Rs Dylan, Mellen, Willie Review

in the comments following the review

...$10? pfft. I'd pay $60, I think tix are $80ish. Willie can play, Dylan is good inside in a small venue, dunno about outside. Saw him outside in 01 and that was good, 07 outside notsomuch. Sounds like Mellenhead is better now. I saw him in 97 and it was awful. He was taking smoke breaks during the songs. He sounded like shit.

in the comments following the review

...$10? pfft. I'd pay $60, I think tix are $80ish. Willie can play, Dylan is good inside in a small venue, dunno about outside. Saw him outside in 01 and that was good, 07 outside notsomuch. Sounds like Mellenhead is better now. I saw him in 97 and it was awful. He was taking smoke breaks during the songs. He sounded like shit.

dylan's band is great...dylan is not. he really isn't.

This show is coming to town at the end of the month and the wife & I are gonna try to go. I've seen Willie: great show. Never seen Dylan or JM: I like Dylan and the wife likes JM. Win-win for both of us. We are gladly gonna pay the $60 a ticket.

I'll concede Dylan and Nelson as being more seminal, more important, more iconic, etc, but I will not let someone tell me Mellencamp is better than Wilco. That's coming from someone who grew up in southern Indiana when he was at his peak.

We caught the show in Sauget, IL. earlier this month. Was a good time. First time I went to one of the baseball stadium shows - I liked the relaxed nature of it. Pretty diverse crowd. I thought they all played well and would recommend the show.

I could drive an hour to see this tour in Syracuse this weekend, or three to see Wilco. I'd love to see Willie Nelson again, but Dylan wasn't worth the $65 I paid to see him last summer, and I have no interest in Mellencamp. I'll be in Lewiston Sunday.

I would make the same decision. I love Dylan, but his shows(now-a-days) are "oh-hum" compared to Wilco.

dylan's band is great...dylan is not. he really isn't.

See, I totally disagree with this. His two current guitarists can't solo their way out of a paper bag. Dylan should be playing with a much higher caliber of musicians imo. His vocals and phrasing were fantastic in Milwaukee a few weeks ago, bit the repetitive staccato guitar parts got old after 4 songs. They played the same notes over and over through the entire song. Every one....

I think it's pretty obvious that no one expects the same kind of show from Dylan and Wilco.

A Wilco show has a group of guys playing at the absolute peak of their abilities.

A Dylan show has one of the greatest musical artists ever, alive or dead, doing whatever the fuck he wants to do.

I'd highly recommend both to any fan of music. Just don't expect beginning to end brilliance from Dylan every night.

• 2 weeks later...

I would make the same decision. I love Dylan, but his shows(now-a-days) are "oh-hum" compared to Wilco.

i've been thinking like this for the past few years. in fact, i have zero expectations when i go and see Dylan because i know that it'll prolly be an off night for him. an off night for Dylan is him hiding on the corner of the stage mumbling the words to songs that you can't recognize despite having been an avid Dylan fan your entire life.

i will say that last night, in Durham, NC, he was in a rare form! he opened his set with Cat's in the Well and Don't Think Twice, It's Alright on guitar! he seemed to be having a blast despite having to wipe sweat off himself every 5 minutes. his voiced sounded really great and the songs were tight and strong.

if you're still tossed-up about attending this show when it comes to town, i highly recommend you do. the set-lists haven't been crazy but i'd take a happy, strong sounding Dylan over a diverse setlist any night.

PS: i missed Willie's set as i was at work but Mellencamp sounded great. he's got the classic rock stage presence and totally knows how to work a crowd. i felt stupid for not knowing the words to any of his songs though.

See, I totally disagree with this. His two current guitarists can't solo their way out of a paper bag. Dylan should be playing with a much higher caliber of musicians imo. His vocals and phrasing were fantastic in Milwaukee a few weeks ago, bit the repetitive staccato guitar parts got old after 4 songs. They played the same notes over and over through the entire song. Every one....

I want BUCKY back !!!

Larry and Charlie were the ones for me. Why he let those guys go is anyone's guess...

It looks like Charlie sat in with the band last night.

Setlist:

http://www.boblinks.com/080409s.html

Discussion:

http://www.theneverendingpool.com/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,22/func,view/id,63022/catid,6/limit,15/limitstart,0/

Definitely looking forward to hear the show.