• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

I have. I'm not the only one, by a long shot.

Chris Farley was a lot like the drunk guy at a wedding who had the capacity to be funny when sober, but is too gone at the reception to get anything right.

I can't stand Adam Sandler.

Maybe more a jealousy thing; he's getting rich doing the same things that I got in trouble for in 7th and 8th grade.

The only thing worse than that is living through 7th and 8th grade when Adam Sandler's movies were popular. Totally unfunny 7th/8th grade boys completely void of talent, timing or any sense of decency whatsoever trying to do Adam Sandler impressions. Living. Hell.

Adam Sandler was someone I found terribly unfunny both on SNL and with his followup comedy albums and hit movies (he was everywhere and it wasn't just 13 year-olds quoting him, Speed Racer, it was college kids too). I wanted to punch his face. Now I like him. I think Barry Egan changed that.

punch_drunk_love_3.jpg

Adam Sandler was someone I found terribly unfunny both on SNL and with his followup comedy albums and hit movies (he was everywhere and it wasn't just 13 year-olds quoting him, Speed Racer, it was college kids too). I wanted to punch his face. Now I like him. I think Barry Egan changed that.

He used to make me chuckle on MTV's Remote Control.

Guest Speed Racer

it wasn't just 13 year-olds quoting him, Speed Racer, it was college kids too

Oh, I know that (those 7th/8th grade boys did eventually grow up, and still thought Happy Gilmore was funny). But 7th/8th grade boys have even less tact and timing than college boys (which is certainly saying something).

I think SNL is pretty bad these days, but I actually think the cast is decent--it's the writers that need serious help. And I can't explain it, but Bill Hader cracks me up no matter what he's doing. He's an unacknowledged bright spot.

That Italian talk show host is a great character.

The Italian talk show is easily the funniest recurring bit they've had in years. The one with Bon Jovi stacks up with anything SNL has ever done.

I generally think the cast they have right now is actually really funny, but the writing is not so great. Armisen, Hader, Sudekis, Forte, and Wiig are all great when given good material, and Kenan Thompson has his moments. I like his French Def Jam comic, and the bit he did with the sexual instruction video was pretty funny (although I wish I hadn't been watching it with my parents).

You're agreeing with me (thanks) but I have to disagree about Farley. Untalented, unfunny, total disaster.

Yeah, I've never heard anyone say this about Farley either. The whole point that he was a total disaster made him funny. C'mon, Tommy Boy, Black Sheep, brilliant comedy...

Hello Washington!!

Guest Speed Racer

Fans of Armisen who don't care too much for his SNL stuff should check out Thunderant, his comedy series with Carrie Brownstein (formerly of Sleater-Kinney). The Perfect Songand One Man Show are hilarious and Pet Haven isn't bad either.

The whole point that he was a total disaster made him funny an obnoxious screen-hog.

Never liked him; I thought I would grow into it, but the only thing worse than Farley in Black Sheep and Tommy Boy was David Spade.

Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy is one of the most divisive topics in our house. Religion and politics, fine, but don't start a discussion on the artistic merits of Tommy Boy at Thanksgiving dinner!

• 2 months later...

The past few shows have been pretty good overall. Hader and Forte are very talented and funny. And Keenan Thompson, who I'm not usually a fan of, has done some really funny stuff lately....I love his talk-show host who keeps breaking into song, while shunning whatever guest is on.

And anyone see Kristin Wiig (she's so great) this past weekend? She played her character that isn't good at keeping secrets....hysterical!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/clips/surprise/1184650/

NOTE: Saturday Night Live will have a 2-hour Christmas special Thursday night, with Kristin Wiig's Gilly character as host. Apparently Gilly will be featured in a couple new skits, along with classic SNL Christmas skits.

There was one skit, two weeks back, that was probably the best thing I'd seen on SNL in years. Jason Sudeikis plays a southern gentelman, dressed in a plaid-ish suit sporting a gray wig and goatee looking and sounding vaguely like Col. Harland Sanders. He in the middle of an interview at the Johnson Space Center circa 1970 something. He sits across a desk from Will Forte who is conducting the interview. Forte wears a stringy wig and short sleeved button down shirt, pens in the breast pocket. The office is wood paneled and there's a window behind Forte. There's a bowl of potato chips on the desk, and as Forte's character is called away outside the office he implores Sudeikis' character not to touch the potato chips.

What follows is accusatorial, frenetic, a little gross and plenty funny. It had the feel of the imaginative work from the early days of the show.

I wish they'd do more adventurist/off beat stuff like that instead of revisiting the same old tired characters week after week.

I wish they'd do more adventurist/off beat stuff like that instead of revisiting the same old tired characters week after week.

I agree. Though Wiig's characters are SO good. I'm not bothered by repeating her characters.

I didn't see the potato chip skit, but sounds funny.

A few weeks back Hader played Dr. Jeckyll/Mr. Hyde. It's shot in b/w and he's giving a lecture. He explains that when he takes a certain potion, he transforms into someone who likes making out with other guys and asks for more funding to do more "research". It's very clear to the viewer that Jeckylly is gay and is using his Dr. Hyde transformation as a reason to like ohter men. Later in the sketch Armisen walks in asking if Hader's ready to go out to the club....Armisen talks very "fancy" and it's obvious he's Hader's lover. Of course, Hader tries to hide that from the male intellectuals recieving the lecture. It was very well done.

Guest Runaway Jim

Chris Farley is hands down the funniest player ever to appear on SNL. And Tommy Boy and Black Sheep are just simply classic. Hilarious from start to finish.

I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't find him funny.

Guest Speed Racer

:wave

Watching Chris Farley before his death gave me the same eeky feeling as listening to Elliott Smith bootlegs in 2003. Whatever talent Chris had was completely overshadowed, to me, by the blatant impending doom.

Chris Farley is hands down the funniest player ever to appear on SNL. And Tommy Boy and Black Sheep are just simply classic. Hilarious from start to finish.

This movie is the bees knees

almost-heroes.jpg

--Mike

Guest Runaway Jim

I will say that I haven't watched anything with him in it - SNL or movie - since I read the biography his brother wrote/compiled about him. That book was incredibly sad, and I admit that I might have a hard time laughing at him during the Chippendales skit now that I've read Chris Rock say that that skit was the spark that ignited the fire that was his downfall. But to me, that guy was was funnier than just a fat guy falling down.

YES, I feel sorry as well.. Chris was a major part of my teen years. I still crack his jokes on a daily bases. The other day I said to my wife "shut up Richard!".