Dylan stopped by cops in New Jersey. HAHA

Friday, Aug 14 2009

Like a complete unknown: Bob Dylan frogmarched to collect ID after

rookie policewoman fails to recognise scruffy music legend

Back in 1965 Bob Dylan sang: 'How does it feel to be on your own, with

no direction home, like a complete unknown?'

Now, 44 years later, the world-famous musician got his answer when he

was stopped by a police officer who didn't know who he was.

The 22-year-old officer asked the 'eccentric-looking old man' for

identification papers after stopping him in the U.S. seaside town of

Long Branch, New Jersey.

Music legend Bob Dylan had been taking an afternoon stroll when

residents of Long Branch, New Jersey complained of a man "acting

suspiciously."

Not recognising his name, the officer ordered him into the back of her

police car, driving him back to his hotel to check his story. It was

not until she radioed her colleagues at the station to ask who he was,

did she learn of her error.

The 68-year-old singer had been in town for a concert with Willie

Nelson and John Mellencamp.

Dylan was taking an afternoon stroll through the town’s Latin quarter

when town's police station received a call complaining that a man was

acting suspiciously. Police officer Craig Spencer said: 'Residents

called to complain there was an old scruffy man acting suspiciously.

"It was an odd request because it was mid-afternoon, but it’s an

ethnic Latin area and the residents felt the man didn’t fit in. Let's

just say he looked eccentric.

"We dispatched a young woman officer. She is 22 and unfortunately she

had no idea who Bob Dylan was. He was on a walkabout but she wasn’t

entirely convinced of his innocence.

"She took him back to the hotel to check his papers, then she called

us to check who Bob Dylan was. I’m afraid we all fell about laughing.

If it was me, I’d have been demanding his autograph not his photo ID."

[Note: UK translation of actual language used by New Jersey cops, who

don't typically "fall about laughing." -- A.S.]

"The poor woman has taken rather a lot of abuse from us," he added."I

offered to bring in some of my Dylan albums, but unfortunately she

doesn’t know what vinyl is either."

This is not the first time that the notoriously reclusive singer has

been spotted out alone.

He shunned his chauffeur-driven car after a concert in Belfast in

1991, and was captured by a television crew waiting at a bus stop

instead.

The music legend once told an interviewer: "Being noticed is a

burden. Jesus got himself crucified because he got himself noticed. So

I disappear a lot."

Dylan’s 1960s anthem "The Times They Are a-Changin’" signalled the

start of America’s youth protest movement. Given yesterday's

incident, it seems he was right.

How the hell does someone not recognize Bob Dylan? Or even know who he is?

She is 22

I worked in an office over a decade ago with people who were older than 22 back then and didn't know who Bob Dylan was or what he looked like. Their interest in music rarely extended beyond what was on the charts that week.

This happened in New Jersey and only UK papers are reporting it? I call bullshit. That, and it is totally journalistically unethical to translate something into British and put it in quotes. But the Brits are not known for journalistic ethics.

How the hell does someone not recognize Bob Dylan? Or even know who he is?

I teach high school literature. Most days, I play music in my classroom. Trust me, young people have no idea who Bob Dylan is. I'm lucky if 3 or 4 kids out of 130 recognize the name. They all know about Jack's Mannequin, though.

I teach high school literature. Most days, I play music in my classroom. Trust me, young people have no idea who Bob Dylan is. I'm lucky if 3 or 4 kids out of 130 recognize the name. They all know about Jack's Mannequin, though.

I don't know, considering how few folks here stopped in on either the Mike Seeger or Rashied Ali threads to remember them or not that many more stopped in on the Les Paul thread it is really not surprising your students don't know who he is. Most younger folks have no idea.

My kids tell their peers they like Bob Dylan and they don't know who they are talking about.

Naybe Bob is happy he is no longer recognized. Might be a good thing.

edit-regarding the thread about I don't like music as much as I used to..etc. Back in the old days, like when I was the age of Beltman's students, we all knew who Bob Dylan was (mostly) because not only did he have some hit singles, but just about everyone sang his goddam songs, both recording artists and all of us sitting around with guitars and shit. Only the very least hip kids had no idea. Life has changed so much it scares the shit out of me.

LouieB

I could understand a 22 year old not recognizing him, since most pictures you'd see of him are from the 60's. But to not KNOW who he IS? Really now.

This does sound a bit dodgey, with the translated quotes and all. (Not because of the actual incident. Some people are just that dumb.)

a month or so ago while I was still in treatment I was taking a couple of the younger ones to lunch one day, and a girl picked up the Shakey book in my backseat and asked me "who is Neil Young?"

:mellow

I think I was born in the wrong generation. Maybe that is it. Still, it appalls me. I'm pissed that no one knows who Bob Dylan is. There should be Bob Dylan statues around. Really.

Beer at the Whitehouse! :cheers

:lol

he might have been looking like this: :lol

bob_dylan_47341.jpg

"Brad Pitt in the year 2030"

A possible method to Dylan's madness:

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/bob_dylan/news/13477

Bob Dylan could have been on his way to visit Bruce Springsteen’s old home when he was picked up by police last month.

Residents in Long Branch, New Jersey called the cops when they saw a scruffy looking man wandering the streets in the rain.

Dylan claims he was just going for a walk but he was close to the house where Springsteen wrote ‘Born to Run’ and ‘Thunder Road’.

The singer has also visited the childhood homes of Neil Young and John Lennon in the past year.

Police officer Kirstie Buble didn’t believe that he really was Bob Dylan until his manager showed her his passport when she drove him back to his hotel.

She told ABC News: "I've seen pictures of Bob Dylan from a long time ago and he didn't look like Bob Dylan to me at all.

"He was wearing black sweatpants tucked into black rain boots, and two raincoats with the hood pulled down over his head."

The singer says he was visiting Long Branch to play a concert with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp.

For some reason I find it very odd that Dylan is interested in visiting these boyhood homes and other places. I mean, I'm sure he could call Neil Young or Bruce Springsteen on the phone any time he wanted. Maybe like many of us he is seeing if he can gleen some sort of idea on what inspires and creates other artists. Nature vs. Nurture, all that stuff. I just don't expect a living legend that rubs elbows or has rubbed elbows (in the case of Lennon) to do that sort of thing. I would think to him more than most, these are just people and not really "Idols".