Now Playing: October, 2009

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES!

Please tell me you have/plan to delve deeper into the Furries' catalogue?

After this, you know it! For the most part I'm always late for the party but I end up getting there.

After this, you know it! For the most part I'm always late for the party but I end up getting there.

I firmly believe that SFA is the most consistently creative and interesting band making music today. They've literally touched on just about every genre imaginable, and they've released nine great albums, and 16 years worth of terrific b-sides.

There's really not much that isn't worth checking out. As you can tell, I pretty much worship those guys. But they're simultaneously an easy band to get into, and one that can throw a whole load of experimentation at you, at the same time.

Radiator may be their best album, but at any point in time I've called any of the nine their best album.

I cannot recommend them enough.

I firmly believe that SFA is the most consistently creative and interesting band making music today. They've literally touched on just about every genre imaginable, and they've released nine great albums, and 16 years worth of terrific b-sides.

There's really not much that isn't worth checking out. As you can tell, I pretty much worship those guys. But they're simultaneously an easy band to get into, and one that can throw a whole load of experimentation at you, at the same time.

Radiator may be their best album, but at any point in time I've called any of the nine their best album.

I cannot recommend them enough.

It's amazing how this album grabbed me immediately after one listen. I'm really looking forward to delving deeper into their stuff. I seem to remember Paul McCartney making an appearance on one of their CD's chewing carrot sticks or something. Does that ring a bell?

It's amazing how this album grabbed me immediately after one listen. I'm really looking forward to delving deeper into their stuff. I seem to remember Paul McCartney making an appearance on one of their CD's chewing carrot sticks or something. Does that ring a bell?

Yes. Ironically enough, he's on the album Rings Around The World, on a track called Receptacle for the Respectable.

RATW is a lot of people's favorite SFA album. It isn't mine, though. It's still a damn fine album, but it's really big if you know what I mean. They got signed by Sony, and got a buttload of money and studio time to record that one. And it shows. Not a bad thing at all, it's just the one I come back to least frequently.

I'd probably recommend Guerilla next. It's kinda their OK Computer, in that it somewhat builds off of the previous album (Radiator), yet establishes itself as a whole different world. Gruff has referred to it as their "pop jukebox" album. It goes effortlessly from a two minute rock song, to a bit of tropicalia, to gorgeous ambience, to techno, to an acoustic country ballad, and everywhere in between. Quite an interesting listen.

john prine - sweet revenge

on a huge prine kick. god he's great.

Absolutely!

Prine's one of my favorite songwriters.

I've actually got a pretty good Super Furry Animals compilation on my computer - with tracks from across their whole career, if you want me to upload it. Let me know. I'm happy to do so.

I think they are an incredible band, and it's often hard to say which album people should get, because all are brilliant and different in their own ways - so a compilation might help you work out which albums to get next. (you've gotta get them all eventually though!)

I've actually got a pretty good Super Furry Animals compilation on my computer - with tracks from across their whole career, if you want me to upload it. Let me know. I'm happy to do so.

I think they are an incredible band, and it's often hard to say which album people should get, because all are brilliant and different in their own ways - so a compilation might help you work out which albums to get next. (you've gotta get them all eventually though!)

I don't often do this, but with SFA, their greatest hits album might be a good place to start.

Of course, by now it's a few albums out of date (and there are some absolute classics released since Songbook), so a more personal compilation is probably better.

But really, pick an album, and odds are you'll find something. They were a hell of a band for me to fully discover, album by album.

God, I fucking love Pavement.

I'm on a Pavement kick today as well. I almost put that on this morning but his solo record beat it out.

NP:

51TZ59J1JNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Haven't listened to this in forever...it hasn't aged particularly well either.

I certainly would not say no to something like that although like you said, I'll probably just get them all anyway.