The thing about street teaming is...

It's that these posts really only serve to turn us off to a lot of music that we might be otherwise inclined to check out... and even like, if we found out about it in some other way.

There has to be some other way of promoting small bands on the internet that's not such a dick downer.

In my experience, the number of times I feel I've been "street teamed" is virtually non-existant compared to the amount genuine praise I hear/read from regular fans.

Does street teaming still happen, and where would I find some examples? (aside, of course, from XM radio's indie rock station)

EDIT: I posted this beofre reading the street teamer post about "Crosby Loggins". :stunned

I suppose you could call that street teaming.

Thing is, It's not a hit and run. I'm not going anywhere; I'm here for the long haul. And, I have already contributed to the greater conversation and will continue to do so.

I am also just giving away this album... for a band that no longer exists.

There is nothing more coming from that group. Just unloading some tunes.

But, if you want me to hang my head... okay; touché.

I suppose you could call that street teaming.

Thing is, It's not a hit and run. I'm not going anywhere; I'm here for the long haul. And, I have already contributed to the greater conversation and will continue to do so.

I am also just giving away this album... for a band that no longer exists.

There is nothing more coming from that group. Just unloading some tunes.

But, if you want me to hang my head... okay; touché.

Personally, I thought it was a cheap shot.

You have DEFINITELY shown that you are here for the long haul.

I'd say someone who promotes themselves and their music over and over and over again is more annoying than someone starting a single thread and going away. We have it made here. On a couple of other message boards I am on, people are banned who do that sort of thing. Sometimes a loose screw needs to find a screwdriver.

I'd say someone who promotes themselves and their music over and over and over again is more annoying than someone starting a single thread and going away. We have it made here. On a couple of other message boards I am on, people are banned who do that sort of thing. Sometimes a loose screw needs to find a screwdriver.

I see your point.

I just happened to join the board at a time where I am working on a new album. And that work has been dragged out by circumstances beyond my control. I also love to get feedback on the new things that I am working on. (Or, some might say, I am an attention whore.)

Either way, apologies to you who are annoyed with me. I do try to keep my promotion to only the times where I actually have something NEW to share, if that makes a difference. Like I said, the timing has worked so that I have had new stuff every month or so since I've joined. I'm hoping to have this record done in the next couple of months. Then, I'll let you know that it's done, and you probably won't be hearing anything else about my band for a few years.

Some of the street teaming is for major label acts that no one gives a shit about, like Crosby Fucking Loggins. It's pathetic that his label (RCA / Jive / Sony BMG) pays people to sit on the internet all day and post on message boards along the lines of "He sounds just like __insert message board band name here__, you should go check him out!" I guess I'm differentiating between major label scum street teaming versus small unknown band on a small unknown indie label steet teaming.

Incidentally, Loggins new album 'Time to Move' that dropped July 14th is #3,134 on Amazon's ranking. :lol

I see your point.

I just happened to join the board at a time where I am working on a new album. And that work has been dragged out by circumstances beyond my control. I also love to get feedback on the new things that I am working on. (Or, some might say, I am an attention whore.)

Either way, apologies to you who are annoyed with me. I do try to keep my promotion to only the times where I actually have something NEW to share, if that makes a difference. Like I said, the timing has worked so that I have had new stuff every month or so since I've joined. I'm hoping to have this record done in the next couple of months. Then, I'll let you know that it's done, and you probably won't be hearing anything else about my band for a few years.

I'm good at making excuses also. You should get a Twitter account.

Maybe use the ignore feature? I find it so helpful.

I'm good at making excuses also. You should get a Twitter account.

So... if you think that I add nothing but self-promo, have me banned.

i have changed my signature in order to avoid a wrist slapping

I did that as well.

i have changed my signature in order to avoid a wrist slapping. and i've only been here for 200 posts...

I think keeping self-promotion related things mostly in your sig is the way to go. People can click on it if they want, but you're not starting new threads. Of course, I may be the pot calling the kettle black...

Maybe use the ignore feature? I find it so helpful.

That's funny that you mention that. When the board came back on after being down a while, I discovered some people on my ignore list. I have never put anyone on ignore.

I should refrain - as I don't want to be called out for jumping on someone (again).

PT-

I just don't think it is necessary to start a bunch of threads everyday. You don't see that is as being a bit annoying? What if every person here did that all day long. That is why I suggested Twitter to you - you can type things all day on there about your music, the people you know, where you are going to eat, etc. And no one can scold you for doing so.

I have no power here. I am just another person who hangs out here, and is lucky to have only been banned once, and allowed back on.

Carry on, soldier.

That funny that you mention that. When the board came back on after being down a while, I discovered some people on my ignore list. I have never put anyone on ignore.

I've heard other people say that as well.

I think keeping self-promotion related things mostly in your sig is the way to go. People can click on it if they want, but you're not starting new threads.

Yes.

I am just another person who hangs out here, and is lucky to have only been banned once, and allowed back on.

It boggles the mind what your post count would be if you were never banned.