Meeting the band

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which current members of the band have you met in person?

2. 2. Which former band members have you met in person (while they were still in WIlco)?

• Leroy Bach
    • Jay Bennett
    • Ken Coomer
    • Bob Egan
    • Max Johnson
    • None of the above

Last year at SXSW I was at the Olson-Louris show at the Driskoll Hotel and there was a guy standing next to me who I recognized and I thought might be Nels, but seemed older. Had a couple of younger ladies hangin' with him, too. Turned out to be John Hammond Jr., whom I'd meet a few years back after a show. Slight resemblance, maybe.

john-hammond-001.jpg

Last year at SXSW I was at the Olson-Louris show at the Driskoll Hotel and there was a guy standing next to me who I recognized and I thought might be Nels, but seemed older. Had a couple of younger ladies hangin' with him, too. Turned out to be John Hammond Jr., whom I'd meet a few years back after a show. Slight resemblance, maybe.

john-hammond-001.jpg

I saw John Hammond, Jr. in the front row of The Vogue Theatre (Indy) in 1988, and it was just THE BEST.

After he did the show he walked right up to the bar and I went right over and had the best chat about everything. That dude was really together - dressed in some slick clothes, taking a whiskey .

Anyone who has never seen this guy needs to check him out soon if you can. The best white interpreter of rural country blues I've ever heard live.

Just found out Jay Farrar and Ben Gibbard are playing lunchtime at KBCO tomorrow which is just up the street from where I work. Anybody know how approachable either of them are?

i've met Jay, and found him to be very approachable.

I have run into (stalked?) all the current members, most more than once. Jeff, Nels, Glenn and John have always been charming. Mikael has been hit and miss, and Pat mostly just miss, although I only ran into him once and I certainly sympathize with the fact that it's not his job to meet me. And he wasn't rude or anything - just preoccupied. They all come across as very down to earth and genuinely appreciative of the support and their success.

i havent met any of them but have seen them off-stage many times. a cool moment was before a Autumn Defense record store show in Columbus OH, Glenn and Mikael, were going throw the record shelves, both were into the Avant Garde section. and they were watching the show amongst the rest of the crowd. cool.

i snuck into two separate soundchecks, the highlight was the Otto's Dekalb, IL show, first official Nels performance and first show after Jeff got out of rehab. Jeff was standing next to me offstage in observation while the band played the rhythm to Spiders Kidsmoke.

and Pat mostly just miss, although I only ran into him once and I certainly sympathize with the fact that it's not his job to meet me. And he wasn't rude or anything - just preoccupied.

:blink

i found Pat to be very friendly. he let us into an afterparty without an invite, and another time he accepted our invitation for drinks after the show at a bar (and dragged the rest of the band along, sans Jeff)