Top 20 Jeff Tweedy Songs

From this decade, I think my top 5 might be;

Reservations

The Ruling Class

At Least That's What You Said

You Are My Face

Country Disappeared

From the 90's.... Sunken Treasure, Via Chicago, She's A Jar, The Lonely 1, Shot in the Arm, maybe Acuff-Rose or New Madrid.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

Ditto.

Double-ditto - and he FINALLY chose a key lyric for the Key Lyric feature. But I'm sorry, is it that hard to accurately quote lines from a song for an American Songwriter blog!?

Guest Francis X. Hummel

I don't feel like revising my list, but I think I'll say that Outtasite (Outta Mind) is the best thing Jeff has ever written. I've been saying Muzzle of Bees, Jesus, Etc, Pot Kettle Black as my favorite Wilco tunes as of late, and they're close, but Outtasite (Outta Mind) was my original favorite and after having listened to their entire catalog a bunch since the release of WTA, I see why. Just stellar.

Here is my top 20 in no particular order:

1. Gun

2. The Ruling Class

3. Hesitating Beauty

4. Muzzle of Bees

5. Sunken Treasure

6. Jesus, etc

7. California Stars

8. Remember the Mountain Bed

9. Via Chicago

10. Passenger Side

11. Solitaire

12. Poor Places

13. Far, Far Away

14. Ashes of American Flags

15. At My Window Sad and Lonely

16. Shot in the Arm

17. IATTBYH

18. ALTWYS

19. Misunderstood

20. Theologians

I think that this is a pretty interesting read.

As far as a personal list, this is pretty tough.

(Of course, we're all gonna add our own lists, right?)

In no real order, here is a running list of my choices, as I think of them:

Gun

What Light

The Long Cut

I Can't Stand It

Jesus, Etc.

Misunderstood

I'm Always In Love

Screen Door

Watch Me Fall

this article is dumb. how could u fuck the lyrics for she's a jar up. like if you're going to quote a line from the song maybe listen to the song first lol. does this person even listen to the songs or even own a copy of summerteeth?

Guest Speed Racer

:no I think I can think of 30 better songs than this.

I'm saying this as a big fan of the song, but the primary guitar riff of the song really is killer. I can totally get people not liking the song, but damn, that riff!

The schtick wore thin on that song, but it took a long time to do so for me. I know it took less time for others. It's a fun song. And it continues to explore the band vs audience dynamic that is inherent in all music and yet rarely (?) acknowledged. I have told tons of folks or had countless others tell me that Wilco loves you, baby. That counts for something. I don't have problem with it being included.

Not every song has to be (or can be) Jesus, Etc. Which, for the record, had better be #1. It's not even close, really.

Jeez, when Wilco played it on Colbert, I think it was virtually unanimous love at first listen around here. I understand that opinions change, and hyperbole is to be expected, but for what it is, it's a great song!

Guest Jules

Jeez, when Wilco played it on Colbert, I think it was virtually unanimous love at first listen around here. I understand that opinions change, and hyperbole is to be expected, but for what it is, it's a great song!

I love the song, but it doesn't belong on this list.

I loved it when they played it on Colbert. I didn't think they would put it on the freaking album, not to mention open the album with it.