It's just odd and wierd that someone who's told countless jokes about Bill Clinton or John Edwards or Mark Sanford, etc...admits to doing things that aren't that dissimilar.

Of course, Letterman only just recently got married, so maybe technically he never actually cheated on his wife (it's unknown when all his sexcapades took place).

And it was VERY odd how Letterman was seemingly try to get a laugh or two from the audience as he was admitting to doing things that I can imagine his current wife not finding too funny.

Guest Speed Racer

And it was VERY odd how Letterman was seemingly try to get a laugh or two from the audience as he was admitting to doing things that I can imagine his current wife not finding too funny.

a ) I don't. I've certainly done that before, and I'll wager you have too.

b ) Cheating on a girlfriend is not all that different from cheating on a wife, especially when she's been your girlfriend for about 20 years (not to go giving dating advice willy-nilly, just thought I should clarify);

c ) His job is to tell jokes. People engaging in infidelity are easy targets. Have you never, EVER made fun of someone for doing something stupid that you had also done at one point or another?

If he didn't tell his girlfriend before he did it, or directly after he did it, then he DID hide it and lie about it.

Exactly. He's only saying something because he was getting blackmailed and now he has to testify.

As far as a double standard of him telling jokes making fun of people involved in adultry, he's a comedian not an attorney general. Whatever he does in his private life, doesn't really matter.

The bit about the fake $2 million check is great.

As far as a double standard of him telling jokes making fun of people involved in adultry, he's a comedian not an attorney general. Whatever he does in his private life, doesn't really matter.

I don't see the difference. How does an attorney general's private life affect his/her job performance?

Guest Speed Racer

How does an attorney general's private life affect his/her job performance?

If an Attorney General had an affair with someone in his or her office (or not even IN the office, but you know what I mean), people would be hounding for information about whether taxpayer money was used in any way to facilitate the affair. And his or her career would be ruined. Moral figure, blah blah blah. Letterman sleeps with someone else, and the only people that should care if Late Show money was used are CBS and Late Show staff.

edit: I don't necessarily agree with that analogy. If MN's attorney general was boinking her brother-in-law, I don't think I'd give a flip so long as she never used taxpayer money. She's kind of homely, though, so I don't know that that's an issue.

I think you’ve just described humor’s origin – defusing an uncomfortable situation by getting others to laugh, often at your own expense.

I don't see the difference. How does an attorney general's private life affect his/her job performance?

Given that an Attorney General holds an incredible amount of power, and the job often requires us to trust them, having an affair, to me, suggests that they’re not entirely trustable – and if they’re willing to lie to their spouse, children, friends and family, assuming they keep it a secret, for me, it reflects poorly on their ability to perform their job, which often depends upon their ability to remain honest and trustworthy – imo.

I didn't make myself clear. I personally don't care about anybody's personal life when it come to their job (of course there are some limitations, such as murder and such). I was referring to Eliot Spitzer. The main thing that upset me about Spitzer's adultery is that he went after prostitution rings and got himself real high on the success of that. That's not right.

Letterman's not laying down the moral code, he's making us laugh. There's a difference.

We've all done things we regret, so I'm not really getting on Letterman for what he did...although I think it sheds very bad light on his character, especially if these affairs happened since he got married.

Letterman has constantly gone after Bill Clinton for his affairs. He was having a field day with Sanford. Will Letterman be able to tell such jokes in the future? It WILL be different now that we know all this.

Oh well....I don't watch the grumpy, unfunny, philandering guy anymore anyway.

Guest Speed Racer

especially if these affairs happened since he got married

Still unclear why you keep making this distinction. They were together since 1986, married in March 2009. How is it worse in April 2009 than February 2009 or August 1998? Is it not wrong to cheat on a long-term girlfriend? Would she feel less pain?

Letterman has constantly gone after Bill Clinton for his affairs. He was having a field day with Sanford. Will Letterman be able to tell such jokes in the future? It WILL be different now that we know all this.

It'll probably be a hell of a lot funnier, in fact, if he inserts some self-depricating humor.

Knowing Letterman, he'll keep telling such jokes, but now they'll have a self-referential twist.

Maybe thirty years ago this would have been a fatal blow to Dave's television career, but I doubt it'll affect him greatly after the initial rush of publicity fades. I was sad to hear about the situation, but I can't say I'm ever surprised anymore to learn about such things.

Guest Speed Racer

What goes on between 2 consenting adults is no one else's business.

When one or both people are in committed relationships with people who are under the impression that their sexual relationship with their partner is monogamous, it is ABSOLUTELY their partner's business. Period. Sexual Health 101.

edited to add: I also believe that's the case outside of the health and safety side to it: people who believe they are in a monogomous relationship absolutely have a right to know that that is not the case.

When one or both people are in committed relationships with people who are under the impression that their sexual relationship with their partner is monogamous, it is ABSOLUTELY their partner's business. Period. Sexual Health 101.

And if the two consenting adults happen to be father and daughter, it's EVERYONE's business. Or at the very least Oprah's audience's business. ;)

Guest Speed Racer

And if the two consenting adults happen to be father and daughter, it's EVERYONE's business. Or at the very least Oprah's audience's business. ;)

Thanks for clarifying! I always leave stuff out...

Still unclear why you keep making this distinction. They were together since 1986, married in March 2009. How is it worse in April 2009 than February 2009 or August 1998? Is it not wrong to cheat on a long-term girlfriend? Would she feel less pain?

It'll probably be a hell of a lot funnier, in fact, if he inserts some self-depricating humor.

I was never clear on Letterman's personal life. I always thought that, after his first marriage and divorce, he just kinda played the field. I know he's had a long-time girlfriend, but I thought that was always on and off. Maybe his office flings were done at times when he was on the outs with his girlfriend. Maybe he and his girlfriend agreed to be able to see others. I don't knonw nor do I care.

You're right, whether he was seriously dating somone or married, makes no difference....cheating on that person is wrong and the woman would every right to be pissed and to dump his ass. I'm just not sure how serious he was with his girlfriend on a consistent basis.

Yeah, it COULD be funnier in the future...assuming this doesn't unravel into something worse.

Guest Speed Racer

Perhaps he was thoughtful enough to wrap the rascal.

That's no excuse. As far as I'm concerned, there are NO exceptions to the rule - I honestly don't care if he was wearing a haz-mat suit.

Maybe his office flings were done at times when he was on the outs with his girlfriend. Maybe he and his girlfriend agreed to be able to see others.

This is the first thing I thought of, too. Maybe his arrangement with the girlfriend/now wife was "open" to an extent. I assumed the "affairs" came from the other side (the women he's slept with being married). Again, who knows. I'm glad he threw some humor into it as he's done the same to others caught up in these things.

Guest Speed Racer

Again, who knows.

Reading the articles covering the story, his quotes from the monologue indicate that his wife did not know prior to this, and was rather upset at the news.

You know, I'm not an overly intelligent person, but I do think I'm a decent read on people. For example, not so shocked when I heard about John Edwards. And I wouldn't be shocked by anything Tom Cruise does. Some people just give off the vibe. David Letterman also gave me that vibe and the way he handled last night (almost trying to come off as a victim or that it was all some funny joke) was sad. I'm sure your family thinks your behavior is hilarious. Anyway, another side note. I had read on the internet that this was going down about an hour before the show. So I knew he was going to confess to all of this. To watch him do his monologue and make a joke about Wall Street guys being weasels was priceless. Glass houses buddy.

Reading the articles covering the story, his quotes from the monologue indicate that his wife did not know prior to this, and was rather upset at the news.

Ah, didn't read the article, just saw a clip on the news at 5:30 this morning. Wonder if she caught last night's show....