I am enough of a bleeding heart liberal that I still get a surge when I hear If I Had A Hammer.

Also, it's not a stretch to say that most of us might never have heard of a certain Mr. Zimmerman if it weren't for the Peter, Paul & Mary cover of Blowin' In The Wind. So I was always grateful to them for that.

One of my earliest musical memories was listening to my parents P, P&M albums. We've lost another of America's great voices of freedom.

RIP, Mary Travers - we love you and miss you already. :worship

Man I absolutely loved "The Marvelous Toy." I would play that over and over again.

I was never really a fan, but I have to agree with the above statement.

Regardless of personal taste, this is a sad, sad loss.

R.I.P. Mary.

It is hard to understand at this point in time how important these albums were. All lefty/folkies had them, which is why they are easy to find in resale stores among piles of other discarded albums. PP&M made tons of dough for Warner Brothers and helped promote the careers of dozens of songwriters including the aforementioned Bob Dylan and Tom Paxton. Not only did they sing at anti-war and civil rights events, they were on the radio with hit singles throughout the 60s.

I have to admit that when their reunion specials were played adnauseum on PBS I stopped watching, but I did see them once at an arena type show. Their popularity can not be underestimated. They sang great songs about important topics, both political and personal. Sad day!!

(Puff the Magic Dragon was not about drugs, but believe what you will.)

LouieB

NPR did a piece on her this am. I cried like a baby -- their music meant so much to me. As a kid as we sang a bunch of songs in music class, though I didn't necessarily know what I was singing.

RIP Mary -- you were loved and respected by millions.

Something outside of Peter, Paul, and Mary - I believe these clips are from the T.V. show Cass had (briefly):

Cass Elliot, Mary Travers & Joni Mitchell - I Shall Be Released

Mary Travers - And When I Die

I think recall hearing one of those albums back in the very early 1970s. It was probably Puff, the Magic Dragon (which later was made into a cartoon). I can't say that I was ever into their music, really. But I respect what they did - and of course, they helped bring Dylan to a wider audience.

This news made me much sadder than I would have anticipated. Not sure why.

Childhood's end.

Childhood's end.

I don't think that is it. Our childhoods were long ago. It is more about mortality instead. Each time someone who seems a contemporary goes, it brings on emotions regarding ones demise. PP&M stopped being imporatant a very long time ago.

LouieB