.

I read somewhere recently that it was a concern and that they were intending on recording as the Fire Theft again but only as a recording project, not a touring unit. Yet, they're (the band) pretty unreliable on release info.

I love that album they put out. Enigk might be just behind the Buckleys in terms of voice power for me, I'd listen to him sing the phone book. I kind of like the Fire Theft and his solo records, particularly Frog Queen a little more than Sunny Day, but Diary is certainly awe-inspiring. I might be all over that Minneapolis date.

--Mike

• 2 months later...

i saw SDRE last night at First Avenue and they absolutely KILLED it. i'd only seen them previously with the later-era lineup sans Nate Mendel, but this show blew that one away.

they're playing mostly everything off Diary & LP2 which Sub Pop just re-issued remastered + bonus tracks versions of, but they're playing some stuff off 'How It Feels' too (Guitar & Video Games last night). they even debuted a brand new song that was quite good.

if you even remotely liked the band back in the 90's i urge you to go to one of these shows, it seriously was one of the best shows i've seen all year :music

I loved Diary back in the day, but haven't owned it since probably the late 90's when i swore off alt for alt-country. Anyway, this too will be available on vinyl. I have recently began collecting as much early 90's alt vinyl as possible. Wowee Zowee

my prize early 90's original vinyl is the Smashing Pumpkings Pieces Iscariot (yellow vinyl) what a great record. also have Cmon Feel the Lemonheads (so underrated that it isn't even funny). Anyways, this is another thread

if you even remotely liked the band back in the 90's i urge you to go to one of these shows, it seriously was one of the best shows i've seen all year :music

DAMN YOU! I hate you now. They were my band in college - never saw them live though.

I was too late in getting tickets for Atlanta, thus I am left in the cold with no tickets for the show as of now (they play on the 3rd). The cheapest I've seen some assholes scalping them for $70 a pop. Screw that.

• 4 years later...

This is awesome!! Never thought they would get back together.. One of the most influential bands of "indie rock" (and very underrated actually).

Definitely going to try and make Atlanta.

Damn you!  Where were you five years ago, asshole!  You missed it!  

I don't know, maybe thats when I was really broke...  I can't remember..  The years have all started running together since I have hit my 30's.. 

Unfortunately it's a limited RSD 7", so either I won't be able to get it, or it will be overpriced.

A 7" shouldn't cost over $5 imo.

I wanted the Iron & Wine one last year, and St Vincent Krokodil, but by the time I would get these shipped to me, it's probably $10 or more and that's if someone has jacked up the price.

$5 per track is a cruddy deal.

I don't know if they release these digitally as well or not.