Best of Westerberg

My apologies if this has been done before (didn't find anything with a (very) quick search)...

Just wondering what you guys think are the best songs/albums from Paul Westerberg (replacements or solo).

Until recently I had only listened to a couple of the replacements "best of" compilations, but I just got my hands on Folker and it sounds great. Looks like he has been very prolific and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks!

If you like "Folker" I'd recommend Stereo/Mono next. Then Come Feel Me Tremble and 49:00. I quite like the introspective Suicainegratification too; 14 Songs and Eventually also have some gems.

For the Replacements stuff, Let It Be, Tim, Pleased to Meet Me and Hootenanny are good starts (roughly in that order.) After that, go for the earlier albums if you're more Punk inclined, or the latter if you prefer singer-songwriter rock.

As for favorite songs, there's too many to list all, but here's a few off the top of the old noggin:

Solo:

It's a Wonderful Lie

Even Here We Are

As Far As I Know

Seein' Her

Got You Down

Crackle & Drag

Mats:

Here Comes a Regular

Unsatisfied

Skyway

Hold My Life

Left of the Dial

Valentine

Alex Chilton

Can't Hardly Wait

Achin' to Be

Answering Machine

Androgynous

Bastards of Young

Sadly Beautiful

Swingin' Party

Color Me Impressed

Solo: Stereo/Mono is his best, hands down. If you like it, Come Feel me Tremble is worth hunting down too. 14 Songs is the best of his 3 major label records. Suicaine is alright...Eventually has it's moments. 49:00 and all of the more recent albums have their moments.

The 'Mats: Let it Be, Tim and Pleased to Meet Me are all classics. Hootenanny is also great record. I don't really listen to the last two albums or the first album and EP anymore.

'I Will Dare' doesn't make your list? :brow

Mats:

Here Comes a Regular

Unsatisfied

Skyway

Hold My Life

Left of the Dial

Valentine

Alex Chilton

Can't Hardly Wait

Achin' to Be

Answering Machine

Androgynous

Bastards of Young

Sadly Beautiful

Swingin' Party

Color Me Impressed

'I Will Dare' doesn't make your list? :brow

Damn, that was a big oversight on my part, though to be fair I wasn't going for a comprehensive list.

Here's a few more that shouldn't be ignored either:

Kiss Me on the Bus

Little Mascara

Never Mind

If Only You Were Lonely

Within' Your Reach

Portland

Talent Show

Waitress in the Sky

GtrPlyr really nailed it. All 'mats journeys must start with the holy trinity, in any order... then you move up or down the catalog, depending on what you like about those middle 3.

And if Folker has made you want to hear more from Westerberg, then Stereo/Mono and Come Feel Me Tremble are the next places to go. S/M is a truly GREAT album and one of my alltime faves - it came at a perfect time in my life (and Westerberg's, as it was the opening salvo in his late career renaissance).

49:00 was also classic Paul - flawed greatness - but it should be pointed out that you won't be able to find it anywhere (for purchase, at least). He had to pull it due to a medley of covers at the end that apparently one of the artists being covered didn't appreciate (did we ever find out who it was?).

Unfortunately, his post-49:00 output has gotten a little stale and predictable, IMO. (About as predictable as me saying that I want him to get out of the basement and record an album with other musicians in the same room. :lol)

• 9 months later...

New single with mysterious download.

Mr. F "This Machine" b/w "Foolish Hand Shake"

LIMITED EDITION multi-colored vinyl w/ picture sleeve

BONUS: comes with free download card which can be redeemed for the epic "Grandpaboy's Last Stand"

$8 + shipping and handling

Limit 1 per customer (orders for more than 1 single will not be shipped)

ORDERED!

^ I ordered that one earlier today. I'm hoping for some pleasant surprises, especially from the download portion [crosses fingers].

I know. He's so random now about releases. I pine for a normal release of some sort in the near future, - maybe a compilation of his best internet stuff. I did get a physical copy of the last ep but dammit I need the artifact and not some mp3.

I know. He's so random now about releases. I pine for a normal release of some sort in the near future, - maybe a compilation of his best internet stuff. I did get a physical copy of the last ep but dammit I need the artifact and not some mp3.

Yeah, I much prefer having the physical item over some so-so sounding MP3. I quite liked 49:00, too bad that never got a CD release--or at least a FLAC download option--before it got pulled. I'm hoping the download portion of this new release has a lossless option and not just an MP3 one.

Hopefully Paul gets back to putting out album length releases in the near future. As much as I enjoy some of Paul's randomly tossed out singles and EPs, something with a bit more effort and labor put into it would be greatly appreciated on occasion. Also, some artwork that doesn't look like it was cut and pasted onto the back of a beercase would be nice :D.

Yeah, I much prefer having the physical item over some so-so sounding MP3. I quite liked 49:00, too bad that never got a CD release--or at least a FLAC download option--before it got pulled. I'm hoping the download portion of this new release has a lossless option and not just an MP3 one.

Hopefully Paul gets back to putting out album length releases in the near future. As much as I enjoy some of Paul's randomly tossed out singles and EPs, something with a bit more effort and labor put into it would be greatly appreciated on occasion. Also, some artwork that doesn't look like it was cut and pasted onto the back of a beercase would be nice :D.

Agreed on all counts. I ordered this one (before they apparently ran out this AM), but I'd love something more substantial... given that he tends to do these things in spurts, that's hopefully right around the corner.

Let's see.

My 20 or so favirites (it's hard to limit it to that few):

• Here Comes a Regular
  • I Will Dare
  • Swingin' Party
  • Left of the Dial
  • Can't Hardly Wait
  • All Shook Down
  • Alex Chilton
  • Color Me Impressed
  • Black-Eyed Susan
  • Valentine
  • Sadly Beautiful
  • The Last
  • Bastards of Young
  • Within Your Reach
  • Unsatisfied
  • Androgynous
  • Talent Show
  • Achin' to Be
  • Runaway Wind

And, for the best of the trashy thrash:

• Run It
  • Otto
  • Shiftless When Idle

I need to give some love to "Don't Tell A Soul". I know alot would disagree with me, but it is my favorite 'Mats album, hands down. From beginning to end I just adore this record. It just grabs me.

I need to give some love to "Don't Tell A Soul". I know alot would disagree with me, but it is my favorite 'Mats album, hands down. From beginning to end I just adore this record. It just grabs me.

Was it the first album of theirs that you heard? Sometimes that makes a difference.

As to me... it's not my "favorite", per se (that is any of three, depending upon my mood). But, I do think that Sorry Ma... is a great, fun record that is far too often overlooked. I frequently find myself singing:

"Everybody gotta go

Ot-to

Ot-to

Everybody gotta go

Ot-to-TO!"

Was it the first album of theirs that you heard? Sometimes that makes a difference.

It was actually. I remember taping "I'll Be You" off the radio, sitting there all day waiting for it to come on. And now the whole album just gives me this nostalgic feeling.

The two new tracks are really great. I haven't really had time to listen to the grandpaboy's last stand yet...but I did skim through - it' seemed too much like a half-baked sketch to me.

Has anyone got a link to the 2 tracks on the actual 7"? I thought that they would be included with the download but no such luck. Thanks in advance!