Wilco On Letterman (spoiler!)

I noticed in the Letterman performance that Jeff and Feist glance at each other before the "misconstrued" line as if to say "okay, are we going to be in sync this time." From what I gather, Feist recorded her parts after Jeff and the band did the basic tracking for the song, so she was working off Jeff's existing vocal tracks. The out of sync "misconstrued" seems like a Feist embellishment; an improvised moment that stuck. I don't get the impression that this was some premeditated "when you get to this line, sing it differently than me" kind of thing.

I noticed that glance, too. It would be great to hear from someone "in the know" as to how the vocal tracks were recorded. My guess is that Feist sang it a number of ways and the band settled on the one that appears on the album.

Props a) to Jeff for his artistic mastery in using a word like 'miscontrued' which totally fits this song; and 2) to Feist for her amazingly beautiful vocal performance. It's easily tied for first as my favorite song on the album right now.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic