If I don't hit my alarm clock before the second ring, I am either anesthetized or dead. If no alarm is set, I will wake up just past 7am, unless I've gone to bed later than 2am.

I've had that internal alarm clock also, it's somehow miraculously woken me up on a dime when my real alarm clock has failed. Like literally the minute that the real alarm clock would have gone off.

And whatever thing in my subconscious that's keeping track of the time somehow knows to not ever bother doing this on a weekend, when I'll sleep until 10 am or so.

I WISH!

It's actually something fairly close to this:

Clock.jpg

I'd post a pic of my actual clock, but I only have Polaroids.

you should have heard (and probably did) my grandfather's wind-up alarm clock when i was a kid - it used to wake up the whole street - apart from him!

Guest Speed Racer

My dad got an alarm clock from his parents when he started law school in 1972, and I used it up through my high school graduation in 2003. It was still working when I surrendered it to the church rummage sale.

So that leads me to believe that either you are a morning person or you are not? Thoughts?

Several years ago, I was talking to a guy who had recently been transferred back to a day shift at the factory where he worked, after 10+ years of working nights. I asked him how long it took him to re-adjust to the day-time schedule, and he said "about 20 minutes". He realized, as soon as he got back on days, that he had not been optimally happy/healthy on the night shift.

I was always a late sleeper as a kid, would happily sleep well into the afternoon, given the chance. Now that I've been working (for several decades now :lol), I tend to get up much earlier, even on weekends. For my mental and physical health, I've been trying to regulate my sleep schedule lately, get to sleep early enough on weekends that it doesn't make me crazy to hear the alarm again on Monday morning. But I do find that if I'm off work for any length of time, I'll start staying up a few minutes later each night, sleeping in a few minutes longer each day. As soon as I retire, it's back to 2am-noon sleep for me!

But I'm definitely a "wake up 1 minute before the alarm goes off" person, for now anyway. Which doesn't mean I don't hit the snooze alarm and just wallow for a few minutes before getting up... And yeah, for those times when I really need to be up (early flights, etc.), I go with the alarm clock + cell phone system.

Guest Speed Racer

for those times when I really need to be up (early flights, etc.), I go with the alarm clock + cell phone system.

For those times when I really need to be up, I sleep so lightly that just about everything wakes me up. For my Christmas flight, where I had to wake up at 4:15 to head to the airport, I woke up every time my refrigerator fan went on (three rooms and a closed door away from me).

I am not an early bird by any means but I don't get the whole Snooze alarm thing. I would just lay there and curse the universe how short 7 minutes is. Or just get back to sleep only to be rudely awoken. I jump up as soon as the alarm goes off. Of course I will probably die of a heart attack someday by doing that.

I am not an early bird by any means but I don't get the whole Snooze alarm thing. I would just lay there and curse the universe how short 7 minutes is. Or just get back to sleep only to be rudely awoken. I jump up as soon as the alarm goes off. Of course I will probably die of a heart attack someday by doing that.

I'm with you, even 10 minutes isn't enough to get any real sleep in. The only snooze button useful to me would be one that could allow me to push it ahead in half-hour or hour increments.

I'm with you, even 10 minutes isn't enough to get any real sleep in. The only snooze button useful to me would be one that could allow me to push it ahead in half-hour or hour increments.

I've got a Sony cd alarm clock which allows the snooze to be pushed up to six times at ten minutes per. I can snooze from in between 10 and 60 minutes. I've had a mixed cd of Wilco's AM and UT's Anodyne in it for quite awhile. Every (late) morning I wake up to Jeff Tweedy chirping, "Hey wake up. Your eyes weren't opened wide."