Give me your tired, your poor,

Guest Speed Racer

So, then, this person should actively boycott every business owned by someone with those religious beliefs.

What Poongoogler said. I think it's more about where the money goes than what the people believe. I know I probably spend a lot of money at places owned by/employing actively conservative and/or homophobic folks, but I am pretty careful about spending at places that donate to FoF-type organizations.

Edit: But if there are people who want to boycott places that close on Sundays, more power to 'em.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The blue laws around alcohol sales from stores are directly tied to religious beliefs but nobody seems to boycott those M-Sat. Maybe they do, I don't know. In CT they used to stop selling at 8 p.,m., too (I beleive it's 10 p.m. now).

I should clarify: my former co-worker I think had a bigger problem with some of the organizations chik-fil-a promotes/donates to than the simple fact that they're closed on Sundays. Apparently they contribute to Focus on the Family and some other political-leaning groups, etc. that simply piss her off because of their anti-gay, anti-abortion stances...

That certainly makes a little more sense. Although, I guess I would need to boycott every band I listen to for supporting Obama in last year's election. The whole boycotting thing seems pointless to me, though.

Guest Speed Racer

The whole boycotting thing seems pointless to me, though.

Then it wouldn't make sense for you to do that. Some people don't want their money to go certain places, and keep tabs on those kinds of things. I totally get both sides of the coin (HA! HA HA!) - it either bothers you or it doesn't.

The blue laws around alcohol sales from stores are directly tied to religious beliefs but nobody seems to boycott those M-Sat. Maybe they do, I don't know. In CT they used to stop selling at 8 p.,m., too (I beleive it's 10 p.m. now).

It's frustrating, or, at least it was in college. I'm pretty sure you can only buy beer or wine on Sundays here, but not until after noon. And seeing liquor in grocery stores or convenience stores in other places around the country is always a shock.

I fully understand choosing not to support a business because they donate money to organizations whose aims are not in accordance with your own views. Poongoogler's clarification makes a lot more sense to me. I do, however, think there are people out there who are annoyed with Christianity in general and would indeed refuse to support a "churchy" company simply because it does something like closing on Sundays. Obviously it's their choice either way.

I don't get too tied up in where the money goes, because I'd be twisting myself in knots. So much corporate money goes to so many organizations and/or causes I abhor. :hmm

That said, I do make a point of never spending a dime on Dominos Pizza, partially because I don't particularly like their pizza, but mostly because their founder and subsequent corporate leaders, and by extension the company itself, are politically active in ways I don't wish to support.

Guest Speed Racer

My sister and I were driving through Georgia on a Sunday morning, a trip from Chicago to Florida, when we stopped at a Cracker Barrel for breakfast. We were the ONLY customers. We hadn't said a damn thing to the waitress when she came up to us and said, "So, y'all ain't from around here, huh?" rather disdainfully.

If I boycotted every business around here because I didn't agree with their beliefs or political stance, I'd probably be rich. Having said that, the Chick-fila Sunday thing does annoy me but doesn't stop me from eating there. Getting lunch there today as a matter of fact. Can taste that chicken sandwich (sans pickles) now...

Right-o. Won't hire them, won't serve them.

So you have to state that you're gay on a job application or announce it when you go in the store? Or am I being too obvious/naive. Seriously though, do they state their disdain of homosexuals in their policies? I really don't know but am very curious now even though I never give them money or donations (do give to Goodwill, though).

Guest Speed Racer

Never applied, so I'm not sure. :lol They certainly won't hire openly gay people, and I'm pretty sure they'll fire you if they find out. They have protection as a religious organization which, if I understand correctly, was a favor granted by Bush in exchange for support of his faith-based initiatives. On the service end, they won't provide money or resources to organization or people who house/are openly gay, etc.

For the most part, all of that is totally their perogative, and that's cool. But I'm not going to give to an organization that wouldn't help me if I were in need.

Edited to add: You can definitely, definitely shop there regardless so far as I'm aware.

Guest Runaway Jim

My grandparents were strongly tied in with the Salvation Army and they were terribly judgemental people. They were also really great people in terms of the service they did for others.

Never applied, so I'm not sure. :lol They certainly won't hire openly gay people, and I'm pretty sure they'll fire you if they find out. They have protection as a religious organization which, if I understand correctly, was a favor granted by Bush in exchange for support of his faith-based initiatives. On the service end, they won't provide money or resources to organization or people who house/are openly gay, etc.

For the most part, all of that is totally their perogative, and that's cool. But I'm not going to give to an organization that wouldn't help me if I were in need.

Edited to add: You can definitely, definitely shop there regardless so far as I'm aware.

Thanks for that. I honestly don't know much at all about that organization and never gave to them but only because I have always hated those bell ringers. :lol I just don't like the begging (for lack of a better term) thrown in my face and much prefer to give to charities as I so desire. But now I have a better reason to continue to ignore them.

To contradict one of my previous posts, I will say there is one local establishment that I won't patronize around here and that's Maurice's BBQ (probably no one outside of the south has heard of it). Maurice is openly racist and provides both religious and white supremacist literature in his stores and I'm not having any of that. A lot of grocery stores declined to stock his products as well.

All I know is it's pretty pathetic to camp out overnight in a blizzard to get the equivalent of $150 worth of chicken metered out weekly over a year.

Ya think so, eh?

Clearly you hate chickens and all their kind.

Thanks for another hate filled, chicken-racist post.