Stage lighting and backdrop - winter 2010 tour

I really liked the wild candelabra lighting and tapestry backdrop that Wilco are using on this tour, along with the wild screen/light things. Very impressive, without being overbearing and gaudy. In certain lighting, the tapestry was particularly cool because of the texture and color transitions. Kudos to whoever designed this setup.

Here's the only photo I have that captures much of the setup, although it doesn't capture the multicolored lighting effects that sometimes occurred:

10_Feb_09_044a.jpg

The candle thing was neat - made it feel more intimate. But every time the back drop changed to the colour purple, I thought I was having a stroke - the band went blurry and I would have to close my eyes for a few seconds to let them adjust.

Probably the only downside of front row seats... :)

I'm a new via chicago poster and signed up after traveling through Calgary and seeing their show at the Jubilee. The whole reason I signed up was to find some pictures of this stage design! So glad your started the thread. It was definitely the most unique setup I have seen at a concert. I love the band and I love even more that they took the time and effort to build beautiful visuals to surround the beautiful music. I just saw in another thread that someone mentioned the lighting person is new for Wilco? Apparently they work with another band as well (Grizzly Bear)?? I'm not familiar with them. Does anyone have more information? I absolutely loved what the lighting effects brought to the show and am interested!

Also to AJ673, my sister has troubles with the color purple as well. Her eye doctor said its somewhat rare and has to do with how her cones perceive red/blue light. If they're of equal proportions (purple) the brain doesn't know which to process and gets confused. Sounds like you may have the same symptoms. Sad for you as I loved the purples. So vibrant.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the wild candelabra lighting and tapestry backdrop that Wilco are using on this tour, along with the wild screen/light things. Very impressive, without being overbearing and gaudy. In certain lighting, the tapestry was particularly cool because of the texture and color transitions. Kudos to whoever designed this setup.

Here's the only photo I have that captures much of the setup, although it doesn't capture the multicolored lighting effects that sometimes occurred:

Very cool! That's the first time I think I've ever seen them perform when they're not standing on that same Persian rug that's been around for ages.

The new light show is cool, but gets old real quick. After just couple songs I was wishing for 'candle' lights to go out.

Yeah I agree. The candles and "candleabra" or whatever was cool, but the way they go on/of rhythmically was kinda lame to be honest. A little amateur looking.

What with the insane amount of awesome gear all over the stage, Wilco really doesn't need to do much to spice things up.

Now that you mention Grizzly Bear, I see the similarity... I happened to go to a Grizzly Bear show last November in Brussels (one day after Wilco played also there) and I was pretty impressed with the lights they had. It was beautiful, a different kind of lights, not candelabra but hanging lights, that changed colours and followed rhythmically with the music... Looking forward to see if they bring this over to Europe...

In Halifax they didn't have the candle light things. Or the gong.

They had the gong set up in Halifax, but for some reason removed it before Wilco's set. But yeah, no candelabras. Apparently they can't use those on certain smaller stages. They didn't have them in Québec City, either (or the gong at all, for that matter).

• 2 weeks later...

They had the gong set up in Halifax, but for some reason removed it before Wilco's set. But yeah, no candelabras. Apparently they can't use those on certain smaller stages. They didn't have them in Québec City, either (or the gong at all, for that matter).

That's too bad. I was going to say how it was nice they found a gong for glen that actually fit on stage.