• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Runaway Jim

YES, I feel sorry as well.. Chris was a major part of my teen years. I still crack his jokes on a daily bases. The other day I said to my wife "shut up Richard!".

Fuck yeah. That's awesome.

I've probably said "I think I'm gonna like housesitting" more than any other person ever. And I'm laughing now, just typing it.

Oh, I don't think she's got anything that insider. If that's the same movie I'm thinking of, I believe ms yvon was a production assistant or some such. We can send out a bat-signal and see if she pops in here.

I've heard David Spade speak in interviews about his relationship with Chris Farley, and all his stories basically come down to: he was a great guy, but every single thing he did, every choice he made, was a huge red flag. The way he ate, the way he partied, whatever, you couldn't help but look at him and think, that guy is trying to kill himself.

Very sad.

Guest Runaway Jim

The idea of him trying to kill himself is touched upon in the biography. Some feel he was, other's adamantly deny it. His on-again, off-again girlfriend eluded to his having told her that he wanted to die, but didn't come right out and say it. Certainly his behavior backs up the theory.

His story really is very sad. It seems he never saw himself as others saw him, and he was deeply affected by this. People thought he was hilarious and as kind as could be. He thought people thought it was just hilarious to watch a fat guy fall down. Topple on the fact that alcoholism ran in his blood and his father was a supreme enabler, and you spell trouble.

I recommend anyone interested in his life read that book. It's very touching.

OK, I'm going to come right out and say I don't get the humor in "Gilly".

This is one of those typical SNL one-note sketches that has moderate appeal--and laughs--the first time around, but should never be repeated, ever! Of course SNL loves to resurrect these so-so bits over and over again, because, let's face it, they don't have much to work with.

I must admit I find a few of Kristen Wigg's characters to be grating and not all that funny. I sure miss Amy Poehler...

I must admit I find a few of Kristen Wigg's characters to be grating and not all that funny. I sure miss Amy Poehler...

Different strokes for different folks.

Wiig reminds me a lot of Carol Burnett in the way she does her characters. They're usually very relatable, but in a very funny and exaggerated way.

Farley's Matt Foley: Motivational Speaker bit, may be the funniest I have seen on SNL. I loved Farley.

Again, another SNL comic who gets mixed reactions.

I agreee....Farley was great and made me laugh. Any skit with him and Spade and/or Sandler was worth watching if for nothing else to see how long the skit could before one would start cracking up.

The skit where Spade, Farley and Sandler played snobby teen-age girls working at The Gap is one of my favorite Farley memories.

There was one skit, two weeks back, that was probably the best thing I'd seen on SNL in years. Jason Sudeikis plays a southern gentelman, dressed in a plaid-ish suit sporting a gray wig and goatee looking and sounding vaguely like Col. Harland Sanders. He in the middle of an interview at the Johnson Space Center circa 1970 something. He sits across a desk from Will Forte who is conducting the interview. Forte wears a stringy wig and short sleeved button down shirt, pens in the breast pocket. The office is wood paneled and there's a window behind Forte. There's a bowl of potato chips on the desk, and as Forte's character is called away outside the office he implores Sudeikis' character not to touch the potato chips.

What follows is accusatorial, frenetic, a little gross and plenty funny. It had the feel of the imaginative work from the early days of the show.

I wish they'd do more adventurist/off beat stuff like that instead of revisiting the same old tired characters week after week.

Probably one of the funniest off beat sketch I have seen in a loooong time. I quote it all the time. People around me have no idea what it is I'm talking about but laugh nonetheless because it is that funny. "Your potato chips are safe in my presence..." really good stuff!

I don't get Gilly but the dance she put on for the intro last night was classic. I had to rewind it several times to catch all her moves - hilarious! Also, in the gospel ending was that Jane Du'Bois from Good Times singing at the end? It looked like her a lot. If it was she hasn't aged a day!!!

And also in the snippits from last night the best claymation special "Christmastime for the Jews"!!! Really funny.

"I will collect my hemmoroid pillow and bid you adieu!!"

• 10 months later...