Give me your tired, your poor,

From here:

The snow and chilly weather didn't deter people from the prospect of free chicken.

More than 100 people camped outside a new Chick-fil-A restaurant in Fort Collins overnight Thursday for a chance to win a year's worth of free weekly chicken meals.

They huddled around propane heaters supplied by the store and were invited inside for hot chocolate and cookies just before bedding down in sleeping bags and tents.

bilde.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

Chick-Fil-A is all over Florida, where my parents live. Always looked like an unremarkable place to get a lousy chicken sandwich and/or salmonella. Is it any good?

the Young Life tent

ed: well, both, a little. I've heard many people get in a twist about how this chain is closed on Sundays in accordance with the founder's beliefs. I used to work with an attorney who wouldn't eat there because of it.

Chick-Fil-A is all over Florida, where my parents live. Always looked like an unremarkable place to get a lousy chicken sandwich and/or salmonella. Is it any good?

It was one of the few things I missed when I became a vegetarian. even more than bacon.

ed: well, both, a little. I've heard many people get in a twist about how this chain is closed on Sundays in accordance with the founder's beliefs. I used to work with an attorney who wouldn't eat there because of it.

Dang. Refusing to eat somewhere because it's closed on Sundays according to the founder's beliefs seems crazier to me than closing on Sundays according to the founder's beliefs.

There used to be one Chick-fil-A near where I grew up, at a mall about 25 minutes away. Waffle fries! Amen.

You bite your tongue! Nothing could be missed more than bacon.

:lol The last time I was a vegetarian, I missed Wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches more than bacon. And lots of other things too.

Not that I don't looooooooove bacon ... it just didn't top my "miss" list at the time.

Dang. Refusing to eat somewhere because it's closed on Sundays according to the founder's beliefs seems crazier to me than closing on Sundays according to the founder's beliefs.

Yeah. Unless you have a religious belief in the modern expectation of 24 hour convenience or are strictly opposed to religious beliefs have any effect whatsoever on business.

the Young Life tent

Damn, that is crazy. Most locally-owned places around here are closed on Sundays.

Guest Runaway Jim

:lol The last time I was a vegetarian, I missed Wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches more than bacon. And lots of other things too.

Not that I don't looooooooove bacon ... it just didn't top my "miss" list at the time.

I'm sorry, but you are just wrong. :D

Guest Speed Racer

Eh, I get it. I don't shop at or donate to Salvation Army because of their beliefs. There are a lot of other ways for me to help people with my goods and money that don't also hurt certain people.

If someone's beliefs conflict with your own, then it makes sense not to support them with your patronage.

Eh, I get it. I don't shop at or donate to Salvation Army because of their beliefs. There are a lot of other ways for me to help people with my goods and money that don't also hurt certain people.

If someone's beliefs conflict with your own, then it makes sense not to support them with your patronage.

How is closing on Sunday a belief or something to be boycotted?

Guest Speed Racer

How is closing on Sunday a belief or something to be boycotted?

In reference to what PB said, "Dang. Refusing to eat somewhere because it's closed on Sundays according to the founder's beliefs," if you don't believe what the founder believes and don't want to support what the founder believes by rewarding him for his beliefs, then there's that. If, on the other hand, you don't want to support a place that isn't open on Sundays because you believe fantastic chicken should be available to all, seven days a week, then there's that.

In reference to what PB said, "Dang. Refusing to eat somewhere because it's closed on Sundays according to the founder's beliefs," if you don't believe what the founder believes and don't want to support what the founder believes by rewarding him for his beliefs, then there's that. If, on the other hand, you don't want to support a place that isn't open on Sundays because you believe fantastic chicken should be available to all, seven days a week, then there's that.

So, then, this person should actively boycott every business owned by someone with those religious beliefs. Which I doubt is the case. I think the person is just annoyed that he or she can't get a sandwich on Sunday. Which is fine, I guess, but pretty silly.

Especially since I'm pretty sure the official reason is to give the employees a day off to spend with family. Pretty nefarious.

I should clarify: my former co-worker I think had a bigger problem with some of the organizations chik-fil-a promotes/donates to than the simple fact that they're closed on Sundays. Apparently they contribute to Focus on the Family and some other political-leaning groups, etc. that simply piss her off because of their anti-gay, anti-abortion stances...