Top 20 Jeff Tweedy Songs

This has been a fun list to follow. I like reading his key lines and the reason he likes the song.

I'm OK with Wilco (The Song) making the list.

I'm very curious what's #1. These 10 are still left and I'd not have a problem with any of them ranking high on the list:

- Hell is Chrome

- All the Same To Me

- Ashes of American Flags

- Fatal Wound

- Dash 7

- Poor Places

- At Least That's What You Said

- Magazine Called Sunset

- Pieholden Suite

- Lonely One

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Francis X. Hummel

I concur. the order is skewed. for sure. I just meant that I disagreed with the first 6 songs even being on the list, and now he's getting to some really great tunes. i would definitely put Gun, Sunken Treasure, Remember the Mountain Bed and Laminated Cat above Please Tell My Brother.

I would argue that Tweedy's guthrie stuff counts. You could have given me the lyrics to Remember the Mountain Bed and i would have written a tremendously unmemorable and probably just terrible song.

Guest Jules

I would argue that Tweedy's guthrie stuff counts. You could have given me the lyrics to Remember the Mountain Bed and i would have written a tremendously unmemorable and probably just terrible song.

Yeah, the writer acknowledges this in the article. If we're getting technical, though, a "songwriter" writes both the lyrics and the music. In this case, Jeff/Wilco only did one of these.

I still think the Woody songs shouldn't count. If Jeff was an average songwriter, and the melody to Mountain Bed was better than any of his lyrics, I'd say count it. But Jeff is far from an average songwriter. Dude's got his own share of brilliant lyrics/melodies that this list doesn't need to sue Mermaid Avenue tracks.

If the writer's point was the incredible melody for this song, I think you could make a case for including it. As I recall, though, the blurb for this one pretty much just raved above Guthrie's lyrics. It's a silly inclusion for a list of "Tweedy" songs.

Guest Francis X. Hummel

It's a silly inclusion for a list of "Tweedy" songs.

I don't really care one way or another, but Remember the Mountain Bed wasn't a song. Then Tweedy got a hold of it, and it was a song. That's a Tweedy song to me. I know he didn't pen the lyrics, but he's still crucial to the creation of the song. I'm cool with the MA stuff being on the list. I'd be just as cool if he left the MA stuff off though.

It's been a decent list so far, when taking the writer's explanation into account.

But I think his choice of "Heavy Metal Drummer" as #7 is his first major dud. "Drummer" is a good song, no doubt. And it's a nice song to hear in a live setting. But I'm not sure it'd be in my Top 5 songs on YHF.

My initial gut reaction to YHF was man, what a collection of great songs. One after another. Then I hit HMD...and...while it certainly wasn't a bad song...it WAS just a song. Nothing special, the same kind of thing everybody else writes. This is the only song on YHF that I wouldn't expect to find anywhere near a list like this one. Yeah, we all love it, gotta hear it at the show...but among Tweedy's best?

Still, appreciate the suspense, man. Keep 'em comin...

My initial gut reaction to YHF was man, what a collection of great songs. One after another. Then I hit HMD...and...while it certainly wasn't a bad song...it WAS just a song. Nothing special, the same kind of thing everybody else writes. This is the only song on YHF that I wouldn't expect to find anywhere near a list like this one. Yeah, we all love it, gotta hear it at the show...but among Tweedy's best?

Still, appreciate the suspense, man. Keep 'em comin...

Uhm...not so much.

You won't be hard pressed to find Wilco fans on here who aren't too fond of HMD.

Uhm...not so much.

You won't be hard pressed to find Wilco fans on here who aren't too fond of HMD.

Well, clearly my point was that HMD is the slightest song on YHF, the one least deserving of critical acclaim. But I do admit that when the band plays the song in concert I don't sit down and scowl. I guess I could be a more dedicated hater. Sorry.

Well, clearly my point was that HMD is the slightest song on YHF, the one least deserving of critical acclaim. But I do admit that when the band plays the song in concert I don't sit down and scowl. I guess I could be a more dedicated hater. Sorry.

I think you misunderstood Shakepeare's comment - it was in direct response to your comment that "we all love it" re: HMD. He was just noting that it's not one of the most loved Wilco songs among the band's fans.

I think you misunderstood Shakepeare's comment - it was in direct response to your comment that "we all love it" re: HMD. He was just noting that it's not one of the most loved Wilco songs among the band's fans.

No, I got it. Just wanted to reinforce my primary point that HMD is not one of Tweedy's great songs. My bad for throwing a small bone to the HMD fans and muddying the waters.