Anybody watching?

My initial reaction to what I've seen so far is that it kinda sucks. But I remember last year starting off the same way.

Kristin Wiig is still the best, in my opinion. Sanberg's digital short/song was really funny last weekend. The chubby African-American guy (forget his name) always seems to play a hip-hop-talking character that is never funny. Seth Meyers' jokes have been pretty funny, but he still annoys me somehow.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

Has this show been funny at ALL since around 1992 or so?

Last year's election coverage was simply amazing. Not only was it hilarious, but no one will ever, EVER top Amy Poehler's feat of filming an entire show (including a rap/dance number) on the eve of the birth of her first kid. Nine months pregnant, rapping and dancing and generally kicking ass.

But that was the exception to your well-put rule.

Finally stopped recording it. Yes, there were great moments last year, but we couldn't make it even partway through either of the first two eps this season. I mean, they have the whole freakin' summer to write the first episode, so it should at least have something memorable. But it started out shitty and went downhill.

Buh bye, SNL.

The chubby African-American guy (forget his name) always seems to play a hip-hop-talking character that is never funny.

Keenan Thompson? His bits are about the only reason I watch. I love the French Def Jam comic. The opener, with U2 and that Maxim magazine girl hosting had exactly zero laughs outside of Thompson.

I cannot stand Andy Samberg's digital shorts. The only one I ever thought was funny was "Lazy Sunday!" Samberg is the same in every skit, he just makes ridiculous faces and uses annoying voices. And Keenan Thompson is only good when he's playing Whoopi Goldberg or Bill Cosby, other then that- to me he is simply never funny. I really miss Tina Fey as head writer... I don't care for Seth Meyers at all. I just can’t even watch weekend update anymore. :no

Keenan Thompson? His bits are about the only reason I watch. I love the French Def Jam comic. The opener, with U2 and that Maxim magazine girl hosting had exactly zero laughs outside of Thompson.

Wow! Couldn't disagree more. I find Thompson's skits to be almost-always HORRIBLE and unfunny.

I think 84-85 is my favorite season, with Martin Short, Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, & Rich Hall - they were only in the cast for that season.

Lots of great short films in that year: The synchronized swimmers, Short as long-lost relative of Katherine Hepburn as hotdog vendor, the guy who glued the automatic-door-opener-mat to the bottom of his shoes, Short as the paranoid lawyer on 60 minutes...

Wow! Couldn't disagree more. I find Thompson's skits to be almost-always HORRIBLE and unfunny.

I can understand - I just find him lovable, like he doesn't take the whole thing too seriously. Kristin Wiig, while talented, I can picture in her dressing room staring at herself in the mirror repeating "you're funny...you're funny..." :lol I don't even know what I mean.

I cannot stand Andy Samberg's digital shorts. The only one I ever thought was funny was "Lazy Sunday!" Samberg is the same in every skit, he just makes ridiculous faces and uses annoying voices. And Keenan Thompson is only good when he's playing Whoopi Goldberg or Bill Cosby, other then that- to me he is simply never funny. I really miss Tina Fey as head writer... I don't care for Seth Meyers at all. I just can’t even watch weekend update anymore. :no

Samberg hits every so often. Last Saturday's was silly but funny.

Right on about Thompson. Tina Fey was a big talent and will be missed. I don't care for Meyers either.

The political and topical skits is what keeps many folks interested in SNL. Obama's skit last week was great.

I think 84-85 is my favorite season, with Martin Short, Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, & Rich Hall - they were only in the cast for that season.

Lots of great short films in that year: The synchronized swimmers, Short as long-lost relative of Katherine Hepburn as hotdog vendor, the guy who glued the automatic-door-opener-mat to the bottom of his shoes, Short as the paranoid lawyer on 60 minutes...

That was the Dream Team year.

Yes. I just had to go look up that cast. Lots of good people in there, actually: Nora Dunn, Dennis Miller, Jon Lovitz, and A. Whitney Brown and Al Franken appeared regularly on Weekend Update. So what was the point of bringing in that other crowd? Ouch.

Hearing old dudes talk about SNL makes me sad. Is Jim John Belushi running around in a bee costume really more funny than "Lazy Sunday", "Dick In A Box", or Tina Fey's Sarah Pallin impression?

No. Not at all. :realmad

Lorne Michaels left the show after 5 years (which I think is when most of the original cast left as well), and then Dick Ebersol took over. He left after the 84-85 season, and the whole cast was sacked/left with him as well. Lorne Michaels took over again with a new cast, and he's been in charge ever since.

Hearing old dudes talk about SNL makes me sad. Is Jim Belushi running around in a bee costume really more funny than "Lazy Sunday", "Dick In A Box", or Tina Fey's Sarah Pallin impression?

It was John Belushi. And yes, it was funnier.

Hearing old dudes talk about SNL makes me sad. Is Jim Belushi running around in a bee costume really more funny than "Lazy Sunday", "Dick In A Box", or Tina Fey's Sarah Pallin impression?

Good point. But anyone who doesn't see a lack of talent on the cast lately is dilusional.

Obviously, it would be ridiculous to expect talent like Will Ferrel or Dana Carvey every year. But I think even Chris Kattan or Jim Brewer made me want to tune in to SNL more than any of the male cast members today do. The news, with David Spade or Dennis Miller or Norm MacDonald always had an edge an excitement to it. Seth Meyers is yawnsville.

Jason Sudekis is a good "every man" to play many roles. But there will NEVER be another Phil Hartman. Hartman may be the best cast member ever because of his versatility and ability to elevate every sketch.

Guest Speed Racer

But I think even Chris Kattan or Jim Brewer made me want to tune in to SNL more than any of the male cast members today do.

Back in my teenage years, either of those cast members were a guaranteed channel change for me. HORRIBLE, both of them. There are not strong enough words for how awful their "acting" and "comedy" were.

I am now getting e-mails from Denny Dillon.

Good point. But anyone who doesn't see a lack of talent on the cast lately is dilusional.

Obviously, it would be ridiculous to expect talent like Will Ferrel or Dana Carvey every year. But I think even Chris Kattan or Jim Brewer made me want to tune in to SNL more than any of the male cast members today do. The news, with David Spade or Dennis Miller or Norm MacDonald always had an edge an excitement to it. Seth Meyers is yawnsville.

Jason Sudekis is a good "every man" to play many roles. But there will NEVER be another Phil Hartman. Hartman may be the best cast member ever because of his versatility and ability to elevate every sketch.

No but I was just saying, SNL has always had its funny bits and it's duds. I just don't find coked out John Belushi to be any funnier than Andy Samberg.