When was "Handshake Drugs" (ep version) recorded?

Does anyone know approximately when the MTLM version of Handshake Drugs was recorded? Was it during the YHF sessions? After Jay left the band?

Also, which do you prefer...that version, or the one on AGIB?

For me, I got hooked on the EP version, and it took me a long time to appreciate the AGIB one. Eventually the latter version won me over, although it's funny how little production changes can alter the entire attitude and mood of a song.

Does anyone know approximately when the MTLM version of Handshake Drugs was recorded? Was it during the YHF sessions? After Jay left the band?

For me, I got hooked on the EP version, and it took me a long time to appreciate the AGIB one. Eventually the latter version won me over, although it's funny how little production changes can alter the entire attitude and mood of a song.

hmmm I think I for sure like the AGIB version better but that might just be because I'm so used to it, though. They're sort of very different in a way so it's hard to pick one.

I also feel this way about the version of Hummingbird from the Wilco Book cd. I actually think I like that version better than the one that appears on AGIB.

All versions are great though.

i like the e.p version the best, in fact it is one of my favorite studio tracks. it has a loose and organic feel that gets lost on AGIB. i think the lineup for the e.p. was JT/LB/JS/GK/MJ....the same as AGIB. so i guess i agree about the production comment.....

About 2002, Jay isn't on it. I think Mike probably recorded it, and may have played the synths on it. Jeff is on the lead guitar, Leroy is playing the piano and he might be on the acoustic as well. John's playing the bass, Glenn's drumming. I like the early version a lot too, there's a slightly haunting quality about it.

--Mike

About 2002, Jay isn't on it. I think Mike probably recorded it, and may have played the synths on it. Jeff is on the lead guitar, Leroy is playing the piano and he might be on the acoustic as well. John's playing the bass, Glenn's drumming. I like the early version a lot too, there's a slightly haunting quality about it.

--Mike

Thanks for the info, Mike. That seems to make the most sense.

This video seems to be about halfway between the EP version and the studio version in terms of arrangement. I love Tweedy's bizarro decision to capo at the 12th fret. :)

i remember hearing this live before the ep had come out and loved it from day 1... i saw them 3 times in like 4 days that summer... Louisville, Nashville, and then Atlanta. I believe the Louisville show is where i first heard it. i love the track and never get tired of it live or when it comes up on the ipod. i favor the KT version as far as recordings go, but enjoy it the most when everyone around me gets jacked up when they crank that song up live. it is mind blowing live... more so than the other concert constant IMTWLY.

that video is awesome. i think tweedy has said he hates playing lead guitar nowadays, but he is definitely good enough. i prefer that live version to live versions nowadays.

not sure which studio version i like better. i have to listen to them again.

i love the ep version and still do to this day it just sounds better to me, slow and i guess more organic if that makes sense, i loved the soundstage version and the ep sounds so much alike.

For my money the Soundstage performance is the best version of Handshake Drugs they've ever done. I love the slow build and prefer the guitar solo-fade out ending to the noise.

--Mike

this. reminds me of VU. back then it seemed like they were into trying things, testing how songs would turn out. it was an adventure. nowadays, I think they now how everything is going to be played, how it'll all sound, no surprises, no adventure, and that makes me sad. maybe someday they'll get back to this, or at least I hope they do.

That video is pretty cool, I have to say that's probably my favorite version of Handshake now with that slow sort of eerie minimal fadeout. That AGIB/post YHF lineup was sort of interesting in their approach, must go looking for some shows.

That video is pretty cool, I have to say that's probably my favorite version of Handshake now with that slow sort of eerie minimal fadeout. That AGIB/post YHF lineup was sort of interesting in their approach, must go looking for some shows.

Owl and Bear Wilco Archive

I recommend downloading:

10/29/2002

11/2/2002

6/21/2003

9/4/2003

9/19/2003

9/20/2003

--Mike

this. reminds me of VU. back then it seemed like they were into trying things, testing how songs would turn out. it was an adventure. nowadays, I think they now how everything is going to be played, how it'll all sound, no surprises, no adventure, and that makes me sad. maybe someday they'll get back to this, or at least I hope they do.

Yeah, me too. It doesn't seem like they are tweaking the arrangements of the newer material anymore. The first versions we heard of most of the SBS/WTA material were all pretty similar to the final product. One of the reasons I think Yankee and Ghost worked so well is that they had tried virtually everything with those songs before they came to their album versions. Then again aside from scrapping it entirely, I am not sure anything could be done to Leave Me Like You Found Me to make it work for me.

--Mike.

It was this version that made Pitchfork's Top 500 Tracks of the 2000s. #411. No blurb.

For the record, I always preferred the More Like The Moon version over AGIB: I thought I was in the minority. I'm still in the minority, probably.

Also Poor Places is #147.