Now I remember why I was an independent all those years.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In which John Stewart, a COMEDIAN, eviscerates Bill Kristol, editor of The Weekly Standard, and all around fuckhead, in just about every way imaginable, with a special nod to health care.

With video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/28/bill-kristol-admits-publi_n_246145.html

I wonder if Jon Stewart tries to play the gotcha game with his more liberal guests.

I wonder if Fox News plays the gotcha game with conservatives – in fact they do not. But the difference, is that Fox News labels itself a fair and balanced news channel, while The Daily Show makes no claims concerning fairness and/or balance.

Kristol dug his own hole, Stewart just gave him the shovel.

Guest Speed Racer

an abortion only benefits the person having the abortion

I do not believe that this statement is accurate. In fact, I would argue that the person the abortion harms the most is likely to be the person having an abortion. A baby does not impact a single person's life, but rather many people's lives. While the love and connection with a baby can be positive to be sure, that does not mean they don't come without stresses that some people simply aren't ready for. If you are not emotionally able to give a baby up for adoption, then you are not able to give the baby up for adoption, period. If you are not emotionally or physically able to care for a child and you carry the child to term, you might become an awesome parent, yes, or you might completely wig out. This means your child either ends up in the system, or ends up in a potentially loveless, emotionally void (or abusive) family situation. This situation does not impact only the mother and the child, but the mother's family, potentially the father's family, and anyone else who cares for or emotioanlly or materially sustains the mother and/or child.

To say that there is anyone else more capable of determining this than the person getting the abortion is simply stupid. If the woman is not capable of making that decision herself, she likely shouldn't be carrying the child to term or raising the child in the first place.

whereas national defense benefits everyone.

That's assuming the national defense spending was based upon a viable threat. I'll wager there were a lot of unjust killings this year.

In which John Stewart, a COMEDIAN, eviscerates Bill Kristol, editor of The Weekly Standard, and all around fuckhead, in just about every way imaginable, with a special nod to health care.

With video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/28/bill-kristol-admits-publi_n_246145.html

I'm not a huge Jon Stewart fan, but I think instances like this show his strength and prove why he's important. HIs interviews with Conservatives are actually far more interesting and thought-provoking than when he interviews those who think like him.

It's rare, but Stewart sometimes finds himself losing a gotcha game. Wasn't it earlier this year that Stewart got caught in a "gotcha" moment? A Conservative who supported waterboarding terrorists got Stewart to admit that Harry Truman was a war criminal. Stewart later took the comment back, but it rang pretty hollow.

K103steedle0185.jpg

K103pink0151.jpg

The irony of all ironies regarding these sign holding morons, is that they voted for Bush twice, so in that sense, they themselves share the blame for enabling him to mishandle the economy for eight years. Which is not to say that Clinton and the democrats did not have a hand in fucking things up as well, but Jesus fucking Christ, before blaming all the nations woes on a president that inherited Bush’s incompetence, after only 8 months, take a good look in the mirror before picking up a crayon and putting it to paper.

If you voted for Bush, congratulate yourself for helping to fuck up our economy and our standing in the world – if you voted for Bush twice, and think Palin would have made a fine successor, do yourself and the rest of us a huge favor, stay home on election day, and/or shut the fuck up - and don't forget to congratulate yourself on being a two-time or more loser.

I do not believe that this statement is accurate. In fact, I would argue that the person the abortion harms the most is likely to be the person having an abortion. A baby does not impact a single person's life, but rather many people's lives. While the love and connection with a baby can be positive to be sure, that does not mean they don't come without stresses that some people simply aren't ready for. If you are not emotionally able to give a baby up for adoption, then you are not able to give the baby up for adoption, period. If you are not emotionally or physically able to care for a child and you carry the child to term, you might become an awesome parent, yes, or you might completely wig out. This means your child either ends up in the system, or ends up in a potentially loveless, emotionally void (or abusive) family situation. This situation does not impact only the mother and the child, but the mother's family, potentially the father's family, and anyone else who cares for or emotioanlly or materially sustains the mother and/or child.

My argument was a bit of a simplification, but you seem to have missed my point entirely. I'll admit that an abortion affects more than just one person (though you must admit that it harms at least one person worse than the mother), but it still runs hundreds of millions of people short of affecting everyone. My point was that - whether or not the decision is made by just one individual or a group - that it's not a decision made by the government on behalf of everyone and, given the controversial nature of this personal decision, should not be paid for with tax money.

To say that there is anyone else more capable of determining this than the person getting the abortion is simply stupid. If the woman is not capable of making that decision herself, she likely shouldn't be carrying the child to term or raising the child in the first place.

Again, you're trying to steer the discussion away from who should pay for an abortion to who should decide if a woman can have one. I'd be glad to beat that dead horse some more (and without receiving any tax dollars to fund the beating), but that has nothing to do with my argument here.

That's assuming the national defense spending was based upon a viable threat. I'll wager there were a lot of unjust killings this year.

And if the people aren't happy with how their national defense is being conducted, they are free to elect someone else (as they did last year). If a woman makes a decision to have an abortion that you feel kills an innocent person and it's paid for with your tax dollars, you can't vote her out of office.

If the government is not going to pay for abortions, the least it should do is pay for rubbers.

If the government is not going to pay for abortions, the least it should do is pay for rubbers.

I can envision the campaign slogan of our next President: "A rubber on every...."

It's not like rubbers aren't available. It's not like these kids don't have this drilled into them from the 6th grade on (so to speak).

The issue is one that every man understands and immature men can't deal with.

Simply and crudely said...it doesn't feel as good with a rubber.

And no amount of education or hand wringing will combat the fact that is all young men REALLY care about.

The irony of all ironies regarding these sign holding morons, is that they voted for Bush twice, so in that sense, they themselves share the blame for enabling him to mishandle the economy for eight years. Which is not to say that Clinton and the democrats did not have a hand in fucking things up as well, but Jesus fucking Christ, before blaming all the nations woes on a president that inherited Bush’s incompetence, after only 8 months, take a good look in the mirror before picking up a crayon and putting it to paper.

If you voted for Bush, congratulate yourself for helping to fuck up our economy and our standing in the world – if you voted for Bush twice, and think Palin would have made a fine successor, do yourself and the rest of us a huge favor, stay home on election day, and/or shut the fuck up - and don't forget to congratulate yourself on being a two-time or more loser.

:cheers

And ya gotta love the dude with the "I Miss Reagan" shirt on. That lousy motherfucker is more responsible for destroying the middle class/union jobs than anyone else. The economic disaster we've been trying to deal with was set in motion by Reagan and the culture of greed that surrounded him and his ilk.

And ya gotta love the dude with the "I Miss Reagan" shirt on. That lousy motherfucker is more responsible for destroying the middle class/union jobs than anyone else. The economic disaster we've been trying to deal with was set in motion by Reagan and the culture of greed that surrounded him and his ilk.

:rolleyes

I guess what we needed was 8 years of Carter.

My

Again, you're trying to steer the discussion away from who should pay for an abortion to who should decide if a woman can have one. I'd be glad to beat that dead horse some more (and without receiving any tax dollars to fund the beating), but that has nothing to do with my argument here.

It’s a valid argument, I just don’t find it very compelling. If we were to sit down and review every single tax payer supported expenditure, I’m sure we’d each come up with dozens and dozens that we disagree with and would rather not fund. Abortion is legal, and as such, I see no reason to not fund it as one small part of some sort of government administered health care plan. The vast majority of folks who oppose abortion do so for reasons having to do with their religion, but again, religious beliefs should not drive public policy.

I guess what we needed was 8 years of Carter.

Then we would already have solar-powered flying cars, and the ice caps would be largely intact! We might all be speaking Farsi, though.

It’s a valid argument, I just don’t find it very compelling. If we were to sit down and review every single tax payer supported expenditure, I’m sure we’d each come up with dozens and dozens that we disagree with and would rather not fund. Abortion is legal, and as such, I see no reason to not fund it as one small part of some sort of government administered health care plan. The vast majority of folks who oppose abortion do so for reasons having to do with their religion, but again, religious beliefs should not drive public policy.

So the solution is to pile on more expenditures that people will disagree with?

So the solution is to pile on more expenditures that people will disagree with?

In a word, yes. I would like to see what percentage of health care costs would go towards funding abortion, my guess, though I don’t have the numbers to back this up, is that it would account for a miniscule percentage of the overall cost.

Edit - more expenditures that SOME people disagree with - why should their religious beliefs trump health and wellness policy?

Your Mental, how about all the Bush and iraq qar protesters that voted for clinton who dropped bombs on that country througout the 90s same deal . Liberals like to laugh at crazy conservatives just for fun, you know both parties are tied deep into political rhetoric and nothing else supporting either is equally stupid the right wing dosent care if they start a culturual civil war its about politics just like they dont realy care if their is free health care or not why would they care its bnot their money, their against it because of their parties idealogies or fake persona same goes for the dems. One giant party runs your country its called RICH PPL .. stop whining watch more late era geaorge carlin.

p.s no such thing as the n.w.o sorry for spitting all that shitte

Edit - more expenditures that SOME people disagree with - why should their religious beliefs trump health and wellness policy?

Because their right to do what they want with their own money trumps the rights of others to have free abortions. The amount of mental gymnastics you have to do to equate not using money that people are required by law to pay to fund the killing of the fetuses of strangers to violating the separation of church and state is astounding. Making people pay for their own abortions? Next thing you know, they're gonna burn atheists at the stake.