Most prolific artist of the 00's

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the most prolific rock/pop singer-songwriter of the 00's?

• Jeff Tweedy
    • Jack White
    • Jandek
    • Ryan Adams
    • M. Ward
    • Robert Pollard
    • Other (post the names in this thread)
    • Win Butler

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

abundantly inventive (one of the definitions of prolific) suggests a qualitative character.

An artist could be prolific in the sense of producing a lot of work, but at the same time NOT prolific if the work was not inventive.

Conversely, an artist could be prolific with one album, if that album showed an abundance of inventiveness, and at the same time NOT prolific if that was his only work in 20 years.

The actual definition to which you refer contains the phrase "marked by abundant inventiveness or productivity ." The issue here is the word "inventiveness," which you are interpreting as a qualitative measure. Rather, in this context it is still a measure of quantity: the invention of many things. Similarly, "creativity" is usually assumed to denote a measure of quality, but in this context it means the creation of many things.

Before you accuse me of twisting the definitions of these words to suit my purpose, try this aggregated collection of dictionary definitions for "prolific" and see if you can find anything that speaks to quality rather than quantity:

http://www.onelook.com/?w=prolific&ls=a

No really, click through all of those definitions. I'll wait.

The first of those links includes a definition with this phrase: "very productive, in an intellectual sense." If you keep clicking through the links, it will become clear that the meaning concerns quantity of work, not quality: "Producing abundant works or results," for example, and "producing ideas or works frequently and in large quantities." Nowhere do these definitions allude to quality. The use of the word "inventiveness" in the Merriam-Webster definition, in this case, has only clouded the issue, because these days we automatically assume that "inventive" is a qualitative assessment rather than a quantitative one. It doesn't take a lot of further investigation of its context within the definition of "prolific" to confirm that this is not the case.

An apple tree that produces inedible apples is not abundantly productive, therefore not prolific.

So, when applied to music, an artist that produces bad music (subjective as it may be) is not abundantly productive, therefore not prolific.

It's that simple TO ME. Yet you all continue to tell me I'm wrong. And the only explaination offered up as to my being wrong is either that I'm just wrong or that blue does not equal orange.

It may be that simple to you, but it's also wrong. You simply misunderstand what the word means. It's OK -- you're not alone, obviously.

I hated GBV for a long time and all I had was B000. It was equal parts B000 and the insufferable Pollardites. I do love it now, but Alien Lanes is what made GBV/Pollard click for me. Specifically, As We Go Up, We Go Down.

And yes, From a Compound Eye is the shiznit. Look it up.

Guest Runaway Jim

It may be that simple to you, but it's also wrong. You simply misunderstand what the word means. It's OK -- you're not alone, obviously.

I just disagree with you. And obviously, others do too. I don't consider your opinion to be the end-all, be-all on the matter, but it seems you do, which is thick-headed and just kind of assey.

I'm glad it's become so important to you to continually tell me I am wrong. But I'm not.

And again, thanks everyone for the GBV recommendations. It's pay day and I play to stop and try to find one or two of their records and give them a shot.

I just disagree with you. And obviously, others do too. I don't consider your opinion to be the end-all, be-all on the matter, but it seems you do, which is thick-headed and just kind of assey.

I'm glad it's become so important to you to continually tell me I am wrong. But I'm not.

You are wrong. This is not a matter of opinion. You are desperately willing something to be true that simply isn't.

And now you're insulting me. All I ever did was say you're wrong, which is a perfectly civilized thing to do. I may have been terse, but I have not insulted you, questioned your intelligence, etc. -- I've merely stated that you are incorrect. You're the one who decided to take that extra step into nastiness, so, have fun with that.

And you're still wrong. I am not expressing my "opinion." I am stating fact. If you don't like facts, I don't really know what else to say.