Bill Hader's impersonation of the death obsessed 20/20 guy (or whatver show that is) is consistently funny.

The best sketch they've done in the last few seasons was probably when Keenan Thompson/Tracy Morgan were prisoners and visited a classroom to scared the kids straight.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Topical comedy should always be judged by when it was new, and fresh. Belushi in the bee costume was funny because the entire country at the time was high on cocaine (fact - look it up).

I've always tried to figure out why some comedy ages well, and others don't...

Belushi in a bee costume must have been funny when it happened. I'm convinced of that. But it's not funny anymore. Watching most of those not-ready-for-primetime-players skits is brutal. Were the coneheads funny? Were the Bigbutts? Were Lisa and Todd? Father Guido Sarducci is still funny, I think...

Fawlty Towers is still funny, and I think I would enjoy M*A*S*H if it wasn't for the awful laff track. I still giggle at Monty Python's Flying Circus.

WC Fields, Buster Keaton, Laurel & Hardy, and the Marx Bros are funny, but Charlie Chaplin isn't (anymore?).

Good point. But anyone who doesn't see a lack of talent on the cast lately is dilusional.

The cast has some talent. The current crop of writers are doing extra sucky work. SNL has gone through ups and downs before, and good writing is always what brings it back.

Well, it's a cautionary tale about what can happen after you spend a brief time on Saturday Night Live after a bit part in Saturday Night Fever. (You become an artist-in-residence at a small community college in upstate New York and start e-mailing strange editors.) It's weird, because we were just having a discussion about the "Altered Walter" sketch, in which she played Cronkite's wife. "Only do half!"

I can second Sir Stewart's account of the 1970s. My parents used to let me do blow with them and stay up late on Saturday nights.

I'm not an old dude, and I agree with this statement. Nothing can top the SNL of those days.. The Chris Farley days come close though..

You're agreeing with me (thanks) but I have to disagree about Farley. Untalented, unfunny, total disaster.

Kristin Wiig, while talented, I can picture in her dressing room staring at herself in the mirror repeating "you're funny...you're funny..." :lol I don't even know what I mean.

I think I know what you mean. But - while Fey's 'already legendary' Palin bit was a definite highlight of the campaign season SNL, if I am Wiig I would keep the Michelle Bachman character nearby. She could go almost ANYWHERE with that bit - the woman herself is so damn far-out. It could be GOLD.

Topical comedy should always be judged by when it was new, and fresh. Belushi in the bee costume was funny because the entire country at the time was high on cocaine (fact - look it up).

I don't know about cocaine (I was in HS so I couldn't afford that shit) but there was a definite period from the original cast years up through the Dream Team year where, more often than not, our little gang of misfits would be dosed up on Saturday nights, and if we were anywhere near a TV set we would watch SNL. So of course it was funny.

I mean, take Steve Martin, for example. I loved his standup comedy back in the late '70s but it doesn't really stand the test of time for me. I do think the drug culture played a large part in the success of the early SNL and folks like Martin.

Theodoric of York was the shit, as were the episodes when they had Monty Python dudes on.

But there will NEVER be another Phil Hartman. Hartman may be the best cast member ever because of his versatility and ability to elevate every sketch.

That's the gospel right there.

With the over-saturation of entertainment mediums these days nobody is given time to hone their talents anymore. Singers, comics, hell, even pro wrestlers are just put on stage well before the age of 25 and are expected to excel at the get-go. Used to be performers would work their respective circuits, developing characters, timing, etc. and weren't put near center stage (unless they were there to support an established talent) until they were well versed in their craft. Most of the great SNL'ers, singers, bands, wrestlers, actors and comics didn't hit until around the age of 30 - usually a little older - because by then they had a decade or more of experience of what works, what doesn't, and how to connect with an audience. They knew how to perform at the highest level, and that's why they were hits "right away." If SNL wants to put on truly good shows, perhaps they should find performers who've been trained in their craft many times over instead of putting performers out there who may be "the next big thing." Eventually it would be easier to market a truly entertaining program rather than pushing a name or two and banking on it, especially if those names don't pan out to be what the network thought they'd be. Their reputation for funny can't last but for so long if they keep doing shows without creativity with some depth.

You're agreeing with me (thanks) but I have to disagree about Farley. Untalented, unfunny, total disaster.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that about him. I'd say that Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Tim Meadows, and Chris Rock were great together.

I began watching Saturday Night Live the year it came on - and I'd say most all of that stuff went over my head. I was only 9 years old. People always go on about the original cast, but, I think there have been groups of people since then who were just as good.

Matt Foley

Matt Foley Halloween episode

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that about him. I'd say that Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Tim Meadows, and Chris Rock were great together.

I began watching Saturday Night Live the year it came on - and I'd say most all of that stuff went over my head. I was only 9 years old. People always go on about the original cast, but, I think there have been groups of people since then who were just as good.

Matt Foley

Matt Foley Halloween episode

Agreed.

If you look at entire episodes from the early seasons there were many bad sketches but some great one too. Land Shark, Lubners, Rosannadanna, Cheeburger, two wild and crazy guys, wheaties (Bulushi running with the flag)

So far this year #1 episode was bad #2 was getting a little better.

In this era of too much everything, I have to give props to SNL for remaining relevant enough to be discussed as much as it is. It could easily have gone the way of MADtv, Fridays, etc. by this point. But Lorne Michaels has some kind of foresight (or staff) that manages to grasp onto cultural significance. Even if the discussion is 'SNL sucks now' it means people are still watching. And, 'SNL sucks now' was probably first uttered halfway through the first season.

I can't stand Adam Sandler.

Maybe more a jealousy thing; he's getting rich doing the same things that I got in trouble for in 7th and 8th grade.

But there will NEVER be another Phil Hartman. Hartman may be the best cast member ever because of his versatility and ability to elevate every sketch.

I agree mostly - altho his caveman lawyer sketches were as unfunny as anything mentioned so far in this thread.

Jim Brewer - If you need someone to make a drunken frat guy face then he's your go-to guy. otherwise...

It's just a half hour Weekend Update (live, I think). Not a success, as the commercial breaks kill the momentum.

I have not really watched it. I just watch The Office on Thursday nights, the others shows on that night don't appeal to me all that much.