Ticketmaster

Seriously jealous!!

I think the most I've paid for a ticket was REM in 2004, Phillips Arena in Atlanta. $65 (w/o the fees) for nosebleed seats.

I was at that show! I was in the 400 sec I believe it was on $35 so I probably had more of a nosebleed than you did :lol

That show had an amazing setlist! Worth the drive from NJ :cheers

I use to work at a box office that used ticketweb online, but I also rubbed shoulders with those manning phones in a box office where ticketmaster ran the show, and I'd like to add to what's already been said about their fleecing ways that their "best available" seat that they sell you is a lie. they don't only keep the best seats in shady scalping deals, their system purposefully doesn't give you the best of what actually is available, probably to make last minute buyers more enticed by the seat they didn't sell you, but I also like to think it's for a laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't really deserve it's own thread but I thought I would chime in on this one.... I received my Wilco Toronto ticket last night from Front Gate presale. In addition to a $6 service charge, they hit me with $10.50 for delivery. And it came USPS. I figured for $10 it would be couriered - stuff from them has been couried before. I think it was a 44 cent stamp. Cripes.

I know in terms of percentage it is not as bad as other examples that people have referenced, but I just got hosed. There is a benefit concert next weekend in Boston and the show includes both Kristin Hersh (Throwing Muses) and Bill Janovitz (Buffalo Tom), two of my favorite musicians. Tickets are $10 but there was both a $2.50 convenience charge and a $2.60 handling charge. For tickets I'll pick at at Will Call.

I get the convenience charge. I thought about going to the box office at lunch but when I first looked only the convenience charge showed up and I thought "I will pay $2.50 for the convenience of not going over there." And it was only when I did the final check-out that the other charge showed up.

I know in terms of percentage it is not as bad as other examples that people have referenced, but I just got hosed. There is a benefit concert next weekend in Boston and the show includes both Kristin Hersh (Throwing Muses) and Bill Janovitz (Buffalo Tom), two of my favorite musicians. Tickets are $10 but there was both a $2.50 convenience charge and a $2.60 handling charge. For tickets I'll pick at at Will Call.

So Ticketmaster is probably getting more money per ticket than whatever cause the show is a benefit for.

• 2 months later...

huh. I just got this email from the 9:30club:

Concert Fans Beware!

There’s a train wreck about to happen and consumer groups say YOU will be the victim if the two most powerful corporate interests in the live concert business get their way. But you can help stop the merger of Ticketmaster and Live Nation. The government needs to hear from music fans now. Tell the Department of Justice that you’re against these monopolies amassing illegal power over consumers, before it’s too late. antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov

As a concertgoer you have already felt the pain, and if Ticketmaster and Live Nation get their way, it’ll get worse. In the last 12 years, since Live Nation and its predecessor started its widespread takeover of the concert industry, concert ticket prices have shot up 82% while the consumer price index has gone up just 17%*. We are concerned that if the two concert industry behemoths, Live Nation and Ticketmaster, are permitted to merge, the variety and quality of artists coming to local venues will be affected, and your costs could rise further and faster.

Five of the nation’s most prominent public interest groups called on the Department of Justice to block the proposed merger of Ticketmaster and Live Nation:

“Consumers deserve a fair deal in the entertainment marketplace, not the fewer choices and higher prices that would result from this merger,” said Susan Grant, Director of Consumer Protection at Consumer Federation of America

“This merger is an insult to both musicians and consumers,” said James Love, Director of Knowledge Ecology International

“We cannot envision a remedy that would ease this chilling impediment to competition… In the absence of other effective, expeditious remedies, the proposed transaction should be prohibited.” American Antitrust Institute White Paper

As described by Senator Herb Kohl (WI) in the House Antitrust hearing, “This merger will not only expand Ticketmaster’s control of the ticketing market by eliminating a competitor, but it is also creating an entity that will control the entire chain of the concert business – from artist management to concert promotion and production to ticketing and ticket resale.”

“This merger would be a disaster for consumers. Nothing short of blocking this takeover of the ticket market by two industry behemoths will be acceptable,” said National Consumers League Executive Director Sally Greenberg

“As president, I will direct my administration to reinvigorate antitrust enforcement. I will step up review of merger activity and take effective action to stop or restructure those mergers that are likely to harm consumer welfare…,” said Senator Barack Obama when he was campaigning for the presidency.

If you agree with the consumer groups and lawmakers, make a difference and LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD NOW.

Send a message to the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice telling them you support President Obama’s campaign promise to protect the American public from abusive monopolies.

antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov

To learn more, check out:

ticketdisaster.org

Public Interest Groups Call on Justice Department to Block Ticketmaster/LiveNation/Comcast Merger

American Antitrust Institute's White Paper TICKETMASTER - LIVE NATION

Philadelphia Weekly’s cover story “Monopoly Rules”

Signed,

The 9:30 Club, I.M.P., Merriweather Post Pavilion, Jam Productions, Metropolitan Talent, Another Planet Entertainment, Frank Productions, Stone City Attractions, Rams Head Live, The Black Cat ... and independent concert promoters and venue operators nationwide.

*Study by Princeton University economist Alan Krueger

If you are viewing the text-only version of this email, click the following link to email:

You are receiving this email because, as a concertgoer, we feel this is an issue that needs to be brought to your attention.

To unsubscribe, reply to this email with "unsubscribe" in the subject or simply click on the following link (PLEASE NOTE - Choosing to unsubscribe to this email will remove you from all future 9:30 Club mailings, including our weekly email blasts): Unsubscribe

9:30 Club

815 V St. NW

Washington, D.C. 20001

USA

Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy.

Send a message to the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice telling them you support President Obama’s campaign promise to protect the American public from abusive monopolies.

antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov

No need to do that, the DOJ is already probing the merger and has been since February:

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/02/justice-departm/