Dylan stopped by cops in New Jersey. HAHA

hell, id go to their childhood homes. thats cool as hell, you can see how a songwriter grew up, which is huge. think of how they were inspired and stuff.

Well hell yeah, I feel that way. But I'm not Bob Dylan!

Well hell yeah, I feel that way. But I'm not Bob Dylan!

At the end of the day I think Dylan is just a fan like any other music fan who is interested in the history of some his favorite musicians. In Chronicles he goes on and on about his influences. Sure he is Dylan, but I think he was Dylan the music fan before he was Dylan the songwriter.

Listening to his radio show you can sense that he really digs the roots/history of music.

At the end of the day I think Dylan is just a fan like any other music fan who is interested in the history of some his favorite musicians. In Chronicles he goes on and on about his influences. Sure he is Dylan, but I think he was Dylan the music fan before he was Dylan the songwriter.

Listening to his radio show you can sense that he really digs the roots/history of music.

Now that makes a lot of sense. I did read chronicles and you are right, that sense of wonder about some of his influences was still there.

Maybe he's just trying to write another verse to one of his songs?

Oh, where have you been, my blue-eyed son?

Oh, where have you been, my darling young one?

I been to the childhood homes of Neil Young and John Lennon,

I been tryin' to find the home where the Boss wrote Born to Run,

I been wanderin' around like a delusional vagrant,

I've been questioned n' detained n' forced to prove who I was,

While the rain was a'pourin' and my sweats they were soakin',

Where the cop was a youngin' who didn't know her Dylan,

It's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard,

It's a hard rain that did fall

Maybe he's just trying to write another verse to one of his songs?

Oh, where have you been, my blue-eyed son?

Oh, where have you been, my darling young one?

I been to the childhood homes of Neil Young and John Lennon,

I been tryin' to find the home where the Boss wrote Born to Run,

I been wanderin' around like a delusional vagrant,

I've been questioned n' detained n' forced to prove who I was,

While the rain was a'pourin' and my sweats they were soakin',

Where the cop was a youngin' who didn't know her Dylan,

It's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard,

It's a hard rain that did fall

HEH!

Naybe Bob is happy he is no longer recognized.

I can picture this whole episode being a real hoot for Bob. Like he's said, being recognized everywhere is a burden. Imagine his feelings when being taken for a common tramp and thrown into a cruiser. He'd probably pay good money for that experience.

I still keep trying to picture in my head what he possibly could have been doing to alarm the folks in the neighborhood (aside from being an old white guy walking around the latin district). I imagine him walking around mumbling and spouting off random phrases and prose to people as they pass by. or talking to trees or fire hydrants or something.

I teach high school literature. Most days, I play music in my classroom. Trust me, young people have no idea who Bob Dylan is. I'm lucky if 3 or 4 kids out of 130 recognize the name. They all know about Jack's Mannequin, though.

Who the hell are Jack's Mannequin? Seriously.

I completely agree with this. I think he is one of the great musicologists of this generation. I love Theme Time Radio Hour. It's like a new version of Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music every week.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoekstra/2009/08/jim_dickinson_takes_a_walk.html

Below is a segment from Sun-Times' Dave Hoekstra's piece about Jim Dickinson. I thought it was apt for this thread.

He told me about riding with Dylan from the airport during the "Time Out of Mind" sessions in Miami. "They said, 'Don't look at him, don't talk to him'," Mr. Dickinson recalled. "The first thing he asked me was about Tennessee-born country-blues guitar picker 'Sleepy' John Estes. What am I supposed to do? Not answer him?

"This is where he really got me: He said the last time he came to Memphis he went to Humes High School where Elvis Presley attended. Of course, he didn't tell me why, but he didn't have to. He said, 'They let me walk around the halls while school was going on. I went in the auditorium and stood on the stage--and then I found a lucky penny.' This hit me in my heart. Here was this man who changed the world who is still in awe of Elvis Presley, as well he should be. He's got me forever. There are many things in this life that are disappointing.

"Bob Dylan is not one of them."

I still keep trying to picture in my head what he possibly could have been doing to alarm the folks in the neighborhood (aside from being an old white guy walking around the latin district). I imagine him walking around mumbling and spouting off random phrases and prose to people as they pass by. or talking to trees or fire hydrants or something.

I bet he was explaining the ballad of frankie lee and judas priest. bastard.