• 2 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with the general consensus. Having given it a few listens I am loving it. Much more consistant than 'Hombre' with a more varied sound, if that makes sense. Would love to see him back out on the road and hiting the U.K where he is much loved.

On a related issue, I was browsing the 'Pitchfork' website the other day and...they really don't like the Eels do they!!. 'Shootenanny' got two out of ten and Hombre Lobo got a right slating as well. Whats not to love about the Eels!?!

Whats not to love about the Eels!?!

I happen to dig the band, but I can understand why someone wouldn't. As I said above, there's very little subtlety to the lyrics -- even if there's some great lyrics and one-liners. And musically, there's not much complexity and some of the songs can end up sounding samey. These are all issues that I can get past because there are other virtues (for me) that make up for it. But it wouldn't surprise me if someone couldn't.

As for End Times, I agree with what everyone here is saying. The song Nowadays inspired me to pull out my guitar and harmonica. Some bands make me want to go grab my guitar. This band is one of them.

I happen to dig the band, but I can understand why someone wouldn't. As I said above, there's very little subtlety to the lyrics -- even if there's some great lyrics and one-liners. And musically, there's not much complexity and some of the songs can end up sounding samey. These are all issues that I can get past because there are other virtues (for me) that make up for it. But it wouldn't surprise me if someone couldn't.

As for End Times, I agree with what everyone here is saying. The song Nowadays inspired me to pull out my guitar and harmonica. Some bands make me want to go grab my guitar. This band is one of them.

I can see why people don't like the Eels. I agree that the lyrics are sometimes simplistic and almost child-like. It is simple music that gets to the point. I was just laughing at how negative that particular website were towards Mr. E.

Incidently, my children, who are three and five, love the Eels, especially 'Hey Man, 'Souljacker 1', 'Dog Faced Boy' and 'Last Stop This Town'. I haven't played them 'Its a Motherf$%^&r', 'World of S%^t' or the wonderful 'F%^&er' yet. The wife would kill me!

I agree that the lyrics are sometimes simplistic and almost child-like.

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest simplistic or child-like at all. Just that he doesn't leave much to the imagination. He's very literal. Nothing wrong with it. These are hardly childish themes he's dealing with.

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest simplistic or child-like at all. Just that he doesn't leave much to the imagination. He's very literal. Nothing wrong with it. These are hardly childish themes he's dealing with.

I think we're on the same wave length, just expressing it differently. In terms of leaving nothing for the imagination I can't think of any album that does that as well as 'electro-Shock Blues'. That's an amazing album and one that I actually find uplifting.

yeah. at times it is like he is rewriting the same song over and over.

the first few songs he previewed - one about birds / lines - sounded a lot like stuff he had done

many times before.

i'm wondering if the bonus disc version (extra cd with 4 songs) will be in stores like Best Buy/Hasting's?

i got a feeling they'll have the normal real cheap - probably $7.99 - but they either won't

have the bonus disc or it won't be on sale at all.

It's January 15th and I guarantee it's on my top 5 for the year. Hell, hope it isn't. If there is 5 albums better than this in 2010, it will be a damn good year.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I just finished reading Things The Grandchildren Should Know over the holidays. That's a great book, very readable and honestly written too.

That's one of the best memoirs I have ever read, and probably one of the best music books, too.

That's one of the best memoirs I have ever read, and probably one of the best music books, too.

It is a really good read, especially for an autobiography. I've got to check the new album out. I was lukewarm about Hombre Lobo.

I assume a tour will follow, although I haven't seen anything announced yet. One of the best live shows I've ever seen was Eels with strings, on the Blinking Lights tour. My clothes smelled like E's cigars for awhile after that one. Glad the fire marshall didn't shut it down. Oh, and those lovely string players! and the Chet, you gotta love it when the Chet plays trash can.

Jun18_05_0034a eels1_small.jpg

I saw that End Times will be $7.99 at Best Buy.

The question is - there is also a Deluxe Edition with a bonus 4 song EP - Will this

be in stores like Best Buy, Hasting's, etc?

I just e-mailed their Merch page, so if I get an answer I'll come back.

Will someone with iTunes access check to see if the bonus EP can be purchased seperately please?

I don't use it, but if they can be I will just buy the normal version and know I can purchase those

down the road if I want to.

If you want to see the album pulled apart by angry dogs then I recommend going to the Pichfork website, where they give it 3.9 out of 10. The cool folk over there don't seem to like it.

And MOJO gives it 4 stars and says it's nearly a classic.