7/11 Lowell

Guest zacincceo

Ahh, would've loved to hear Magazine Called Sunset. Still though, I'll trade in hearing Walken, Hate It Here, Late Greats, etc. again for the experience of last nights show

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about two people-rows in, right in front of Jeff, and it was definitely one of the best shows I've seen (last night was my seventh). Really wish the rain had held off for Magazine, I effing love that song, but the weather made it unforgettable. I'm usually pretty reserved at shows, but when they came back for ITMWLY my friends and I went completely nuts. I loved when one of the roadies put a towel over Nels' equipment and he screamed at the guy because they were going to do another song and it was soaking the water into his pedals. Lots of great banter from Jeff too, especially when a girl yelled "Do you want a diet Coke?" and he replied "No, I don't want a diet Coke, thank you...I want thousands of them." Also, during their sound check they played Too Far Apart and it sounded amazing...too bad that wasn't on the setlist.

As for Conor Oberst, I detest him. I've tried many times to enjoy his music, but everything about him is unbearable. He played a surprisingly long set, but my main problem was that none of them looked like they wanted to be there or were enjoying themselves. I wore my Okkervil River shirt as a subtle protest.

Guest kechefs

I thought it was a great show!! We were about 10 rows back from the stage and I thought the sound was incredible. While it cut the show short the rain kinda added to the whole experience. great spiders, the crowd around us was awesome. I thought $7 for a coors lite was a little steep!

Ahh, would've loved to hear Magazine Called Sunset. Still though, I'll trade in hearing Walken, Hate It Here, Late Greats, etc. again for the experience of last nights show

I agree with you. Of course it would've been great to hear more songs, and Magazine would've been exceptional, but other than that the rest of the encores were fairly common while seeing ITMWLY in the pouring rain is a pretty awesome experience.

It's depressing to see the songs we would've heard had mother nature not took a dump on all of us...

Haha, though the rain did make "i'm the man that loves you" awesome. I was standing towards the back on the field, and tons of people left during the set break, so we all got to rush the stage. Overall, it was definitely a good show. I enjoyed hearing the new tunes live, and I've never seen spiders performed live either. They also played my request! (I guess I was one of the "12-15" people to request nothingsevergonnastandinmyway.)

I'm pretty pissed off with the venue/location. It took me over an hour to park, and traffic getting out of there was ridiculous. They need to prepare more for the big crowds.

As for Conor Oberst, I detest him. I've tried many times to enjoy his music, but everything about him is unbearable. He played a surprisingly long set, but my main problem was that none of them looked like they wanted to be there or were enjoying themselves. I wore my Okkervil River shirt as a subtle protest.

I was right next to you for that! I noticed because I have that same Okkervil River shirt, but I honestly thought you were probably a Conor fan based on the shirt and the similarity in styles between the two bands (Okkervil is clearly shit-tons better)

I, personally, LOVED the fact that it rained. (I am sad to know I missed 'Magazine' but this experience was SOOO worth it!!!)

I'm actually going to see four shows this week w/ the b/f and I told him before I hope it rains once but if it does I hope it's at the "home" show. So I got my wish... :) I thought the guys did an A-MA-ZING job! It was great to hear all the new stuff live. I like how Jeff thought when we were stomping our feet (in the bleachers) it was thunder. Turned out to be kind of funny since the lightning and rain followed shortly after. I went down front for 'Spiders' and 'Hummingbird'. It was sooo cool to be with the crowd for those, yes, even for the tired clapping bit which I sensed Jeff wasn't necessarily going to do but realized we had already started :D Closing it out dancing w/ the b/f to ITMWLY in the pouring rain was freakin' INCREDIBLE!!!

I have to say even with missing some great stuff in the encores this was my 2nd best Wilco concert experience ever. (You really can't beat front row w/ no security/photography row and having Jeff banter w/ you off mic most of the night. Schubert - 2/24/08)

Next up Brooklyn!!! :rock

I was right next to you for that! I noticed because I have that same Okkervil River shirt, but I honestly thought you were probably a Conor fan based on the shirt and the similarity in styles between the two bands (Okkervil is clearly shit-tons better)

Well Will Sheff doesn't have nearly as much self-loathing as Oberst does and they're absolutely insane live instead of a bunch of angst-ridden drunks. And did you notice how the guitarist on the right would mouth every single note he played? Weird. But yeah, I would consider selling my soul for a Wilco/Okkervil River show.

And are you in Clatter Clatter? I think I've seen you guys before! It was at Great Scott or one of those places; I go to BC.

We missed out on a great version of Hoodoo Vodoo.....When I saw them in Indiana in April Nels and Pat added a dueling guitar bit that rocks. Would love to have heard You Never Know and Magazine. I requested Too Far Apart......Wasn't there for the sound check. Oh, well. Maybe next time they play in Mass. they will add a half hour to the show :thumbup .

First post here. Just wanted to add my two cents about the Lowell show last night.

I thought Lowell was a pretty cool town and the park was a unique venue, obviously. It isn't ideal for concerts but it was certainly cool to see Wilco in a baseball stadium. The setup was weird, but at the same time I didn't expect that they would let people stand in the infield and tear it to shreds in the middle of baseball season. Who cares about the lowly outfielders? It was an awesome day and an awesome show. My wife and I watched soundcheck from on top of the parking garage, enjoyed a few interesting beers at the Microbrewery down the road, and danced like fools in the rain to ITMWLY.

I was excited to see Coner Oberst and his band cause I had heard good things. Their set was polarizing- half the songs rocked and the other half made me anxiously wait for the end of their set.

Wilco was great as always. The sound wasn't perfect where I was standing on the side of the main corral, but it was good enough for me to enjoy and also to tell that Wilco was on. They are one of the best live bands out there IMO. I wish the rain would have held off for another 45 minutes but it was still a blast. I certainly will never forget dancing in the rain at a Wilco show with my wife.

I hadn't seen anybody mention this yet, but the reason that the traffic was so slow on the way out, aside from the parking and street layout, was a sobriety checkpoint catching everyone before they got on the 495. When I finally got to the checkpoint, the cop sticks his head INSIDE my car to take a whiff and asks me if I have been drinking. A simple "no" and he sends me on my way. I couldn't believe they did that, it took me 2 hours roughly to get out of Lowell. I don't want drunks on the road either, but damn, do you really want traffic backed up for hours at midnight?

Anyways, it was a fun night all in all. Gotta love any chance to see Wilco.

Well Will Sheff doesn't have nearly as much self-loathing as Oberst does and they're absolutely insane live instead of a bunch of angst-ridden drunks. And did you notice how the guitarist on the right would mouth every single note he played? Weird. But yeah, I would consider selling my soul for a Wilco/Okkervil River show.

And are you in Clatter Clatter? I think I've seen you guys before! It was at Great Scott or one of those places; I go to BC.

Hahaha, yeah I am along with Walken. And yes, Okkervil is amazing live. I caught them at the Middle East Sept 07 and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I also made fun of the guitarist on the right a lot. The whole band was pretty funny to watch. The bassist looked like he was shocked to find himself onstage in front of all those people.

Hahaha, yeah I am along with Walken. And yes, Okkervil is amazing live. I caught them at the Middle East Sept 07 and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I also made fun of the guitarist on the right a lot. The whole band was pretty funny to watch. The bassist looked like he was shocked to find himself onstage in front of all those people.

We've arrived Eric! haha.

I used the same exact phrase to describe what the bass player for Conor Oberst looked like. And Denim Dan on the right was also hilarious.

This was my first Wilco show, and it proved to be worth the wait. My father and I were front row and truly enjoyed ourselves. Conor’s set was wonderful, he played 14 songs, all of which were planned (for those who were wondering whether or not the final song was spontaneous). The man has unbelievable stage presence despite the lack of enthusiasm from the floor crowd. Though, I don’t think that venue really lends itself to his intimate performance…

Wilco were wonderful. My father had never heard them before and left the show in complete awe. He went to the record shop this morning and purchased their entire catalogue. During Spiders Jeff came down and the let the kids standing next to us strum his guitar. He must have been really taken by them as he had a camera guy give them some guitar picks during the first few songs. Other highlights for me included Nothing’severgonnastandinmyway as well as Handshake Drugs. What a show—we’re trying to find tickets for Portland now!

Hey lou wish u were here though there seems to ne a dark cloud

Over us the band rocked it out and were sooo on sometimes

you have to be grateful for qualitu if u can,t ghet quantity

Wow, one more reason not to like the guy.....but it could have been that no one talked to him about a shorter set and he just went with the program.

Sorry to hear this show was cut short. I would loved to have been there. Lowell is an interesting town. You guys in the northeast are getting some crappy weather this year, that's for sure.

LouieB

MAGAZINE!!!!!!! I would have so loved to heear that

NOTHING was a treat

I was lucky enough to snag a list after the show, with the help of a kindly security dude. After Hummingbird, it would have gone like this:

Encore 1

The Late Greats

Magazine

You Never Know

HMD

Encore 2

Hate It Here

Walken

I Am the Man Who Loves You

Hoodoo Vodoo

"you made it rain!....not really it's a coincidence."-Tweedy

All i can say is holy shit Lowell!

What a wonderful show, even though it was cut short. I was really impressed with the new songs and really enjoyed the new arrangement(?) of Spiders (Kidsmoke) the crowd participation throughout the show was incredible. I ventured upfront for the start of Connor and managed to stay until the end of Deeper Down when my wife was tired of being in the confined area and ready for some space. Kudos to the kind and considerate folks around us who had a blanket down a few feet in front of a taper (I only saw one stand), who shared space and other necessities;-).

I've got a few pics posted of the venue on my Facebook Profile Andy Jackins.

I have to say the baseball park setup is a bit strange. Personally, I felt the sound was pretty good from up front as well as back center, right beside the entrance to the dugout and third base. Big thanks to Kristofer on the 411 on Lowell, we hit up Cobblestones b4 the show and ran to the beergarden (VIP) area to get out of the rain. To those sitting on the fence (if any) don't hesitate get a ticket and go!!

I was lucky enough to snag a list after the show, with the help of a kindly security dude. After Hummingbird, it would have gone like this:

Encore 1

The Late Greats

Magazine

You Never Know

HMD

Encore 2

Hate It Here

Walken

I Am the Man Who Loves You

Hoodoo Vodoo

Ahh man... I was really looking forward to hearing both Late Greats and Hate it Here... my 2 favorite Wilco tunes!! Ohh well I hope that they come back soon!!

I hadn't seen anybody mention this yet, but the reason that the traffic was so slow on the way out, aside from the parking and street layout, was a sobriety checkpoint catching everyone before they got on the 495. When I finally got to the checkpoint, the cop sticks his head INSIDE my car to take a whiff and asks me if I have been drinking. A simple "no" and he sends me on my way. I couldn't believe they did that, it took me 2 hours roughly to get out of Lowell. I don't want drunks on the road either, but damn, do you really want traffic backed up for hours at midnight?

Anyways, it was a fun night all in all. Gotta love any chance to see Wilco.

We were lucky... We got to Lowell at like 2 in the afternoon and parked in the bottom of the garage... and got out really fast... The State Police were just pulling into and setting up the Sobriety check points as we were pulling onto 495... we got out of Lowell in 15 minutes.. from getting in the car from the garage... I think that we were one of the lucky ones!!

My second Wilco show (my first being the Tanglewood show) and this was just as amazing as the first. My girlfriend and I hit up the BBQ they had beforehand. The food was absolutely delicious and a great way to get the night started. Plus, all booze was $5 down there. $7 for luke warm piss water (Coors Light) was not my idea of good beer.

Anywho, we got on the rail, a little left of Nels, and camped out there through Conor Oberst. My thoughts on him? Pure shit. The band has some talent, the music itself sounds good. Conor's voice and lyrics are absolutely horrible. I was just wanting to kill myself. The band looked bored to tears.I thought his bass player was going to puke and Conor and his emo looking guitarist (dude near the piano player) looked fucked up on a lot more than booze and weed. We were betting some H or blow.

Finally Wilco came out and absolutely killed it. My girlfriend was thrilled to get Handshake Drugs and I went nuts for Impossible Germany. I was hoping the request song was going to be mine for Say You Miss Me, but alas it wasn't. The highlight was definitely I'm The Man Who Loves You. So much energy with the rain pouring down. It was definitely an unforgettable experience.

Hopefully I'll be in Wappingers Falls next weekend.

-Mick

Anywho, we got on the rail, a little left of Nels, and camped out there through Conor Oberst. My thoughts on him? Pure shit. The band has some talent, the music itself sounds good. Conor's voice and lyrics are absolutely horrible. I was just wanting to kill myself. The band looked bored to tears. I thought his bass player was going to puke and Conor and his emo looking guitarist (dude near the piano player) looked fucked up on a lot more than booze and weed. We were betting some H or blow.

wow-- This post is so laden with ignorant speculation (Taylor Hollingsworth being doped up on H or blow) that I feel inclined to comment. I can understand your dislike of Oberst's voice, but to site his lyrics as 'absolutely horrible' seems a bit unjust. I'm thinking you must have been either high/drunk, or I may even bet on some H or Blow because you obviously were not listening. I'd go ahead and check out some of the man's lyrics before criticizing. I’d find it a bit confusing if you confessed to love Tweedy’s lyrics while at the same time finding Oberst’s to be such rubbish… Just my .02…

wow-- This post is so laden with ignorant speculation (Taylor Hollingsworth being doped up on H or blow) that I feel inclined to comment. I can understand your dislike of Oberst's voice, but to site his lyrics as 'absolutely horrible' seems a bit unjust. I'm thinking you must have been either high/drunk, or I may even bet on some H or Blow because you obviously were not listening. I'd go ahead and check out some of the man's lyrics before criticizing. I’d find it a bit confusing if you confessed to love Tweedy’s lyrics while at the same time finding Oberst’s to be such rubbish… Just my .02…

Well said! I don't know why, but it seems Conor Oberst is EASILY the most hated musician on this board, I find that so odd

For the record, I'm completely sober and I intensely dislike Oberst's voice and lyrics. I've tried to get into him, I've tried to appreciate his style, but it's just so completely soaked in pure pretentiousness that I really can't stand it. The thing I don't get is why he's thrown this vaguely alt-country band behind him in the last few years; he's still the same old stereotypical Conor Oberst, but now with new props behind him. There's a big difference between Tweedy's lyrics and Obersts', and personally it's that I actually care about what Tweedy says, whether he's talking about doing the dishes or dreaming of killing a loved one. Oberst is like nails on a chalkboard, followed by people fawning over how important those nails on that chalkboard are.