All Time Best American Bands

I was thinking of my all time favorite American Bands and here is my top ten or fifteen (in no particular order).

Grateful Dead

CCR

Eagles

Allman Brothers

Aerosmith

Guns N Roses

REM

Beach Boys

Byrds

Nirvana

VU

Pearl Jam

ZZ Top

Doors

Ramones

the next bunch.......

Metallica

Van Halen

Chicago

Green Day

Kiss

I did not include Wilco because it is a given that I think they are the best but did not want to waste a spot.

Tell me who you think should be on the list (or off the list).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce Springsteen & The E St. Band

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Uncle Tupelo

The Replacements

Lynyrd Skynyrd

I thought about BS & TP but then decided that they were solo artists....

We could do a list of great backing bands

E Street

Heartbreakers

Crazy Horse

I'm just gonna throw up a bunch of names because that's kinda how I do these things.

Oh, and these are just BANDS, mind you... NOT solo artists or singing groups:

1. Ramones
  2. Replacements
  3. Uncle Tupelo
  4. REM
  5. Creedence Clearwater Revival
  6. 13th Floor Elevators
  7. Sly & The Family Stone
  8. Parliament
  9. The Byrds
  10. Big Star
  11. Guided By Voices
  12. Neutral Milk Hotel
  13. Velvet Underground
  14. Television
  15. Richard Hell & The Voidoids
  16. Camper Van Beethoven
  17. Shrimp Boat
  18. Talking Heads
  19. Sonic Youth
  20. Cheap Trick
  21. Flying Burrito Brothers (Gram Parsons version)
  22. NRBQ

Please notice, that I am also not including Rap/Hip-hop acts in this list, because of the band/vocal group factor. But if I did, I would also include:

1. Public Enemy
  2. Eric B & Rakkim
  3. De La Soul
  4. Beastie Boys

I thought about BS & TP but then decided that they were solo artists....

We could do a list of great backing bands

E Street

Heartbreakers

Crazy Horse

The JB's

The MG's

The Funk Brothers

Most of the ones I'd name have already been named (or are being named as I write this), so I'll add a few that haven't (unless I missed them).

Zappa/Mothers

Jefferson Airplane

The Mama's & the Papas

Minutemen

firehose

Gene Vincent and his Blue Caps

Buddy Holly & the Crickets

Guest Speed Racer

Please notice, that I am also not including Rap/Hip-hop acts in this list, because of the band/vocal group factor. But if I did, I would also include:

1. Public Enemy
  2. Eric B & Rakkim
  3. De La Soul
  4. Beastie Boys

I think a lot of these groups do incorporate instruments - one of which being the studio itself - and would definitely qualify. Not a huge Beasties fan, but every photo I see of them performing depicts most of them holding instruments/other musicians on stage.

Of course, if what you mean by your list is All Time Best American (Rock) Bands, then I'd see your point. But I think you're slighting a lot of hip-hop groups as musicians and bands if you exclude them on the list.

The Band

Not entirely American, but they certainly project the American ethos better than any group had or has ever done, or ever will do.

That's what I think of when this question is posited.

I agree with thoughts but really a Canadian Band

I think a lot of these groups do incorporate instruments - one of which being the studio itself - and would definitely qualify. Not a huge Beasties fan, but every photo I see of them performing depicts most of them holding instruments/other musicians on stage.

Of course, if what you mean by your list is All Time Best American (Rock) Bands, then I'd see your point. But I think you're slighting a lot of hip-hop groups as musicians and bands if you exclude them on the list.

I don't think that I am slighting them as musicians. And I certainly don't intend to slight them. I understand the "studio as instrument" mindset, and even subscribe to it. I just think that in this case, it's kinda apples and oranges.

Guest Speed Racer

I don't think that I am slighting them as musicians. And I certainly don't intend to slight them. I understand the "studio as instrument" mindset, and even subscribe to it. I just think that in this case, it's kinda apples and oranges.

So why aren't they bands, then?

So why aren't they bands, then?

I suppose it's the vocal-first mindset/approach that makes me think of them in a slightly different light. Whereas most rock/country bands place a greater emphasis on the instruments. (Yes, even the Beach Boys. And, I didn't include the Everly Brothers here either.... I suppose it's the same mindset. While there are instruments, it's all about the voice, really.)

I agree with thoughts but really a Canadian Band

Canada is part of North America.

just to start an argument over semantics. ;)

Canada is part of North America.

just to start an argument over semantics. ;)

I have canadian friends who don't like it when people from the U.S. use "American" to refer to themselves exclusive of Canadians, for precisely this reason. And they do have a point, I must say, even if it does leave us without a decent adjective.

I have canadian friends who don't like it when people from the U.S. use "American" to refer to themselves exclusive of Canadians, for precisely this reason. And they do have a point, I must say, even if it does leave us without a decent adjective.

"United Statesians?"

"Assholes"?