Most prolific artist of the 00's

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the most prolific rock/pop singer-songwriter of the 00's?

• Jeff Tweedy
    • Jack White
    • Jandek
    • Ryan Adams
    • M. Ward
    • Robert Pollard
    • Other (post the names in this thread)
    • Win Butler

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Runaway Jim

I will definitely be checking out some of Pollards work. I guess I'll start with Bee Thousand since it seems to be the title most often mentioned. Thanks.

I've been a fan of Pollard's songs for fifteen years +. Even though there has been a 'slight' decline in the last few years, almost every record still has 3-5 Pollard gems. As much as B1000, Alien Lanes, UTBUTS are classics in my opinion, it may not be a good launching pad to "get" what's he doing. Some people just can't get past lo-fi and all that tape hiss on Toby's 4-track. I've had much better success with Pollard newbies with a newer selection of tracks, and 'then' having them work there way back if they're still interested. You could also just pick up his first solo record 'From A Compound Eye'(one of the best records of the last decade, or any decade for that matter) or last year's Boston Spaceships record 'Zero to 99', which is really the best thing he's done since FaCE.

I'd also like to echo the love for Dean Wells and 'The Capstan Shafts' as well. There's a 30-song comp here if you're interested.

http://conqueror-of-the-moon.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html

Robert Pollard comp from FaCE thru Zero to 99 here :

http://conqueror-of-the-moon.blogspot.com/2009/08/best-of-robert-pollard-2006-2009.html

the Pollard content helps it rise above the stupid level.

it does?

I think we're forgetting about this one kid named Connor Oberst.

I've been a fan of Pollard's songs for fifteen years +. Even though there has been a 'slight' decline in the last few years, almost every record still has 3-5 Pollard gems. As much as B1000, Alien Lanes, UTBUTS are classics in my opinion, it may not be a good launching pad to "get" what's he doing. Some people just can't get past lo-fi and all that tape hiss on Toby's 4-track. I've had much better success with Pollard newbies with a newer selection of tracks, and 'then' having them work there way back if they're still interested. You could also just pick up his first solo record 'From A Compound Eye'(one of the best records of the last decade, or any decade for that matter) or last year's Boston Spaceships record 'Zero to 99', which is really the best thing he's done since FaCE.

I'd also like to echo the love for Dean Wells and 'The Capstan Shafts' as well. There's a 30-song comp here if you're interested.

http://conqueror-of-...01_archive.html

Robert Pollard comp from FaCE thru Zero to 99 here :

http://conqueror-of-...-2006-2009.html

I think if you don't like "From a compound eye" you may just not like Pollard but I also think Isolation Drills is a good place to start for a newbie. A little more accessible for some people.

It's probably Pollard by a mile, but Will Johnson at least warrants a mention--6 Centro-matic records (and 2 or 3 EPs), 3 South San Gabriel records, 2 solo records and the Molina & Johnson record, not to mention stints behind the drum kit for Monsters of Folk, Patterson Hood and Jay Bennett and Edward Burch.

Thankfully. Very, very thankfully.

but you have to admit that he put a lot of stuff out there in 10 years.

I think Jules is being difficult because his first name is spelled "Conor."

oh shit...SORRY!

Connor Oberst. Bright Eyes? he was pretty damn prolific in the 00's.

Oh the little feminine kid?

I think Jules is being difficult because his first name is spelled "Conor."

I wish I was that clever.

Jules' name is Conor?

Worse.

True, but this is a thread about the most prolific artist of the 00's.

it's a matter of taste. I bet he could go toe to toe with Pollard. but Pollard would probably smash him in the face with a tequila bottle.