Haiku Contest

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i want that guitar

but you a-holes are too good

damn vc damn you*

*Not actually entered, just how I feel about all you who are entering the contest. That is all, carry on.

Ken's not entitled

to lust after a guitar

which needs to be mine.

:P

I'm going to have my 6th grade english classes submit some for this. Should be interesting since they've never heard of Wilco. I'll play some songs and for them and have them write what comes to mind. It's a combo teachable moment/public service. I'll try to post some of it here later.

I'm going to have my 6th grade english classes submit some for this. Should be interesting since they've never heard of Wilco. I'll play some songs and for them and have them write what comes to mind. It's a combo teachable moment/public service. I'll try to post some of it here later.

What if their entry wins the guitar? Would you tell them or keep the guitar yourself as commission for introducing them to Wilco music?

What if their entry wins the guitar? Would you tell them or keep the guitar yourself as commission for introducing them to Wilco music?

No, I'd gladly hand it over to the winner. The only thing better than me winning the guitar would be for one of them to win it. Mmmm, actually me winning would be better, but one of them getting it would be a close second.

Besides, if this were a ploy to get the guitar I would have just given them an "assignment" and not mentioned the guitar. We did our first attempt on Friday... it did NOT go very well. They weren't into the music at all and they don't get haiku. Hopefully next week will be better.

We did our first attempt on Friday... it did NOT go very well. They weren't into the music at all and they don't get haiku. Hopefully next week will be better.

What song(s) did you play for them? I kind of see a 6th grader responding well to I'm a Wheel for some reason.

I started with ITMWLY. When I mentioned that they did a song for the Spongebob movie they got into that. I'm saving that one for Tues or Weds. 6th graders are very concrete thinkers. When I asked them what it sounds like they said "electric guitar" and "rock." :ohwell We'll get there, you'll see!

This came out quite nicely! Not everyone came up with a haiku, but those who did really nailed it! Here is my emailed submission to Wilcoworld. (Note: I put their names in the email, but have removed them here.)

Kind Sirs and Madames of Wilcoworld,

After finding out about your haiku contest I decided to use this as an opportunity to extend our curriculum and turn it into a class project. Seeing as none of the students had ever heard of Wilco, (they're more into 50 Cent and Slipknot, if that gives you an indication of what I'm up against) it was also an opportunity to expand their horizons a bit. We listened to several songs and wrote specifically about those songs, as well as viewing selected portions of "Ashes of American Flags."

Most of the class was writing down observations and working with vocabulary, while another chunk was actually able to take those observations and turn them into a haiku. Those are the ones I'm submitting here, even if some don't exactly fit the traditional 5-7-5 format. We hope you enjoy them!

Sincerely,

Mr. Kinsley and the students of Room A211, Van Nuys Middle School

P.S. - They are all convinced that I'm going to keep the guitar for myself if one of them wins, so if they do win please send it to Dr. Barner's (the principal) attention, so that she can make sure I don't run off with it in a moment of weakness. ; )

Haikus about songs

Poor Places

I'm looking outside

I hear my father's voice

It was all a dream

Got caught from the cops

Got out one day I was poor

There I see my love

Father, please don't leave

The moon says that you love me

I'm sad without you

The bombs are falling