Wilco On Letterman (spoiler!)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was nice to hear them both nail "misconstrued" - that moment on the record irks me.

Wow...I couldn't disagree more about that. To me that is absolutley CHARMING. At least nobody has accused Tweedy of stealing Springsteen and Little Steven's vocal mismatch in DARLINGTON COUNTY.

Different Strokes

Wow...I couldn't disagree more about that. To me that is absolutley CHARMING. At least nobody has accused Tweedy of stealing Springsteen and Little Steven's vocal mismatch in DARLINGTON COUNTY.

Different Strokes

I know what you mean, actually - it is charming in a way. Maybe I just don't like the use of the word.

Guest Speed Racer

Maybe I just don't like the use of the word.

That line to me always conjures "So you're saying I look fat in this?!" style conversations:

Woman: Should I wear the blue dress or the red dress tonight?

Man: Oooh, red dress! I like it much better than the blue dress!

Woman: So you think I look fat in the blue dress? Is that what you're saying?!

i.e., that line makes me think of conversations couples have where a well-intentioned remark is, err, miscontrued by the cranky other half (aptly followed by the line, "I won't guess what's coming next").

i.e., that line makes me think of conversations couples have where a well-intentioned remark is, err, miscontrued by the cranky bat shit crazy other half (aptly followed by the line, "I won't guess what's coming next").

I'd never really seen her perform before last night. Does she usually play an instrument while singing? She looked like she needed something to hide behind; a guitar, a keyboard, possibly a podium or an umbrella. She just seemed like a mic wasn't cutting it for her. Having said all that, she did a fantastic job and was as lovely/charming as everyone else here has already stated. My favorite part was when she did a little air-drumming between verses and made a rather unintentionally silly face. I rewound that part on TiVo about 20 times.

Guest Speed Racer

My favorite part was when she did a little air-drumming between verses and made a rather unintentionally silly face. I rewound that part on TiVo about 20 times.

I just youtubed it without sound, in my cubicle, to check that face out. I'm crying I'm laughing so hard. :lol

I'd never really seen her perform before last night. Does she usually play an instrument while singing? She looked like she needed something to hide behind; a guitar, a keyboard, possibly a podium or an umbrella. She just seemed like a mic wasn't cutting it for her. Having said all that, she did a fantastic job and was as lovely/charming as everyone else here has already stated. My favorite part was when she did a little air-drumming between verses and made a rather unintentionally silly face. I rewound that part on TiVo about 20 times.

I believe she usually performs with a guitar, at least the performances that I have seen.

Watching this performance is exactly the reason i prefer live music to recorded. After two weeks of heavy rotation listening to the record i never fully appreciated the guitar parts until last night. Nels work at the end of this song added so much to the vibe of this song watching him play it live.

Great job Wilco!

My exact thoughts after just watching this.

Anyone notice Glenn's new kit? or 2nd kit?

That line to me always conjures "So you're saying I look fat in this?!" style conversations:

Woman: Should I wear the blue dress or the red dress tonight?

Man: Oooh, red dress! I like it much better than the blue dress!

Woman: So you think I look fat in the blue dress? Is that what you're saying?!

i.e., that line makes me think of conversations couples have where a well-intentioned remark is, err, miscontrued by the cranky other half (aptly followed by the line, "I won't guess what's coming next").

I didn't say I didn't understand the use of the word!

It's a clunky word to use in a ballad.

Or not.

I might be wrong.

feist is super cute, btw.

:yes

anyone know if Wilco played another song? i've noticed that whenever Ryan Adams plays Letterman, he always plays 2 songs, one which is filmed specifically for us music fiends on the net and the other which airs on the tv.

Or not.

I might be wrong.

I think it's an unusual choice for a ballad but works well with all the previous "s" sounds in the line (consonance-ically speaking...). That's one thing I really love about Jeff's lyrics: his attentiveness to sounds. They're musical, even without the music. They have their own ebb and flow.

When I first heard "You and I," I was bugged that they didn't sing "misconstrued" together perfectly until I decided it was on purpose. Now I really like it.

Guest Speed Racer

I didn't say I didn't understand the use of the word!

Or not.

I might be wrong.

No! I know that! I'm just saying that's the image it evokes for me - some guy ducking while his wife throws her heels at him. Gives the song a brief, humorous tone for me.

I like clunky words in ballads myself. Don't know what it is - just makes 'em seem cuter.

When I first heard "You and I," I was bugged that they didn't sing "misconstrued" together perfectly until I decided it was on purpose. Now I really like it.

Now I'm wondering if they meant to sing it together on Letterman.

I noticed in the Letterman performance that Jeff and Feist glance at each other before the "misconstrued" line as if to say "okay, are we going to be in sync this time." From what I gather, Feist recorded her parts after Jeff and the band did the basic tracking for the song, so she was working off Jeff's existing vocal tracks. The out of sync "misconstrued" seems like a Feist embellishment; an improvised moment that stuck. I don't get the impression that this was some premeditated "when you get to this line, sing it differently than me" kind of thing.

Watching this performance is exactly the reason i prefer live music to recorded. After two weeks of heavy rotation listening to the recored i never fully appreciated the guitar parts until last night. Nels work at the end of this song added so much to the vibe of this song watching him play it live.

Great job Wilco!

Totally agree. The performance had great feel and joy. Let's not forget the keyboard guys - the interplay between Pat on the uber cool white wurlitzer, and Mikael on the organ was tremendous!

wilco & feist loves you, baby